No GDR3 for me because lazy *** Samsung?

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
So I got exited for the extra row of tiles... Finally the jail braking of Ativ S has something very useful and interesting. When I started to look in to this, I figured that I don?t need to even hard reset?! I can do everything by only upgrading etc? Well I did everything, registered my device as developer device, interop-unlocked it and was all ready to go? but but but? Then it comes; to get the GDR3, MS wants me to be running 8.0.10322.71 or never rom. Crappy *** Samskunk has not released GDR2 in Scandinavia, so Im on GDR1. This sucks major balls now, because Im out of luck I think?

And yes I know I can flash the GDR2, but I don?t want to spend my day on getting everything back in to my device. I was a WM ?user and was flashing my devices all the time back then. That took a lot of time when counting in all installing of apps and settings. Ive been quite happy with WP because no more of wasting time on things that?s really not worth it when you think of it. So I would prefer not to go with flashing route at all..!

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Updates are released by carriers. Rarely by OEMs. Try manually checking for an update, or edit your registry to
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo] 
"PhoneMobileOperatorName"="000-AT"

Restart your phone and manually check for an update. It should update to GDR2.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have checked manullay for the update. No luck on unlocked device in Scandinavia, which I think is the case for everyone... But I will try to get it via your suggestion, will report back soon!

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
edit your registry to
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo] 
"PhoneMobileOperatorName"="000-AT"

Restart your phone and manually check for an update. It should update to GDR2.

Yes yes yes yes, downloading GDR2 as we speak... Thank you so much!

Had to change it from 000-SE to 000-AT and update was found!

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Just realized that naturally I was also flashing 7 Pro and Titan in WP7, but still, I want to avoid starting to put hours to my phone again.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm still feeling uncomfortable with the idea of "unlocking" the phone, is there any workaround to get GDR2 update faster without unlocking the phone?

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm still feeling uncomfortable with the idea of "unlocking" the phone, is there any workaround to get GDR2 update faster without unlocking the phone?

Unlocking is safe, as it just increases the sideload limit, overriding the ability to install interop applications.

That is the only way to get GDR2

Shayx

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I have an unbranded Ativ s. i suppose this setting is faking the phone as AT&T branded so it can get the update?
can it screw up anything for me? would you recommend to set it back to what it was after installing GDR2 & 3?

can you post a reliable and simple guide for interop-unlocking? i'm already developer unlocked. thanks.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It was super easy. Im on phone so I hope I remember all steps.

You need the sdk installed and register your phone, but if you are developer unlocked I guess you have that...

Go to xda, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2435697 here. From this topic get all xap's, deploy them in to your device in the order instructed. Just follow instructions and its easy as breezy.

If I missed something, I cancheck better later when on a computer.

Last edited:

Shayx

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
thanks i will check it tomorrow and try to follow the steps.
i already have the SDK installed so i hope it will be easy-breezy-cover girl. (LOL had to).

just another thing, if the device is interop-unlocked (can we get a shortcut for that?!) so you could also disable advertisement like on rooted androids
with a host file? sure would love that :)

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Hahaha..

The functions you get are pretty limited atm, at least compared to what you get from rooting Android. Im sure though, that more tweaks will appear all the time from now on.

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have an unbranded Ativ s. i suppose this setting is faking the phone as AT&T branded so it can get the update?
can it screw up anything for me? would you recommend to set it back to what it was after installing GDR2 & 3?

can you post a reliable and simple guide for interop-unlocking? i'm already developer unlocked. thanks.

It isn't AT&T. It is a EU OPEN. This MO ID was the first to receive GDR2 and should be the same for other major/minor updates

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Samsung delivers updates to unbranded devices first, especially regional first (e.g UK, Asia) instead of national (e.g. Scandinavian, Greek). Last is branded devices as Samsung delivers updates first and allows carriers to take their own sweet time.

Nokia delivers updates to branded devices first (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Verizon), then national (e.g. Singapore, usually one of the first few to receive updates), then lastly regional unbranded devices (e.g. UK ROM, Asia ROM)

Samsung does the opposite as Nokia, both good and bad. Unlike Nokia, unbranded Samsungs are the first to receive while unbranded Nokias receive it last

ak0ska

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
That is interesting. I have a Scandinavian flavor (bought in Switzerland I might add), and still no Gdr2. That, IMO, is a huge delay for an unlocked, unbranded phone.

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

benjaminsen

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Samsung delivers updates to unbranded devices first, especially regional first (e.g UK, Asia) instead of national (e.g. Scandinavian, Greek). Last is branded devices as Samsung delivers updates first and allows carriers to take their own sweet time.

Nokia delivers updates to branded devices first (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Verizon), then national (e.g. Singapore, usually one of the first few to receive updates), then lastly regional unbranded devices (e.g. UK ROM, Asia ROM)

Samsung does the opposite as Nokia, both good and bad. Unlike Nokia, unbranded Samsungs are the first to receive while unbranded Nokias receive it last

How do you know that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb