Battery gets "stuck" at 100 percent

packetwar

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Simple as that. I plug the phone into the HTC AC adapter with the HTC USB cable that the phone came with. I charge the battery from completely dead or mostly dead to 100%. I unplug the phone. It stays at 100% battery, unless I reboot. If I reboot, the phone will show the correct battery usage. If I never reboot, the phone will flash "Goodbye" about a day later (when the battery dies).

Battery life has been pretty decent. I've been fully discharging then fully charging the battery since I got it about 1 week ago, and the issue has persisted. I even reset the phone via "settings, about, reset your phone". This hasn't helped either.

My phone came with the following software right out of the box. Purchased at an AT&T retail store.
wp_ss_20131015_0001.png

Protip: The first phone I got from AT&T (around 2 weeks ago) had a dead pixel and the same software, but didn't have this issue. I swapped it out at AT&T for one without a dead pixel. Now this battery thing happens.

Advice? Or should I just RMA it?

packetwar

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
RMA stands for "return merchandise authorization". Basically, I'm asking if I should replace the phone. The battery LED seems to work correctly. Red & flashing when low, solid red when charging, and green when fully charged. I'll play around with the diag app and report back.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Interesting you mention this issue now. A couple of days ago the battery level stayed at something like 78% for a couple of hours until I restarted, when it then showed the correct level. It's only happened once, but sounds like the same thing.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Dadstar:

Is your diagnostic app link an AT&T exclusive? I'm on T-Mobile and when I look at the HTC apps or do a search I don't see it, but your link took me there. Thanks for the lead, by the way.

packetwar

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
The battery only ever gets stuck at 100%. If I reboot the phone, the battery percentage seems to update itself accordingly until the phone is dead. I downloaded that diag app and ran the battery tester with interesting results. It said I was at 100% battery (I know I wasn't). I ran the test. It took 1 hour. Afterwards, it said my battery was at like 83%, then a few moments later, 82%. I rebooted and now I'm at 13%. I also ran the charger test and that worked fine too.

Edit: it also said it passed the battery test...

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend exchanging it. It seems like a faulty sensor on the battery to me. Giving off false readings like that. This could also be dangerous because if the sensor fails it may not be able to tell the phone to stop charging which will overcharge the battery and could lead to the battery catching fire.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Dadstar:

Is your diagnostic app link an AT&T exclusive? I'm on T-Mobile and when I look at the HTC apps or do a search I don't see it, but your link took me there. Thanks for the lead, by the way.

No, it's available for all phones. There are two ways to get it: click it here, or install SysAppPusher and get it there. I don't remember how I got the app; some weird button combo I think.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If everything else works, then it must be a software issue. Try downloading GDR3 Preview and see if the sensor works?

Edit: I GOT IT! Check out this app:

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=6da9e2b1-c3b9-4817-aa53-e00a92d35343

It completely discharges your battery, resetting all the battery sensors and recalibrating them upon charge. It has made my battery sensors really accurate. Have to do it once a month to get the full effect. Follow the directions of this app, then do the Diagnostic Battery Test. It should work now.

Last edited:

packetwar

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I got ballsy last night and installed the GDR3 Preview. Charged the phone overnight til the light was green. Unplugged it. Battery is at 94% and I haven't had to reboot yet!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05