Too late to buy 925?

PeltFrelken

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Seriously considering the T-Mobile 925. Has the phone been out too long to make it a smart buy?

I didn't see anything at Nokia World that hinted at an alternative that fits my needs.

Also, will the 925 be able to upgrade to WP 8.1 ?

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
It will be upgradeable to GDR3, no word yet on what 8.1 would require, although I don't see any reason why MS would not make it available to all WP8 Lumias.

The 925 is a really awesome device. Even now I am impressed with it's camera, even though I am currently using the 1020 as my day to day phone. I have since handed down my 925 to my mom, who immediately slapped on a screen protector and got a Capdase flipcover for it and it's now looking really great and even more sexier than it did when I owned it. The only real downside I could think of would be the 16GB storage, which became problematic once I got trigger happy with games. The screen is great even though it's not 1080p. Battery life is ok. The build is awesome and surprisingly sturdy. But the best part i sthat I still think its the sexiest device Nokia ever made, even if we factor in the devices announced at Nokia world.

So bottomline is, I think it's still a good buy, especially since it's probably now going on sale everywhere (at least here in the Philippines it is).

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I will also be buying the Lumia 925. It is aging very well, as it was already mentioned the only downside is the 16 GB nonexpandable storage. But it still has a GREAT camera despite being somewhat old (Imo, only beaten by 1020, 1520, and iPhone 5S. Maybe LG G2). It is probably the best 92x device considering its thin and attractive design. I'm not saying the 920 and 928 look bad, I actually prefer that typical Lumia design, but they're too thick imo! That's why I'm getting this phone (although, I admit, if the 1520 was available on T-Mobile I would go with that).

I wouldn't worry about not getting WP 8.1, I would just worry about how long you'll have to wait. Fortunately, though, T-Mobile doesn't seem to be as bad with updates as AT&T/Verizon are.

I am not happy with the limited availability of cases/accessories for the 925, though. It seems that most manufacturers are not making cases for this Lumia.

emptyfish

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
As far as the internals, I don't think there's a significant difference between the 925 and more recent entries like the 1020 to assume. I would be very surprised if the 925 didn't make the 8.1 list. I would say it depends on the timeline though.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
if you can wait, i'd hold out for one of the newer 1080p phones. if they shrunk the bezel enough, the phone shouldn't feel much bigger in the hand than the 925.

i think they got a processor upgrade, too.

PeltFrelken

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Ya, I saw a 925 at a T-Mobile store today and I found the bezel quite large. Nice looking phone, but I honestly don't think there's enough there for me to upgrade from my 521. But, it also depends on what Windows Phones T-Mobile gets in the coming months. We will see.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ya, I saw a 925 at a T-Mobile store today and I found the bezel quite large. Nice looking phone, but I honestly don't think there's enough there for me to upgrade from my 521. But, it also depends on what Windows Phones T-Mobile gets in the coming months. We will see.

I don't think T-Mobile will get any new Lumias until next year :(

But if you're willing to wait then I would! My problem is that I'm so impatient lol.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I assume you would be doing service plan on the phone, if so and you are going to make the $24/month, just do jump then swap when new phones are out. My wife has the 521 and I have the 925, believe me it is a huge difference in my opinion.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I assume you would be doing service plan on the phone, if so and you are going to make the $24/month, just do jump then swap when new phones are out. My wife has the 521 and I have the 925, believe me it is a huge difference in my opinion.

Actually, if you order online you can pay a down payment of $20 and then $20/month, which I think is good. Or you can pay the full $500 (but you might be able to find a better deal on ebay if you want to pay full price).

I agree it's definitely a huge difference. The screen is bigger and much higher quality, the build quality is more premium, the camera is a big upgrade, and the 925 much more future proofed than the 521.

PeltFrelken

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Actually, if you order online you can pay a down payment of $20 and then $20/month, which I think is good. Or you can pay the full $500 (but you might be able to find a better deal on ebay if you want to pay full price).

I agree it's definitely a huge difference. The screen is bigger and much higher quality, the build quality is more premium, the camera is a big upgrade, and the 925 much more future proofed than the 521.

Thank you, this is helpful.

booyasaka

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone had any problems with the storage being 16gb?
That's the only thing that's holding me back from getting the 925. I take a decent amount of pics and I feel like I'll use it up real fast.

anon(5345625)

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't expect any new devices, let alone 920+ class devices, to launch until next spring at the earliest. At thing point only the 520, 720 and 820 lines haven't been updated recently.

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone had any problems with the storage being 16gb?
That's the only thing that's holding me back from getting the 925. I take a decent amount of pics and I feel like I'll use it up real fast.

It depends on your usage. When I first got it I had no problems.I have about 3GB worth of songs on the phone, all my documents on SkyDrive, with my pics auto uploading as well. I've only had problems when I became trigger happy with my game downloads, which was doubly problematic because I like RPGs which have relatively huge file sizes. If you're not into games I think the 16GB will suffice.

booyasaka

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
It depends on your usage. When I first got it I had no problems.I have about 3GB worth of songs on the phone, all my documents on SkyDrive, with my pics auto uploading as well. I've only had problems when I became trigger happy with my game downloads, which was doubly problematic because I like RPGs which have relatively huge file sizes. If you're not into games I think the 16GB will suffice.
Sweet, thanks for the response.

dosto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd grab the 925. It's a great phone and will serve you well for quite some time. Tmobile probably won't get another high end Lumia until next Summer.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
As for 8.1 based on history I wouldn't count on it. Windows Mobile (later phone) 6.5.4 was not upgradable to wp7.

Wp7 isn't upgradable to wp8, heck my titan 2 still hasn't seen 7.8

I doubt 8.1 will come to wp8 devices

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Windows Mobile devices were incompatible with Windows Phone 7 partly because of the shift to a new design language. Moving from Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8 on the other hand brought about a change in kernel, hence WP7 devices weren't upgradable to WP8. I doubt Microsoft would do either a design language change, or a kernel change at this point. So other than hardware limitations, I don't see any barrier for WP8 devices to not be able to upgrade to WP8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte