Using AT&T Nokia Lumia 920 on T-mobile

somubtech

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am planning to switch to T-mobile, I have a Nokia Lumia 920 from AT&T which I got unlocked.
I would like to know if there are any issues, like 3G/4G connectivity when I use this phone on AT&T.
On other blogs I was reading about the frequencies T-mobile uses.
Please anyone whoever using AT&T Lumia920 on T-mobile, throw some light.

carlosrdd

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I gave my mom my old ATT HTC Titan. She's on T-Mobile and only gets 3g and has problems getting and sending pics and texts. Phone calls seem to work but signal drops often. I thought it was location but my dad's galaxy s4 works perfectly on tmoblie. Good luck!!

mtmt88

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
you're in luck, my friend, i just bought a 920 yesterday and am using it on T-mobile now.
popped in my T-mo SIM card, 920 asked for unlock code, entered, no problem.
updated Amber/GRD2 on it (i will write a summary on the sticky "920 update thread" as well - a lot of loose, non-centralized quesitons & answers there.)
the only other thing i did was manually input the APN setting to enable picture text.
i have not done any speed tests on it. also i've exhausted my 500MB 4G data quota, so all my data is on 2G anyhow.
good luck.

RandomNinjaAtk

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I just made this same transition this past weekend. But service in my area is very poor using T-Mobile with my AT&T Lumia 920, so I'm going to get myself a Lumia 925 today. I know this because I picked up a pre-paid Lumia 521 on T-mobile yesterday from walmart to test the same areas where I noticed my service was really bad and it was much better.

I would give using the Lumia 920 on T-mobile a shot, but if you have service coverage issues, it's because the incompatibility of the radio. I would test that by going to your local Walmart and picking up a Lumia 521 to see if your coverage improves. Lumia 521 only supports 4G though, so can't test the LTE with it.

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
you have to add the APN for your carrier, NOTE that att variants of the 920 will only get 2g in selected tmobile markets. re farmed markets will work on 2g, 3g, 3g+, and LTE

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I switched my 920 from ATT to TMobile a few weeks ago. I get L, H+, 3G depending on the area I am in. 90% if the time it's L. From what I read it depends on whether T-Mobile has upgraded in your area. In the metro Detroit area they have so I get good reception wherever I go so far.

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I switched my 920 from ATT to TMobile a few weeks ago. I get L, H+, 3G depending on the area I am in. 90% if the time it's L. From what I read it depends on whether T-Mobile has upgraded in your area. In the metro Detroit area they have so I get good reception wherever I go so far.

What kind of data speeds are you getting ??

somubtech

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I've got mixed reviews, mostly positive tho. I decided to move to T-mobile anyways for better covrage, AT&T sucks in my apartment.
I hope 920 works, if not I will grab 925.

@Kieta: Hey, I believe you are referring to 1700 reframed to 1900 (a quick bing search showed me this info), I live in Austin Metro area, and t-mobile seems to have upgraded Austin. Hopefully I get 3G/4G on my phone.

Thanks all for chipping in your thoughts..

mtmt88

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
you're in luck, my friend, i just bought a 920 yesterday and am using it on T-mobile now.
popped in my T-mo SIM card, 920 asked for unlock code, entered, no problem.
updated Amber/GRD2 on it (i will write a summary on the sticky "920 update thread" as well - a lot of loose, non-centralized quesitons & answers there.)
the only other thing i did was manually input the APN setting to enable picture text.
i have not done any speed tests on it. also i've exhausted my 500MB 4G data quota, so all my data is on 2G anyhow.
good luck.

UPDATE:
T-Mobile just wasn't working me on the Lumia 920.
I was getting decent reception on T-Mo with the 521, but on the 920 signal was very weak, sending/receiving MMS was horrendous.
so I made the move to Straight Talk and worked much better.
the $45 plan with ST was also better than T-Mo's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99