Calibrating a HTC battery

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thing is my 8x will show fully charged then when i remove the charger it then shows 99% right away. If i plug it back in it will then charge to 100% again but this time stay at 100%.

Any ideas?

bobpodesta

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Thing is my 8x will show fully charged then when i remove the charger it then shows 99% right away. If i plug it back in it will then charge to 100% again but this time stay at 100%.

Any ideas?

Same here from day one and it's completely normal. There's nothing much about charging, just don't let it fully discharge (drop down to 0%), since they say it's harmful to battery life.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
what I have been reading on lithium batteries, and charging in that batteries never charge to full, there are set to shut off the charger at 97-99%, and when it does it will show 100 % charge. when you take it off the charger it will show the actual state of charge. you put it back on the charger and it sees it's not at 100% and start charging back to the point of 100%.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much. A li-ion battery will not just stay at 100%. It goes to 100, but then auto discharges down to say 98% or so, then back up. They also only have a limited number of charges in their lifetime. Keeping it plugged in causes a "vampire" effect in which those tiny 100%-98% over and over again take away to the overall lifetime.

I take my phone off the charger the moment it hits 100%. And luckily with my ativ s, its big enough so I don't need to auto charge it at night. I can charge it at like 9am, then noon the next day, etc.

As for calibrating it, my understanding is they don't have "memories" like older batteries, so you don't ever need to condition it. But just like someone above said, don't ever let it die out, its harmful to it, although I can't recall why.

-edit-
Here's a link with some great info.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

jenni122701

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
My 8X never hits 100%. It quits charging at 99% and even if I unplug and sometimes even restart, and then plug back in, it will charge a few mins and cut off, still never actually showing 100%. I just figured thats how it does. I quit letting it bug me.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In all my years of having mobiles, I've charged the phone overnight and never had a problem with the battery dying or noticeably losing life.

I don't bother looking at the percentage when I wake up. If the little battery icon is in the "full" position, that's good enough for me.

jorgejlt

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I heard from HTC.
After a full charge (100%) reset phone without unplugging it. You will see now less than 100. Wait for the 100% and repeat it till the time to get 100% is less than 2 minutes.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I've tried that 'official' HTC battery calibration procedure where you keep resetting it plugged in until it stays at 100%. I gave up after 4 cycles since it seemed the few seconds after restart the charge light was off used a percent or two. I decided the chance for a minor inaccuracy was better than the OCD.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Ohh god now your saying about ocd lol probably got that. I never noticed any phone do it before but i guess seems this is my first built in battery phone it makes sense that they have taken steps to actually stop the user messing up the battery. Thanks guys for the info love you all muchly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs