View Poll Results: Are you waiting on a 920 successor?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

130 82.28%
  • no

28 17.72%
01-25-2014 08:47 AM
66 123
tools
    I thought it was the 1520, until ATT F'ed it up and gimped it.
    10-24-2013 03:30 PM
    A true successor? For me that would be the 1520 specs in a 925 body. Perhaps a slightly larger screen, cut the bezel and rock a 4.7" with the same device size. I mean the S4 is just slightly bigger than the 920 and it has a 5".
    mrshamoozoo likes this.
    10-24-2013 06:35 PM
    Actually while the 920 is nice I think the 925 could be the phone I would like to get. Execpt that it needs a SD card slot, choice of 16, 32, or 64GB memory, a removable battery and a 4.7 screen, and a quad core processor while we're at it. The new phones Nokia just came out with are (at least I think so) not what MOST people want. Whats the best selling Lumia phone, 520/521. Small; but it works and its cheap. It does what most people want a smart phone to do and remain affordable. Maybe these big phones may sell; but they are not the phones that are going to get the market share that WP8 needs. I got the 820 in the first place because it was smaller than the 920, had a nice size screen and all the things I list above but the internal memory, same guts as the 920. I would like to upgrade one day; but the way things are going my 820 looks like it will have to do until Nokia (or Microsoft) make a phone I want to replace it with. Not hollding my breath.
    10-24-2013 06:49 PM
    I would like to have some spec bumps, like 1080p screen, larger battery, and the most important: increase memory size! live tiles/background agents and multitasking really depends on this, and those are the soul of wp8,

overview_hero.jpg

Would like to see a design evolution, introducing aluminium unibody, weight reduction, bezel reduction and make the screen closer to the glass.

I really love my 920, and with these improvments, it could become more than a masterpiece, which it is already.
    10-24-2013 07:19 PM
    well after much contemplating I decided not to get the 1020 after all, the 1520 at 6inch is way to big for me. The L920 is perfect in size as I can use it one handed, personally I don't mind if they keep the curved back as long they include a bigger battery, like most would like a snap dragon 800 quad core clocked at 2.2ish ghz. 32gb / 64gb + mSD support upto 64gb, 1080p screen (non pentile)

The heft is not issue for me, I find the L920 light as a feather. The iphone feels like a fragile kids toy in comparison, I dared my brother in law to do a drop test.. as he kept saying how durable his Iphone 5 is. So I deliberately I dropped my L920 from dining table high onto kitchen floor (that is how his screen broke even with a silicone case) as we were talking and went oops, He was laughing his *** off saying "see not so tough now!", his glee disappeared as soon as i picked up, wiped the screen off my jeans, put it on the table with glance running and went soo how long did you wait in line to get your 9th replacement? lol.

Right now his on his 12th, 10th broke just as he was coming out of a cab and it hit the pavement - the back got slippery in the rain, 11 fell out when he was cycling and the screen cracked lol, I guess you could say his making the most out of his apple care plan lol. But yeah the iphone 5 is really durable isn't it? /s.
    10-24-2013 08:14 PM
    I can't upgrade until November of 2014, so I'm obviously not concerned with it. However, there does NEED to be a successor to the 920 for the general masses. They aren't going to skip over an iPhone 5S or a Galaxy S4, or even a Moto X, if the Windows Phone alternative is a device whose SoC is 18 months old already. Signing up for 2 years of that is just silly, if you're considering the high-end devices from the competition. They don't even need to put the Snapdragon 800 in a successor, the 600 would be fine. 1080p isn't a big deal either. 4.5-5.0" with a Snapdragon 600, 1280x768 resolution, 2 GB of RAM, 32 GB of storage, and wireless charging is really a passable line of specs for a successor. Just up the SoC and RAM, and make the thing cooler and maybe lighter/thinner.
    10-24-2013 08:16 PM
    ... what no gold casing??? LOL

Seriously though, on the hardware size the successor to my 920 should be :-
    • same size (or slightly bigger) with the 3rd column on the start screen.
    • 2GB RAM
    • 20mp camera fast between shots
    • 64GB memory
    • USB OTG
    • FM transmitter (I really missed this feature I had on my C7-00)
    • Battery usage has to be twice as long
    10-24-2013 09:41 PM
    Basically a 1520 in a 4.8-5"screen would do it for me. Not sure what else I would want in it...
    10-24-2013 11:42 PM
    4.8" screen
    Thinner bezel
    CPU can be the same.. It's already fast enough in my opinion
    2GB RAM
    32GB + MicroSD
    41MP Pureview in a body with either no bump or one like the 925 has
    Xenon flash
    As light as the 1020
    Wireless charging
    10-24-2013 11:43 PM
    There really isn't too much of a difference between a 4.6" and a 5" phone. I'd be happy with a 5" phone with 1520 specs, a'la rumored 929. Let's just hope it gets announced soon.
    10-25-2013 12:21 AM
    I'm going to guess that a 5" flagship is going to be the launch phone for WP 8.1 early 2014. In which case it would be in direct competition with the Galaxy S5 since that will also be announced around the same time.
    10-25-2013 02:16 AM
    They don't even need to put the Snapdragon 800 in a successor, the 600 would be fine. 1080p isn't a big deal either. 4.5-5.0" with a Snapdragon 600, 1280x768 resolution, 2 GB of RAM.
    A few corrections:

According to Nokia, the 800 is actually more power efficient than the 600. The price difference is small, and I have yet to hear that the 600 is even certified for use with WP. For all these reasons, and because it is (and always has been) MS' goal to strictly limit hardware fragmentation, it seems unlikely that we will ever see the 600 SoC in a WP device. Let's hope we never do, as that additional fragmentation isn't worth what we get in return (basically nothing but an extra SoC to support).

Also, the 2GB models have that extra 1GB of RAM to use as graphics memory. Therefore, devices with display resolutions below 1080p will continue to ship with 1GB of RAM. This sacrifices absolutely nothing, because putting 2GB of RAM in a 768p device would basically mean the device is powering RAM that is never used... as no app on such a device would ever load their large 1080p resources. In a nutshell, 768p with 2GB RAM makes zero sense.

What I think is missing from Nokia's portfolio is a device in the size range you mentioned, with a 720p display, 1GB RAM, but with the 800 SoC. That would truly fly, as you'd have the same powerful GPU pushing half the pixels of its slouchy 1080 brethren (in comparison). Pair that with WP8.1 and I'd be willing, for the first time, to buy another WP device since WP7.0.
    10-25-2013 03:04 AM
    920 successor has to be a good one to win the fight
    10-25-2013 03:10 AM
    A5cent)- The 1020 has 2gb RAM to deal with image processing from the massive camera sensor, not a 1080p display.
    10-25-2013 09:03 AM
    I still have a year left on my Lumia 920 contract so I will get whatever is out at the time
    6Kings likes this.
    10-25-2013 10:10 AM
    Yes, I am. The 1520 is too big for me. I am looking for:

4.5-4.7 inch 1080p display (I'm not sure if I prefer AMOLED or LCD; I've only owned phones that have LCD displays)
    Thin, colorful, matte unibody design
    Huge Battery
    Pureview lossless zoom camera (20 MP is good enough for me, I would take the 1520's camera over the 1020's because of that huge bump)
    At least 32 GB, or 16 GB plus microSD expansion slot
    Built-in Qi wireless charging

I don't care about processor or RAM because I know WP can run on mostly anything (although I would definitely prefer the Snapdragon 800). I will be picking up a Lumia 925 on T-Mobile, and hopefully in 1-2 years there will be a new flagship WP on T-Mobile that meets or exceeds my wants (probably exceeds because of how fast technology moves).
    10-25-2013 02:52 PM
    I voted "YES" but not because I want to acquire the successor.

I actually want the 920, and when a successor is named, the 920 should nosedive on the unlocked open GSM market.

My 521 is fine, but I really want a flash, Compass - so I can use City Lens, and screen resolution enough to use "Quora" The 521 can't do any of these.

That's all folks. Otherwise, I'm super happy with the 521.
    10-25-2013 05:34 PM
    Voted "No".

While I really like my 920, I have big hands and banana fingers so I need a big screen. Also, my eyes get very tired if I stare at a small screen like the 920 for long. The bigger screen and better resolution should help with that. Besides that, I bought a Surface RT thinking I could use that for work, but it's just too big to be carrying around all the time so I have given it to my wife. The 1520 should fit the bill nicely as it sits right between phone and tablet with the portability of a phone that can fit in my back pocket and the usability of the bigger screen! Remote Desktop for WP can't come soon enough.
    10-25-2013 05:50 PM
    Love the 920, I don't want a bigger form factor though. This is just perfect for me. What I would like is the same size phone (though I can handle a 1020 back bump too), improved camera and video capabilities. Wireless charging is nice, but not a deal breaker. Loving the frequent updates from Nokia. But I would like to see MS really ramp up the missing features. Just dealing with downloads of MP3 podcasts is a real chore, when compared to my HTC Desire. The video files also are a bit choppy when I put them on my PC. Wanna stay Nokia though, love them. Even been getting a fair bit of interest in my phone recently, Nokia and MS are doing something right.
    10-25-2013 06:19 PM
    A5cent)- The 1020 has 2gb RAM to deal with image processing from the massive camera sensor, not a 1080p display.
    Exactly. The thing is, the 1020 can't really be considered to be a 2GB device. Like you said, the second GB is used by the camera, so it is not really visible to the OS. Consequentially, the 1020 behaves no differently from any other 768p/720p device with 1GB of RAM.

The 1520 on the other hand, or any other future 1080p device for that matter, will ship with 2GB of memory, which is visible to the OS, like I said, to deal with the higher memory requirements of the larger video buffers and higher resolution resources.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    10-25-2013 07:47 PM
    I really like my L920, it's a great phone. A successor would only need to be freshened up. Maybe chuck in an amoled screen (I wouldn't want higher res), tweaks and improvements to the camera. Improving battery life should always be a high priority but that never seems to happen.

Frankly, all the work to improve the L920 needs to be done on MS end with WP8. I'm not saying that WP8 is bad, just needs a fair bit more polish. What I think is happening in the industry at the moment is that hardware, to some extent has plateaued. The technologies which were pushing boundaries, 6 years ago, are now more or less good enough, and we're seeing that with lackluster releases across the board in the smartphone world.
    10-25-2013 10:06 PM
    Built in wireless charging is a must and it's been absent in recent Nokia models... No clip on accessory for charging, that's BS. I don't even use a case because I like the looks of my Nokia 920 without one. Would like 1080p, more storage, and the ability to add micro SD card. I like to take my music, pictures, and video with me even where I have no connectivity. A high end camera would be sweet as well.
    Oh, I just saw that but apparently my grandma came to me and told me, "Wake up, you'll be late for work"
    10-25-2013 11:56 PM
    It must be 4.5" inch display { The main reason for buying 920 is the display Perfect size}.
    I wouldn't say it must have the same size display. Rather, the overall dimensions shouldn't be any larger. If they can fit a larger display into a package of the same size or smaller, then all the better.
    10-26-2013 07:45 AM
    I wouldn't say it must have the same size display. Rather, the overall dimensions shouldn't be any larger. If they can fit a larger display into a package of the same size or smaller, then all the better.
    i agree with This.
    NokiaBeast likes this.
    10-26-2013 08:28 AM
    It runs fine as you say, so why spend extra for hardware we really don't need? It just makes the phone more expensive to buy and here we all are with our 920s and tbh we don't really need new phones as it still runs amazingly after a year. I don't play top end games though, maybe a bit more power is required for gamers. Anyway the 1520 has the latest hardware in it, so Nokia have stepped up now in any case.

But I still would like a new toy, for me as a replacement I am fine with the specs of the 1520, but want it in a sub 5" device. I don't really want bigger than the 920's 4.5" screen, but reckon with a thinner device I could go up to 5" wide. So just a best of everything device, 920 built in charging, 1020 camera, 1520 internals and screen res, 625 screen size, 8210 weight (was my first Nokia).
    Yea, I'm a huge phone gamer and play Modern Combat 4 and stuff like that. Having a powerful GPU is important for that kind of stuff, but if it weren't for me being a gamer, I'd have a 520 or something like that. I just want a phone that I can use one-handed without having to stretch my hand too hard or anything, has a screen as nice as the Moto-X or iPhone, and has expandable storage.

On top of that, Nokia has been charging for same price as devices who have the higher-end hardware that I speak, meaning you're paying more for a device (theoretically) has lower replay value; it's like paying more for a car than its worth at the time.
    10-26-2013 11:12 AM
66 123