The 1020 with external lenses - DIY

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Subscribing....for a guy that knows absolutely nothing about photography I would love a kit like this for my 1020 if reasonable. I've always liked to take photos with my phone so this may help prompt me to learn a little something:)

sarthakm

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Ordered a Magnetic Lens kit (4 in 1)... It comes with a silver ring and black lens units. Probably won't look that bad on a Black Lumia 1020.

Wondering how the Fisheye or Telephoto ones work? You can find several different one on eBay for quite cheap.

Rudiepoo1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ordered a Magnetic Lens kit (4 in 1)... It comes with a silver ring and black lens units. Probably won't look that bad on a Black Lumia 1020.

Wondering how the Fisheye or Telephoto ones work? You can find several different one on eBay for quite cheap.

Happen to have a link?

mythos13

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
When the prototype is done, will it be possible to order a yellow, modded camera grip with a lens kit and have it shipped to Canada?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I too, bought that magnetized lens set from Amazon. I dont really advise it. They do work, however, the Macro lens is pretty bad. The focal point is way too narrow, to be expected with such a small lens. I do wish there were a elegant solution with a larger lens attachment. :(

sarthakm

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I too, bought that magnetized lens set from Amazon. I dont really advise it. They do work, however, the Macro lens is pretty bad. The focal point is way too narrow, to be expected with such a small lens. I do wish there were a elegant solution with a larger lens attachment. :(

With the macro, you have to be quite close to the subject (only few cm) and there is massive focus falloff as you move to the edges.

Just found this: Stuff from my brain or camera

It looks pretty good. The lens is centered.

IMHO there's no way to mod the camera grip to both have the lens centered and not destroy the hole of the grip. If we want to use the grip, we need to mod it heavily, and it may look too ugly, unless there are some magical ways to "move" the hole of the grip a few milimeters to the right.

I think we should be fine with modding a 5$ back cover, as seen in the link above.

The Sugru idea is brilliant however, sugru itself is expensive and a little difficult to mould in a way that the filter adapter is perfectly positioned. I'd be willing to pay $40 for a plastic case with a filter adapter readymade (not handmade with sugru of course).

Sugru Hack (Credit "Stuff from my brain or camera"
bdXiWCL.jpg

KOsQPQY.jpg

That brings us back to the beastgrip. So far the best method to get a centered lens without hacking/destroying something. It is a little pricey at $80 shipped but does allow attaching ext. accessories.

Last edited:

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey landcameras, nice work! For a bit of inspiration, check out the LensMate website. They make SLR lens adapters for non-SLR cameras. I have one for my Canon SX-10 IS and love it! They obviously don't have an adapter for a 1020 eight now, but I'm sure if you check out their adapters, it may help you.
http://www.lensmateonline.com/

TheTHM

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I still need to test the focal distance between the SLR lens and the camera to make any adjustments needed to the length of the barrel on the exterior. Hopefully I can shave off some material and end up with a cheaper model to 3D print. Right now it's around $60 USD to print on Shapeways. Not too bad, but I'd like it to be cheaper.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss