Question about the high res zoom on the 1020

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I know the 1020 can do up to 4x zoom (4x right?) without a loss in quality which rocks but my question is how do we know how far we are zoomed in without having to reframe then check the picture info then undo it and reframe again to get that 4x. Double tapping the screen puts it at 6x by default but there is no on screen notification when zooming it showing you what level you are at unless I am missing something.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought I always heard it was 3x...but trying to find the answer and I see both 3x and 4x. And 6x for 720p video; so I have no idea, haha.

But just a little devil's advocate here but not sure I get why it matters? If you are at 2x or 3x...it shouldn't matter, both are loss less so as long as you frame up the shot how you need it, it shouldn't matter. Or are you saying you think you want to frame the photo into 5x but don't want to go in that far because you will start to experience the loss so you want it to prompt you when you reach the point of killing pixels.

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Well I take the picture and want to reframe it at max zoom without quality loss but there isn't a way to see what level I am zoomed it at unless I reframe and save, then check picture info and continue doing that until I get the right zoom.

Yeah reading on a few sites I am seeing 3x as well for photos then 4x for 1080p video and 6x for 720p video.

Just wish there was a way to have it go straight to 3x for pics so you get that lossless zoom then if you want to go more or less you can. Seems like right now you have to play with it to get it right to the 3x mark.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, I don't personally like how they describe it as lossless zoom anyway.

If you're shooting at 1x, you're getting 8x oversampling. If you're shooting at 2x, you're getting 4x oversampling. There's going to be a degradation in quality no matter what- it's just that 4x on the 1020 is about the same quality as 1x on many other phones.

So my personal opinion, zoom as much as you need to, and don't worry so much about the whole "lossless" thing.

Last edited:

mrchampipi

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I personaly believe that double tapping on the high res picture gives you that max lossless zoom limit.
You can adjust, move around and reframe from There.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I personaly believe that double tapping on the high res picture gives you that max lossless zoom limit.
You can adjust, move around and reframe from There.

(I have a 920 so this may be a basic question) but when you double tap, can you continue to zoom in further?

I agree in that you should just zoom in until you get the frame you want. If you have to take a 10% loss to get a perfectly framed shot, isn't it worth it? If you feel great about a shot at 2x and 4x...does it really matter if the one has a slight digital zoom loss? Save and print both! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos