The 1020 with external lenses - DIY

landcameras

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
What if you could screw on extra lenses to your 1020? Macro, telephoto and color filters would be available.

I run a small photography retail store and website, so this kind of stuff goes through my head. What if I attach a threaded adapter to the camera grip? Here's the results:

As you can see, we can attach lenses, and even a protective lens cap.

For amusement, here's video taken with a Macro lens:

If anyone wants the parts for this, i'd be happy to supply them.

Attachments

• 1020-macro-1.jpg
    1020-macro-1.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 1020-macro-2.jpg
    1020-macro-2.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 1020-macro-3.jpg
    1020-macro-3.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 1020-macro-4.jpg
    1020-macro-4.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 1020-macro-5.jpg
    1020-macro-5.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 1020-macro-6.jpg
    1020-macro-6.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 1020-macro-7.jpg
    1020-macro-7.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 116
  • 1020-macro-10.jpg
    1020-macro-10.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 1020-macro-11.jpg
    1020-macro-11.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 1020-macro-8.jpg
    1020-macro-8.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You mean you are supplying these parts with a complimentary 1020 for free to anyone on this planet?? GREAT MAN! Let's have some cookies together! :D

landcameras

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
That is actually pretty cool, a nice kit for the 1020 would be awesome

Here's my traveling kit:1020-macro-12.jpg
- Mini tripod (serves as handheld mono pod for concert videos as well)
- Velcro straps for securing the tripod to something (video)
- Camera Grip (now with lens adapter)
- Macro lens
- Extra battery
- Lens cap

if you want the kit or some of them let me know. I sell the lens adapter, and can affix it to a camera grip for you. The lenses and lens cap are inexpensive. I've just ordered a telephoto (2.2x) lens to try out too.

potatopower

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I'm thinking of purchasing something similar in the UK. could you share the tech specs of the lens and the adapter. (ie. what should I search for on Amazon)
Thanks

Here's my traveling kit:View attachment 47439
- Macro lens
- Extra battery
- Lens cap

if you want the kit or some of them let me know. I sell the lens adapter, and can affix it to a camera grip for you. The lenses and lens cap are inexpensive. I've just ordered a telephoto (2.2x) lens to try out too.

landcameras

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I'm thinking of purchasing something similar in the UK. could you share the tech specs of the lens and the adapter. (ie. what should I search for on Amazon)
Thanks

The adapter is custom, I made it from one of my products that I sell in my store. (sorry for the spam, but its in direct response to a question) Filter ring adapter for models 180, 190, 195 | LandCameras.com I had to grind it down to remove the male portions of the thread. I used 5 minute epoxy to adhere it securely to the camera grip.

After that, you can screw anything you want onto the adapter. The ones I sell happen to have a 49mm thread size.

hopefully that answers your questions? I ship worldwide all the time if you want me to send you an adapter.

landcameras

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
How much would it cost buying to you the adapter, the macro and tele lens and the protector?

I'm not sure yet. I just ordered the Tele lens today. When it arrives and I try it out to make sure it is satisfactory. I'll post a kit price here when I know next week.

frank ha

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I did the same mod with the grip but i'm using the 55mm filter ring instead. Did your adapter sometimes got detached when you insert the phone? I found out that when I inserted the phone, the top part clamp thingy will flex the grip then made the ring detached itself. So i had to cut off half of the clamp thingy.
also about the macro filter, its just too bad that the location of the camera lense is not centered. When you attach the macro filter, the result will be half sharp and half blurry. But with bigger diameter of the lens, it is much better than using 49mm filter.

lumia 1020 camera station by Robobit, on Flickr

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Here's my traveling kit:View attachment 47439
- Macro lens
- Extra battery
- Lens cap

Awesome! I'm looking for a camera kit that would "replace" my DSLR on some occasions. I'll msg you

landcameras

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
How about slide-in filters? sure why not

filters-1.jpg

I think only graduated filters would be useful, otherwise we can just use digital WB controls in camera or post process.
filters-2.jpg

landcameras

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I did the same mod with the grip but i'm using the 55mm filter ring instead. Did your adapter sometimes got detached when you insert the phone? I found out that when I inserted the phone, the top part clamp thingy will flex the grip then made the ring detached itself. So i had to cut off half of the clamp thingy.
also about the macro filter, its just too bad that the location of the camera lense is not centered. When you attach the macro filter, the result will be half sharp and half blurry. But with bigger diameter of the lens, it is much better than using 49mm filter.

You're right about the IQ with an offset lens. The only way I can see around this is to use a gigantic ring. 62mm or something and offset it to get the center of the lens as near to the camera lens a possible. I'm willing to live with a bit of fall off. I know its annoying. I'll try a 62mm later and see how obnoxious it is.

Here's an example of the IQ falloff on the right side
1020-macro-iq.jpg

As for the adhesion. The trick is to abrate both surfaces. I used a hand file to rough up the grip surface, and a grinder to completely remove the male portion of the ring. Furthermore, I think my success can also be attributed to the fact I'm adhering to flat on flat surfaces. Whereas yours is trying to stick to the curved surface of the camera bump.

What did you use to bond the surfaces?

BannersI

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, interested in macro and tele lenses, plus some simple way to connect to the 1020 camera grip or some locking interconnect that would fit to the grip and allow addon for macro/tele lens. Would pay around 80-100 gbp for a tidy professional solution...

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
You're right about the IQ with an offset lens. The only way I can see around this is to use a gigantic ring. 62mm or something and offset it to get the center of the lens as near to the camera lens a possible. I'm willing to live with a bit of fall off. I know its annoying. I'll try a 62mm later and see how obnoxious it is.

Will be waiting to see how that turns out. Wonder if Nokia is planning a camera grip that can take removable lenses.

Lawrence Armour

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for 1 1/4 inch adapter for a telescope. If I thought I could use the image sensor for prime focus astrophotography, I'd happly hack the lense off the phone!

landcameras

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I think this wins the prize for rediculiousity, but it works.

1020-telephoto-1.jpg

1020-telephoto-2.jpg

1020-telephoto-3.jpg

The results? ugh.. the problem is the lens offset that creates the massive amounts of CA fringing

Here it is with the 2.2x telephoto. this is a 100% crop of the image
1020-telephoto-sample-1.jpg

This is without any lens attached. The difference is, well obvious.
1020-telephoto-sample-2.jpg

Back to the drawing board on the telephoto solution. :( I need to figure out how to center the external lens over the camera's sensor to do this right.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Great work! I know you can do it and honestly like I said before I wouldn't mind paying for it cause it's much better than carrying around a heavy bag with heavy lens.

I keep hoping there's a new update to this thread everyday!

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte