Data Sense Twitter campaign

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have tried going on AT&T's forums and got no answers. I have tried emailing them, and got no responses. I have tried calling them, and their customer support is worthless....

So now I have decided to spit back every 'tweet' AT&T makes with a response of how they removed data sense. I am also doing it to pretty much every microsoft, and nokia post as well, since they are responsible for LETTING at&t pull that crap.

So feel free to join along. It probably won't make a difference...but you never know. Maybe if enough people flood them, they'll reconsider.

https://twitter.com/whynodatasense

Here are a few examples...

AT&T
90% of teens would stop texting at the wheel if a friend asked. What's the other 10% waiting for? Pledge @ http://soc.att.com/ICW #ItCanWait

me

@ATT 90% of @windowsphone users would stop getting overage charges if you didn't remove datasense from our @nokia phones. @ATTCustomerCare

And here's another one...

Microsoft Store ‏@MicrosoftStore 6h

Start watching a @Netflix movie on your Windows Phone, then finish it up on your #Windows8 device. pic.twitter.com/abXt3W2yxf

where is data sense ‏@whynodatasense
@MicrosoftStore @Microsoft @netflix would if I could monitor data usage, but @ATT removed #datasense no streaming for me!

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Posted a few more responses to @att and @attcustomercare, as well as one to @nokia that i included @selop in. More people need to hound AT&T with #datasense. I can't be the only one who is pissed off about this!!!

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
When a person reaches the adult stage of life, he\she begins to form a daily routine. Part of this routine is cellphone usage. A person ends up using pretty much the same amount most of the time so data sense is pretty much a waste of time. I can always check the ATT website if I'm unsure. I have bigger fish to fry.

ricbon

May 5, 2012
Visit site
When a person reaches the adult stage of life, he\she begins to form a daily routine. Part of this routine is cellphone usage. A person ends up using pretty much the same amount most of the time so data sense is pretty much a waste of time. I can always check the ATT website if I'm unsure. I have bigger fish to fry.
its this attitude that the carriers take advatage of the public and also att and verizon have been caught over charging data to customers

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

See....my wife and i had smartphones for 3 years before I got my windows phone...we NEVER used more than 70mb a month each. We have a 200mb plan. Since switching to the new phones, while on WiFi nearly all day, we have managed to somehow blow through the 200mb on at least 4 occasions. I would love to know what apps are using that data. Data sense will tell me that. I would love to compress my web traffic. Data sense will do that. I would love for my phone to automatically kill my data connection before I go over. Again data sense will do that too. And most importantly, I would like to compare my data usage to what at&t says I use...because frankly I don't trust them.

Explain to me how when I am at home all day Sunday, connected to WiFi, somehow on Monday morning at 1am my phone used 30mb of data?

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
See....my wife and i had smartphones for 3 years before I got my windows phone...we NEVER used more than 70mb a month each. We have a 200mb plan. Since switching to the new phones, while on WiFi nearly all day, we have managed to somehow blow through the 200mb on at least 4 occasions. I would love to know what apps are using that data. Data sense will tell me that. I would love to compress my web traffic. Data sense will do that. I would love for my phone to automatically kill my data connection before I go over. Again data sense will do that too. And most importantly, I would like to compare my data usage to what at&t says I use...because frankly I don't trust them.

Explain to me how when I am at home all day Sunday, connected to WiFi, somehow on Monday morning at 1am my phone used 30mb of data?

I like to use my smartphone as a mobile device, I'm not sure that can be done with a data plan that small.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I like to use my smartphone as a mobile device, I'm not sure that can be done with a data plan that small.

I have WiFi at home and work. I only use it to check the weather and handle my email when out and about. Only time im really not connected to WiFi is when I'm driving or out with the family...and I'm not actively using my phone then (except the camera...which is set to not backup photos to SkyDrive unless on wifi). So the 200mb served me well for 3 years prior. I'm not a heavy user, but I really don't like carriers messing with core functionality of the operating system.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
3 years ago? Your kidding, right? Did windows phones even exist back then? Something a little more current might help your argument.
WP did exist 3 years ago...almost exactly. Regardless...that case died in court because the guy didn't have the $$ to fight it, and AT&T's contract basically forbid you from filing a class action lawsuit.

What is relevant about that is this quote though...

"What's especially telling is how a consulting firm that was hired by the lawyers of the plaintiff conducted its own test of the data billing. Instead of using data and trying to measure it independently for comparison against the bill, the consultant did the exact opposite. The firm bought a new iPhone and immediately turned off all push notifications and location services, made sure that no apps or email accounts were active and then left the iPhone idle for 10 days.AT&T billed the account for 2,292 kilobytes of data over 35 transactions."

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
What makes it irrelevant is it was 3 years ago. Any company can screw up on billing, McDonalds, amazon, comcast, whoever. How many different ways do we need to monitor our bills. It's overkill.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
What makes it irrelevant is it was 3 years ago. Any company can screw up on billing, McDonalds, amazon, comcast, whoever. How many different ways do we need to monitor our bills. It's overkill.

Again, for you, not so important. But if I go 1kb over 200MB I get charged another $15

Here is an example of what I am talking about...

10/14/2013 02:47AM --
Internet/mobile web5605.0 KBs0.00

The entire day of 10/13 We were at home, connected to wifi. Yet somehow my wife's phone used up 5.6MB while we were asleep? what?!?!

10/07/2013 05:03PM --
Internet/mobile web401.0 KBs

I had my Data turned OFF on the 7th (i know, because i am paranoid about this stuff) and somehow I used 401kb?

Again. The monitoring is great.....but I really want the compression and the automatic cutoffs. and to be able to see exactly WHAT is using up my data.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
they told me to contact so-and-so to help solve my problem

...ok.

well a response is always nice I guess.

But I flashed my 920 already, just joining the cause

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have tried going on AT&T's forums and got no answers. I have tried emailing them, and got no responses. I have tried calling them, and their customer support is worthless....

So now I have decided to spit back every 'tweet' AT&T makes with a response of how they removed data sense. I am also doing it to pretty much every microsoft, and nokia post as well, since they are responsible for LETTING at&t pull that crap.

So feel free to join along. It probably won't make a difference...but you never know. Maybe if enough people flood them, they'll reconsider.

https://twitter.com/whynodatasense

Here are a few examples...

AT&T
90% of teens would stop texting at the wheel if a friend asked. What's the other 10% waiting for? Pledge @ http://soc.att.com/ICW #ItCanWait

me

@ATT 90% of @windowsphone users would stop getting overage charges if you didn't remove datasense from our @nokia phones. @ATTCustomerCare

And here's another one...

Microsoft Store ‏@MicrosoftStore 6h

Start watching a @Netflix movie on your Windows Phone, then finish it up on your #Windows8 device. pic.twitter.com/abXt3W2yxf

where is data sense ‏@whynodatasense
@MicrosoftStore @Microsoft @netflix would if I could monitor data usage, but @ATT removed #datasense no streaming for me!

First, as a VZW customer with a shared data plan, my opinion is you are really over estimating the value of datasense but that is not my big concern. The fact that you would attach a whining poor me tweet to a PSA about texting while driving not only will get you nowhere, it also makes the person sending the tweet look self involved and immature. It would be just about as effective to respond to a MADD PSA about drunk driving in a television commercial by saying what really matters is my cable provider charges too much. As far as Microsoft "letting them do it" goes, would you rather have them negotiate deals with carriers to have the phones or complete control and no US market presence? Apple's deal is unique due to their complete control of the hardware; however, I bet if the carriers had that arrangement to negotiate again, they would probably have pushed back more than they did. Apple updates are not free of problems and (as a present tense example) who do you think is really hearing the most about iPhone 5S/IOS7 reboots, Apple or the carriers? WP8 is on hardware from multiple OEMs and (in the US) on two very different networks. The carriers will insist on some degree of control and Microsoft has little choice but to agree or have no market at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea