View Poll Results: Are you waiting on a 920 successor?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

130 82.28%
  • no

28 17.72%
01-25-2014 08:47 AM
66 123
tools
    definitely!
    but I'm not switching to that in the next 2 years, coz I made a promise to myself never switch phone for less than 3 years
    10-26-2013 11:15 AM
    Hmm, maybe the Lumia 929 is a worthy successor to the 920?... Just need to confirm its existence and find out if it has expandable memory.
    10-26-2013 10:33 PM
    Why you wanna one hundred cores in the CPU? That's only marketing, I like the flow of my Lumia and it have only two but uses both.

What I wanna? A decent upgrade of the 925 every thing is OK.

What I really need? Battery life improvements.

Sent from my Lumia using Tapatalk
    10-26-2013 11:43 PM
    I want the following improvements: battery, camera, storage space, & CPU speed... The 929, if real, looks to hit most, maybe all of those marks.

Yes quad core is trivial at this point, but a base speed increase will make the phone snappier... Maybe not on the start screen, but I've noticed my 920 having speed issues right after playing games like Tetris Blitz and Fruit Ninja.
    10-27-2013 12:14 AM
    What are the main drawbacks of Lumia 920? In my opinion SCREEN and CAMERA resolution. I 'd love a new Lumia with the same specs (and the same body and colors!) as 920 but (1) with a 1080p screen resolution (probably at 4.8-5.0'') and (2) an 20 MP camera. Storage @ 32GB, memory @ 1GB and CPU are OK for WP8. Actually I like everything about the new 1520 except the SIZE! Can we have the new 1520 at 4.8-5.0'' ?
    10-31-2013 04:37 AM
    What are the main drawbacks of Lumia 920? In my opinion SCREEN and CAMERA resolution. I 'd love a new Lumia with the same specs (and the same body and colors!) as 920 but (1) with a 1080p screen resolution (probably at 4.8-5.0'') and (2) an 20 MP camera. Storage @ 32GB, memory @ 1GB and CPU are OK for WP8. Actually I like everything about the new 1520 except the SIZE! Can we have the new 1520 at 4.8-5.0'' ?
    Looks like you've fallen prey to the blogosphere hype machine.

Unless you're planning to use your smartphone snapshots as a source for poster sized prints (where a real camera is recommended anyway), then there is no benefit to having a higher resolution camera. We've long past the point where increasing resolution makes sense, except for selling to people that don't know better, which unfortunately is the majority. An 8MP camera, as used by the L920, already delivers much higher resolution pictures than most computer monitors can display. Even if you have such a high end monitor, better colour reproduction would make a far more noticeable difference than higher resolution, which is usually sacrificed in order to print a larger number behind the resolution label on the spec sheet.

The exception to all the above are cameras that employ a form of oversampling, like the L1020, where a single pixel is not always treated as a single pixel.

The situation with display resolution is similar. Below 5", 1080p makes absolutely no sense. All it achieves it to bog down rendering performance for no discernable visual improvement.

In other words, neither screen or camera resolution are drawbacks.

These are the L920's real drawbacks:
    • the GPU, which was underpowered from day one
    • soft/fuzzy daylight shots, which is corrected using a sharpening filter that doesn't yield results that look as good as they should (compared to the iPhone 5)
    • thickness and weight (I couldn't care less, but it's important for sales)
    • imperfect contrast (although good for an LCD display)
    • battery life, including irregular battery drain and occasional overheating
    • underfeatured OS (hopefully corrected with WP8.1)

Slim it down, replace the current SoC with the Snapdragon 800 (primarily for the GPU), add the best possible OLED display (its thinner, has better contrast, but is not suitable for 1080p), fix the battery and camera issues, fit a higher capacity battery, and most importantly, give us a good WP8.1 update.
    10-31-2013 10:39 AM
    Looks like you've fallen prey to the blogosphere hype machine.

Unless you're planning to use your smartphone snapshots as a source for poster sized prints (where a real camera is recommended anyway), then there is no benefit to having a higher resolution camera. We've long past the point where increasing resolution makes sense, except for selling to people that don't know better, which unfortunately is the majority. An 8MP camera, as used by the L920, already delivers much higher resolution pictures than most computer monitors can display. Even if you have such a high end monitor, better colour reproduction would make a far more noticeable difference than higher resolution, which is usually sacrificed in order to print a larger number behind the resolution label on the spec sheet.

The exception to all the above are cameras that employ a form of oversampling, like the L1020, where a single pixel is not always treated as a single pixel.

The situation with display resolution is similar. Below 5", 1080p makes absolutely no sense. All it achieves it to bog down rendering performance for no discernable visual improvement.

In other words, neither screen or camera resolution are drawbacks.

These are the L920's real drawbacks:
    • the GPU, which was underpowered from day one
    • soft/fuzzy daylight shots, which is corrected using a sharpening filter that doesn't yield results that look as good as they should (compared to the iPhone 5)
    • thickness and weight (I couldn't care less, but it's important for sales)
    • imperfect contrast (although good for an LCD display)
    • battery life, including irregular battery drain and occasional overheating
    • underfeatured OS (hopefully corrected with WP8.1)

Slim it down, replace the current SoC with the Snapdragon 800 (primarily for the GPU), add the best possible OLED display (its thinner, has better contrast, but is not suitable for 1080p), fix the battery and camera issues, fit a higher capacity battery, and most importantly, give us a good WP8.1 update.
    EDIT: to make is short and sweet.

I want any camera with sensor size 1/1.8 or better and at least 12MP. That's the biggest thing. I like the 20-41 because zoom is pretty legit. But to be honest the 20mp in the 1520 looks lackluster compared to the Xperia Z1 spec-wise. Smaller sensor, smaller aperture. Hope the picture quality is better.
    Last edited by ejb222; 11-01-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    11-01-2013 11:57 AM
    Would love to have a 4-5 inch phone with specifications like that of the 2520.
    11-01-2013 12:07 PM
    Since you agree with the display resolution and I agree with all that you noted, the CAMERA issue still remains: The camera resolution is important (along with the software that processes the captured images). I agree that in a full HD monitor or TV 8MP (even 5MPs from my L620) is fine. But what if in a landscape picture of a city you want to zoom in into buildings details AFTER capturing the picture? Digital noise with fuzzy details. But L1020 camera and software work wonders. That's why I asked for an 20MP camera (although 41 MPs would be better!). And, wishing for a better OVERALL camera experience from a mobile phone is not to fall "prey to the blogosphere hype machine"...
    11-01-2013 07:37 PM
    the CAMERA issue still remains: The camera resolution is important (along with the software that processes the captured images).<snipped> But what if in a landscape picture of a city you want to zoom in into buildings details AFTER capturing the picture?
    That's the biggest thing. I like the 20-41 because zoom is pretty legit.
    I think both of you are saying the same thing. I'm not saying you're wrong to like those camera resolutions, at least not then when they actually contribute to worthwhile features like they do on the L1020, and if we were talking about the successor to the L1020, then I would completely agree with you. However, we're talking about a successor to the L920.

If you are going to offer the zoom of the L1020, then you need to do it right, meaning a large sensor with the highest possible resolution. IMHO, trying to do the same with a 20MP sensor, or even a 12MP sensor, is a complete waste of time. It then becomes a sales gimmick rather than something truly useful. So we would need at least an equivalent sensor for those features to make sense, but that would mean a similarly sized camera bulge. That's not what the L920 was about.

If we are talking about a L920 successor, then 8MP is fine. It will probably be 12MP for marketing reasons, but that will make the actual results worse than if they stick with an 8MP sensor with the same surface area (particularly light sensitivity and noise). That is how tech works. Developing the best selling device is far more important than developing the best device.

Increasing camera resolution, after a certain point, offers diminishing returns. At least for now, we are past the point where further increasing camera resolution is important (again, for devices that don't intend to offer the L1020 huge sensor and zoom capabilities).

Of course, this applies only to camera smartphones. DSLR's are a different story.
    11-01-2013 10:40 PM
    Its not that I am in need of a successor or something as I prefer usability over specs and for me the specs are well an truly good. Yeah it has its cons and I guess it is an OS issue. yes you guys guessed it right the heating issue and also sometimes something runs in the background and if you do not notice it then you are out of battery. MS needs to fix this really. I really do not want a large screen as I prefer one hand use and I am comfortable with 4.5". My final verdict will be no not right now.
    11-02-2013 06:28 AM
    If they make a 920 successor with HD screen, the camera out of the 1020, a faster processor, 2Gb RAM with wireless charging built-in and the lovely polycarbonate unibody of the 920, I'm in.

I don't like the look of the 925 or the 1020. The sticky-out lens on the 1020 irks me in particular. It would easily fit in the 920 form factor without the ridiculous sticky-outy bit.
    11-02-2013 03:30 PM
    the bar, my friend, is VERY high. No other hardware have I loved as much.

I wouldn't mind a lack of design overhaul. i love this design. Don't want it to change. Minor changes work fine enough, thank you.

Frankly,
    that 16MP cam. 1080p.
    4.7-5" screen.
    Next gen Qualcomm. not the 800 coz we'll feel underpowered again when the s5 comes out.(you know it)
    thinner/lighter seems a must now.
    SMALLER BEZEL please!!!
    Im really hoping they bring some innovation in ffc. (Selfie WAS the word of the year :P)
    Expandable Storage

Also, LYTRO!!! :D

#InnovationReinvented
    Last edited by Ayush_WP; 11-29-2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
    11-29-2013 05:47 AM
    Screen and camera are what sold this phone. It was the best at launch. Need more processing power definitely. WP8.1 is gonna hog more resources. Guarantee it.
    11-29-2013 05:56 AM
    definitely!
    but I'm not switching to that in the next 2 years, coz I made a promise to myself never switch phone for less than 3 years
    hah! Good luck with that! not trying to be a jerk, but u will want to when MS drops support for WP8 gen phones in a year and something from now.
    11-29-2013 05:59 AM
    I completely agree with fdalbor.

I have the Lumia 820. Whilst I would like it to have the 920 camera and gorilla glass (and an HDMI out would have been great, so I could watch videos on hotel TVs), I needed the memory card capacity and the wireless-charging back (NOT a cover), so the 820 was the better choice for me, personally (more so because of the removable battery). However, if my 820 is lost or destroyed (and I ask this of 920 owners, too...who are happy enough with the 32GB capacity), with what would you replace it? It seems to me that Nokia has offered no reasonable or acceptable alternatives to either. Of course, we can all think of 'upgrades' we would add to our 820 or 920; but, failing that, I would at least like to get something 'as good'.

The 925, with 16GB and no SD card or wireless charging, without an ugly cover added? The 1020, with a lump on the back and no wireless charging without an even more cumbersome cover (and still not enough memory for me)? As for the 1520, wonderful spec, but its far too large...yet is probably the only Lumia I could even consider, since my minimum requirements are Here Drive+ (preferably free) and 64GB of storage (I assume this has wireless charging due to the accessories available, but can't see reference to it in the Nokia website spec?).

It seems to me that Nokia (and WP8 in general) needs to get a bigger share of the market so that the apps everyone wants are forthcoming more quickly. If not for that point, I think WP8 phones are wonderful and superior, in many respects (for my needs, at least). However, surely the best way to accomplish that will be to retain existing users and add more. Simply alienating the existing converts and trying to start again, every time you add a new phone, seems a flawed strategy, to me.

Bring out a 920s, with an SD card slot (and, ideally, a removeable battery, but not as essential for me), and I think you retain most of your existing 820 and 920 users for some time to come. For all those that require the other models, great; they will add to your client list. As it stands, I really dread the demise of my 820 and, worse still for Nokia (I would have thought), will retain it for as long as technologically possible, unless a true and appealing alternative is provided.

I appreciate this is a personal view, based on my own needs, but I'm afraid those are the ones I tend to spend most time considering. That said, those here who are perfectly happy with their 820 or 920 will, I suspect, tend to agree with this view.
    01-25-2014 08:47 AM
66 123