Jump on a 1020 or wait for Verizon version?

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok I'm totally undecided here with the current $0 for a 1020 in MS stores promotion (there's a store near me doing it supposedly). I was really wanting a 1020 (mostly due to the camera), but I'm on Verizon. I'm ok with going to AT&T, but my contract isn't up until mid-December. So I was trying to wait it out and see if VZW is going to get a 1020 variant but so far all I've seen is they are getting a 1520 which I'm not interested in (too big, doesn't have the 1020's camera). I'm thinking of bailing early on Verizon due to the current $0 promotion though because I'll pay $130 in ETF (just verified with Verizon) but that's $70 cheaper than paying an estimated $199 for a 2 year contract phone if Verizon actually gets one, or if I wait until December and go to AT&T since the $0 thing will be over long before then. What do you guys think? What would you do?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
If you're happy with Verizon, stick with them and get whatever they end up with. I would never switch to a lesser carrier just for a phone, and there are so many complaints about AT&T by customers, it's ridiculous.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Even if Verizon gets the 1020, I doubt they'll bother updating the phone :/, take a leap of faith, I'm with you.

LOL it'll be a pretty big leap. Not just a carrier change but going from Android to WP8 as well. I recently picked up an Android tablet which will keep me in the loop with that side, I've been thinking WP8 will work great for the phone side for me though. The camera on the 1020 is a big part of it though. I'd been thinking about getting a point & shoot for when I didn't want to haul my DSLR around because my Android phones have all had horrible cameras. The 1020 sort of solves that problem. All the stuff I mainly do on my phone is easily handled by WP8, and I was originally wanting it for XBox Live Music too (long time Zunepass subscriber). I know XBM finally has an app on Android now but I think it came out too late to sway me away from the 1020's camera. Now I just have to make that final "yes this will work" decision.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
LOL it'll be a pretty big leap. Not just a carrier change but going from Android to WP8 as well. I recently picked up an Android tablet which will keep me in the loop with that side, I've been thinking WP8 will work great for the phone side for me though. The camera on the 1020 is a big part of it though. I'd been thinking about getting a point & shoot for when I didn't want to haul my DSLR around because my Android phones have all had horrible cameras. The 1020 sort of solves that problem. All the stuff I mainly do on my phone is easily handled by WP8, and I was originally wanting it for XBox Live Music too (long time Zunepass subscriber). I know XBM finally has an app on Android now but I think it came out too late to sway me away from the 1020's camera. Now I just have to make that final "yes this will work" decision.

I do not intend to start a war over here, but WP is a polished, smooth, lag free OS period. The lack of apps is killing it.
The leap of faith my friend, is always big.

Last edited:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I would think if a Verizon 1020 were in the works, we'd have some leaks about it. I guess you'll probably know in a couple days.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I would think if a Verizon 1020 were in the works, we'd have some leaks about it. I guess you'll probably know in a couple days.

2 to be precise.

Oh? Hmmm, maybe I will hold off on actually buying until Tuesday then? I'm still going to go look at it today and ask some other questions at the store. Plus I didn't realize there was one in my area so I want to go see what they have lol. Yeah I'm not worried about apps, all the stuff I use/need to use on a phone either has official or supposedly good 3rd party (MetroTalk for instance for Google Voice) apps.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I guess I'm waiting. The store near me was not supposed to be doing the free with two year contract thing. I showed up and they said "sorry we can't give out the deal anymore". Hour round trip drive for nothing :(

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
1020 isn't selling all that well. Wait just a little while. If it was free once it will be free again. Sad treatment for a flagship phone, but great for the consumer. If ATT is solid in your area it's as good a carrier as there is.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh? Hmmm, maybe I will hold off on actually buying until Tuesday then? I'm still going to go look at it today and ask some other questions at the store. Plus I didn't realize there was one in my area so I want to go see what they have lol. Yeah I'm not worried about apps, all the stuff I use/need to use on a phone either has official or supposedly good 3rd party (MetroTalk for instance for Google Voice) apps.
I am 99.9% sure it is not coming to verizon anytime soon :D, 2 day wait for 6 more devices, but it won't have the 1020 for VZN for sure.
1020 isn't selling all that well. Wait just a little while. If it was free once it will be free again. Sad treatment for a flagship phone, but great for the consumer. If ATT is solid in your area it's as good a carrier as there is.
Really? - Where is your homework?
Galaxy S4 Lumia 1020 sales strong, BlackBerry 10 sales weak | BGR
Despite presumptions otherwise, the Nokia Lumia 1020 is selling at least as well as the Lumia 928 | Windows Phone Central
“Nokia 1020 is a top 3 selling smartphone at AT&T,” says Canaccord Genuity | WMPoweruser

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

Find the 1020 for me on that adduplex pie chart for me will you? where is your homework. Nobody has any real numbers other than "it's selling great!" If something is selling great you don't drop the price from $300 to free in 2 months of it's release date. Nice phone but nobody is standing in line to buy it.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Find the 1020 for me on that adduplex pie chart for me will you? where is your homework. Nobody has any real numbers other than "it's selling great!" If something is selling great you don't drop the price from $300 to free in 2 months of it's release date. Nice phone but nobody is standing in line to buy it.

Atleast I did my homework instead of imagining things ;).
The yellow model was sold out on Amazon, don't beleive me here's what sources say - http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia-Lumia-1020-online-pre-orders-sell-out-for-AT-T_id45428
Yea, nobodys buying it and it reached top 3 by some error - Amazon’s One Day Lumia 1020 Sale Pushes it to #3 in Top Selling Phones : My Nokia Blog
I don't know why you've to compare a phone's resale value/price drop in contract to its market share, seriously.
While competitors boast of innovation and $599 on contract prices, this fat fella 1020, available for free is stealing the show.

You still haven't done your homework.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

Yeah it's tied with Verizon based on one of the independent sites. Can't remember the name off hand, but it's one of the ones I've seen recommended around here for checking reliability actually. Some of the guys I off-road with have AT&T also and they have signal where I have nothing at all with Verizon (which really surprised me). Also found out my fiancee gets a 24% discount on AT&T through her work vs. my 15% with Verizon or the 17% I could get on my own with AT&T so even though I hadn't really thought about consolidating to her account, it would be silly not to with those numbers. I knew she was getting a discount, but didn't know until today how good it actually was lol.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
The 520 is the phone that is pushing those sales figures, not the 1020. The thread is about att or wait for verizon. As many have stated, you can't even find any info about the 1020 in many att locations. The microsoft stores are even confused about pricing even though they are literally giving it away, or at least supposed to be until early november. World wide nokia appears to be ok. But in the US (this thread) the 1020 isn't blowing anyone away. Great phone, i would like to have one myself, but like sales charts show of actual numbers, it's the cheap nokia phones that sell large numbers. Although now that it is free on contract, maybe it could be considered a cheap phone. However, i would not. (this is for 007 dude)

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
The 520 is the phone that is pushing those sales figures, not the 1020. The thread is about att or wait for verizon. As many have stated, you can't even find any info about the 1020 in many att locations. The microsoft stores are even confused about pricing even though they are literally giving it away, or at least supposed to be until early november. World wide nokia appears to be ok. But in the US (this thread) the 1020 isn't blowing anyone away. Great phone, i would like to have one myself, but like sales charts show of actual numbers, it's the cheap nokia phones that sell large numbers. Although now that it is free on contract, maybe it could be considered a cheap phone. However, i would not. (this is for 007 dude)

The title of this thread, not sure if you read it properly mate.
No point talking to you anymore, you win, go celebrate with something you like.
I'm done talking to this guy.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat - my Verizon contract is up, so I went to ATT in NYC, only to find that there is only (1) windows phone tucked into the corner of the store next to the flip phones, and its the Lumia 520. I ask the salesperson about the 1020, and her response, we don't have that one, try another store. FAIL.........I just don't get it, what the fu<k is wrong with MS - your spending 100's of millions of dollars on advertising these things, and the carriers don't even have them on display. There was a huge display for the Note 3/Gear/Galaxy S4, Tablets, another huge display for the MotoX, and Iphone/Ipad..........but not a single sign for windows phone in the entire store. NOW....THATS HOW YOU GET MARKET SHARE.............I refuse to buy another Android phone, guess ill just have to wait until the 1020 comes to Verizon, and who the hell knows when that's going to happen, or even if it will happen.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same boat - my Verizon contract is up, so I went to ATT in NYC, only to find that there is only (1) windows phone tucked into the corner of the store next to the flip phones, and its the Lumia 520. I ask the salesperson about the 1020, and her response, we don't have that one, try another store. FAIL.........I just don't get it, what the fu<k is wrong with MS - your spending 100's of millions of dollars on advertising these things, and the carriers don't even have them on display. There was a huge display for the Note 3/Gear/Galaxy S4, Tablets, another huge display for the MotoX, and Iphone/Ipad..........but not a single sign for windows phone in the entire store. NOW....THATS HOW YOU GET MARKET SHARE.............I refuse to buy another Android phone, guess ill just have to wait until the 1020 comes to Verizon, and who the hell knows when that's going to happen, or even if it will happen.

It'll be a long time wait my friend.
Here is a graphical representation,

4c0pc.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett