Newbie questions about updating

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi All
A defector from iPhone here, and I'm really pleased with my 1020, glad I made the switch.
I have questions about the firmware and updates that I hope you can answer. I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks, but I'm not too sure about the updates cycle compared with iOS.
I'm in the UK, and my phone has the Three UK firmware, but has been unlocked and I'm using it on O2. It is on Amber with 3049.0000.1330.10165, and the firmware version is RM-875_eu_euro1_260.
So what I'd like to know is:
1. How will updates work? I just checked via settings and it tells me my phone is up-to-date. Will update availability now depend on Three, or on O2? I'd generally like to be able to install updates asap.
2. Can I change the firmware to get rid of the Three branding and settings, and perhaps put a non-branded version in? If I did, would that affect the update cycle? As I'm an O2 customer, would I be better putting an O2 version on? How do I go about doing either the unbranded or the O2 change?
Any help will be gratefully received!
Thanks
Steve

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
1. How will updates work? I just checked via settings and it tells me my phone is up-to-date. Will update availability now depend on Three, or on O2? I'd generally like to be able to install updates asap.
Updates will depend on 3 UK, since your Firmware is based on them
2. Can I change the firmware to get rid of the Three branding and settings, and perhaps put a non-branded version in? If I did, would that affect the update cycle? As I'm an O2 customer, would I be better putting an O2 version on? How do I go about doing either the unbranded or the O2 change?
Yes it is possible, at your own risk
Check this thread - http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/246543-want-re-flash-my-1020-unbranded-rom.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...nyone-flashed-att-1020-international-rom.html
It has links to other places

How do you find your 1020, after iswitch? - And any comments on my current avatar?

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I got an o2 phone but switched to 3 (so a reverse of what you got), and had been waiting for updates too, but according to my settings it too said that it was up-to-date. Was just about to flash a non-brand firmware and part of the process was to install a nokia suite. Connected phone to nokia suite, and it let me download the latest update! so worth trying nokia suite. Link of nokia suite is mentioned by montsa007 above.

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far, they have been very helpful.
Here's where I've got to so far:
- I've identified the firmware I want to change to as "Euro GB CV Yellow (059T4N3)", for the non-branded version
- I've downloaded that using the Data Package Manager, and it is in the right folder on my PC
- I've run the Product Support Tool and attached my 1020, and chosen Refurbish

1020 files.JPG

As you can see here, it is not seeing the new firmware, as it is saying "New Software Version: Not available" and the Start button is greyed out, so I guess I've done something wrong up to this point.

Can anyone tell me what I have to do next to get the new firmware installed? Many thanks!

PS @montsa007, very funny avatar!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion