Thinking to buy HTC 8X

Raghav94

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting HTC 8x at the price of Nokia Lumia 720
What could be the cause of such a downfall in price of 8X?
I'm getting it at 57% discount.

I have few questions if anybody of you can answer.
1. 8X or Lumia 720?
2. Will i be able to run ALL WP Store apps on 8X?
3. I heard WP9 is coming soon and there might be a hardware change (Removing of 'back' button). Would i still be able to update to WP8.1?
4. Any chance of getting Nokia apps on 8X?

Last edited:

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I had the 8x before I got my L925. I thought it was a solid phone. Just keep your expectations in check -- it's nearly a year old now.

1. For me, I would go with the 8x over the 720
2. Yes, you will be able to run all WP store apps on the 8X
3. No one knows the answer to this question.
4. As soon as the exclusivity period runs out (usually 6 months), you can load Nokia apps on the 8x. There are many available right now.

The thing that I really loved about the 8x is the external speaker. It sounds great (relatively speaking of course) without headphones.

Raghav94

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I had the 8x before I got my L925. I thought it was a solid phone. Just keep your expectations in check -- it's nearly a year old now.

1. For me, I would go with the 8x over the 720
2. Yes, you will be able to run all WP store apps on the 8X
3. No one knows the answer to this question.
4. As soon as the exclusivity period runs out (usually 6 months), you can load Nokia apps on the 8x. There are many available right now.

The thing that I really loved about the 8x is the external speaker. It sounds great (relatively speaking of course) without headphones.

Thanks for your reply.
Appreciate it.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have an 8X and I'd tell you to get one too, over the 720. you will definitely be able to run everything, except Nokia specific apps, minus Navigation/transit/maps.

You must be referring to wp8.1 and yes it will get updated to wp8.1.

You can install Nokia Pro cam and some others but not all. Overall, you're getting a better looking device, higher resolution screen, and better camera. The phone is nice and I love it. Beats is also I great addition, especially coupled with some nice headphones.

Raghav94

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have an 8X and I'd tell you to get one too, over the 720. you will definitely be able to run everything, except Nokia specific apps, minus Navigation/transit/maps.

You must be referring to wp8.1 and yes it will get updated to wp8.1.

You can install Nokia Pro cam and some others but not all. Overall, you're getting a better looking device, higher resolution screen, and better camera. The phone is nice and I love it. Beats is also I great addition, especially coupled with some nice headphones.

Yes, WP8.1.
How's the battery life? Thought i'd ask since you're using it.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, WP8.1.
How's the battery life? Thought i'd ask since you're using it.

To tell the truth, my battery life has always been good before any updates; Portico/GDR2/3, but it has increased after those updates. One thing to keep in mind with any windows phone, is how many live tile, background processes, email syncing, etc. you have going on. On average I get anywhere between 8-14hrs of mixed usage. Up to a day and half with lighter usage. The 720 supposedly has better battery life, but that may come down to the user.

rocking23nf

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I would avoid the 8x, it doesnt match up with other phones on the market, its a cheaply made phone, colors are wearing off, constant reboots, sim errors, lack of support from HTC, runs super hot if you play games.

bobpodesta

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend you the l720. I was in your shoes a few months ago and chose the 8x over l720. Why the l720?
-Has Nokia support and Nokia apps; HTC wp8 support is very poor and has only 6 apps (compared to dozens on lumia, e.g. Data Sense, Nokia Maps)
-l720 has superior battery. Only 200mAh over the 8x, but the 8x's superior hardware drains more. As for the hardware, I simply do not need 1.5 GHz since I can't even afford any games and the 1.0GHz on lumia performs just as good for everything else.

Nevertheless, I have no complaints about the 8x so far.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I would avoid the 8x, it doesnt match up with other phones on the market, its a cheaply made phone, colors are wearing off, constant reboots, sim errors, lack of support from HTC, runs super hot if you play games.

How doesn't it "match up"? All wp8 devices have the same hardware. All run hot using them for extended period of times. You can't group all 8x with restarts and sim errors. I've had none since November 2012. If anything its Nokia phones that have the most problems, since Nokia continues tweaking them.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree, if you get a windows phone, get a Nokia. Or else you'll be having a sub par windows phone experience. I have a Lumia 920 like my gf does, but my mom has an 8x, mind you she loves it because she just uses it as a phone, but its much more limited and basic

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree, if you get a windows phone, get a Nokia. Or else you'll be having a sub par windows phone experience. I have a Lumia 920 like my gf does, but my mom has an 8x, mind you she loves it because she just uses it as a phone, but its much more limited and basic

I couldn't disagree more. I have owned both the 8x and currently own the L925. While I like the 925 better, the 8x was far from a sub-par windows phone experience and there are some things that I liked better in the 8x over the 925 and still miss to this day. The 8x is the high-end HTC windows phone. Now, some might argue that a mid-range Lumia like the 720 is better than a high end HTC, but that's up to debate and ultimately comes down to what you think is important in a phone. Apart from not being able to use a handful of exclusive Nokia apps, I wouldn't say that the 8x is limited and basic. For me, it took a beauty like the L925 to come along before I decided it was time to move on. I would never have traded it in for a mid-range Lumia. But that's just me...

btw... i like your avatar pic, darkest.white. :)

Raghav94

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback guys.
I think i'll just go with 8X (duh choice)

Wanted to know if panorama and Burst mode is there in 8X?

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have an 8x and a 520 and although my 520 has a few more apps nothing really that i would use day in day out where for a couple of htc apps i use all the time. My 8x has never had any issues although i thought it might have a battery problem but i don't know anything about batteries but turns out its a feature more than a problem. Only thing i would change about my 8x is the flash, turns off when battery low and cant be turned back on but never mind

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte