How to Do Reset

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a problem where my phone will ding and then light up in the middle of the night. I keep my phone on a wireless charger. It is the same thing the phone does when I first set it on the charger. I have tried various fixes and nothing has worked. I chatted with Nokia tech support and they suggested that I do a reset. I assume this is pretty simple, but wanted to know it there was anything I needed to be aware of beforehand.

My phone is setup to backup automatically. I'm going to save all of my photos and music on my computer so that I can move them back. I assume I will lose any data I have in my apps, but that's the breaks. Any other suggestions?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There are two types of resets available.

One is a soft reset. Where you hold Volume Down and the Power button until it vibrates. This will keep all your data but you'll have to reset your clock and date.

Second is what's known as a 'Hard Reset' To do this you need to go to Settings -> About -> press Reset your phone, this will erase all your data including all apps.

I would suggest the first one, then try the second.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
@Tallarob, a reset is not going to change the behavior of your phone when used with a wireless charger. It is doing exactly what mine does in the car, where I have a wireless charger. It charges until full, then stops charging. After the phone's standby state depletes the battery a certain amount (who knows what that amount is?) it will start charging again, which is when you're seeing the screen light up and hearing the "start charge" tones. A reset won't change this.

The solution I use is to use wired charging next to my bed, where it doesn't do this (or I sleep through it, but I doubt that because my wife wouldn't :wink:). I use wireless at work, in the car, at my desk at home, and on my JBL Power-up speaker when using that. This is just how it works with wireless charging for some reason.

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
@Tallarob, a reset is not going to change the behavior of your phone when used with a wireless charger. It is doing exactly what mine does in the car, where I have a wireless charger. It charges until full, then stops charging. After the phone's standby state depletes the battery a certain amount (who knows what that amount is?) it will start charging again, which is when you're seeing the screen light up and hearing the "start charge" tones. A reset won't change this.

The solution I use is to use wired charging next to my bed, where it doesn't do this (or I sleep through it, but I doubt that because my wife wouldn't :wink:). I use wireless at work, in the car, at my desk at home, and on my JBL Power-up speaker when using that. This is just how it works with wireless charging for some reason.

That's what I think, but I don't think it always did this. It may or may not have begun with the Amber update. I know this doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I went online and chatted with Nokia support. The guy I spoke with said he had never heard of this. He said the wireless charger should not shut off. He is the one who told me to do a reset. I think he meant a hard reset - which I really don't want to do.
I have tried the wired charger at night and I think that takes care of the problem, but one night I did hear it go off. It may have been some sort of calendar notification. I had posted my problem elsewhere on the forum and someone recommended "Insider" which is an app that allows you to turn off battery notifications during certain hours. I tried it last night, but it went off again this morning during the supposed quiet hours. I love my phone, but I am getting frustrated.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The answer to this is sound profiles - which we can still hope will come with 8.1.

The person who said the wireless charger shouldn't shut off has never used one and paid any attention to it at all. It shuts off after the battery is full.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss