Anyone waiting on a true 920 successor?

he_shark

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
THIS!!!! I'm so tired of getting recycled hardware. Yes, Windows Phone runs FINE on even low-end hardware (evidenced by the 520), but they need to make something that is AHEAD of the curve that will last for a while. The iPhone 4s GPU can still outpace the Lumia 920 GPU in games and stuff, and that's sad that the phone is 2 years old now. I think the problem is Nokia can't afford to go that hard right now, so hopefully this is where Microsoft can kick in and provide some financial backing to get this type of hardware built.

It runs fine as you say, so why spend extra for hardware we really don't need? It just makes the phone more expensive to buy and here we all are with our 920s and tbh we don't really need new phones as it still runs amazingly after a year. I don't play top end games though, maybe a bit more power is required for gamers. Anyway the 1520 has the latest hardware in it, so Nokia have stepped up now in any case.

But I still would like a new toy, for me as a replacement I am fine with the specs of the 1520, but want it in a sub 5" device. I don't really want bigger than the 920's 4.5" screen, but reckon with a thinner device I could go up to 5" wide. So just a best of everything device, 920 built in charging, 1020 camera, 1520 internals and screen res, 625 screen size, 8210 weight (was my first Nokia).

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Agree with most people here. I'm gonna wait this one out too. Very tempted to get the 1020, but hoping for a re-design and complete upgrade in specs. PLEASE SUPPORT EXTERNAL STORAGE! I mean c'mon!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

blacksea00

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
first time it was so hard for me to go on such large screen... the problem now i can't even touch a smaller screen, half of my work from PC its now on L920.
To be fair i don't need something else... but also there is a problem... i don't like if a phone its better than mine !

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If we could get the 1020 camera on a 920, we'd have. . .a 1020. I'm totally comfortable with Nokia releasing a mainstream phone with a great camera that's not 41 MP/the whole focus of the phone. I'll get the 9xx, and then they can release the 10xx and have a whole new demographic.

4.8" in the same size as my current 4.5"
Snapdragon 800
Normally-sized (slimline) Purview camera
New outdoor display tech from 1520
1080P
Improved battery life
Thinner/lighter than 920
Included wireless charging

A boy can dream, right?

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't it be said that the L920 is subliminally and too well designed for it's own good? I mean, if we take away all the wish lists for a successor and minor problems here and there, the L920 is a very well designed phone which has the potential to outlive it's sell by date?

Not that this is a bad thing, but it just means that the bar for it's successor has been set very high.

Last edited:

Nemanja Pavlovic

May 28, 2013
Visit site
A true successor? For me that would be the 1520 specs in a 925 body. Perhaps a slightly larger screen, cut the bezel and rock a 4.7" with the same device size. I mean the S4 is just slightly bigger than the 920 and it has a 5".

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually while the 920 is nice I think the 925 could be the phone I would like to get. Execpt that it needs a SD card slot, choice of 16, 32, or 64GB memory, a removable battery and a 4.7 screen, and a quad core processor while we're at it. The new phones Nokia just came out with are (at least I think so) not what MOST people want. Whats the best selling Lumia phone, 520/521. Small; but it works and its cheap. It does what most people want a smart phone to do and remain affordable. Maybe these big phones may sell; but they are not the phones that are going to get the market share that WP8 needs. I got the 820 in the first place because it was smaller than the 920, had a nice size screen and all the things I list above but the internal memory, same guts as the 920. I would like to upgrade one day; but the way things are going my 820 looks like it will have to do until Nokia (or Microsoft) make a phone I want to replace it with. Not hollding my breath.

jvpalazzo

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I would like to have some spec bumps, like 1080p screen, larger battery, and the most important: increase memory size! live tiles/background agents and multitasking really depends on this, and those are the soul of wp8,

overview_hero.jpg

Would like to see a design evolution, introducing aluminium unibody, weight reduction, bezel reduction and make the screen closer to the glass.

I really love my 920, and with these improvments, it could become more than a masterpiece, which it is already.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
well after much contemplating I decided not to get the 1020 after all, the 1520 at 6inch is way to big for me. The L920 is perfect in size as I can use it one handed, personally I don't mind if they keep the curved back as long they include a bigger battery, like most would like a snap dragon 800 quad core clocked at 2.2ish ghz. 32gb / 64gb + mSD support upto 64gb, 1080p screen (non pentile)

The heft is not issue for me, I find the L920 light as a feather. The iphone feels like a fragile kids toy in comparison, I dared my brother in law to do a drop test.. as he kept saying how durable his Iphone 5 is. So I deliberately I dropped my L920 from dining table high onto kitchen floor (that is how his screen broke even with a silicone case) as we were talking and went oops, He was laughing his *** off saying "see not so tough now!", his glee disappeared as soon as i picked up, wiped the screen off my jeans, put it on the table with glance running and went soo how long did you wait in line to get your 9th replacement? lol.

Right now his on his 12th, 10th broke just as he was coming out of a cab and it hit the pavement - the back got slippery in the rain, 11 fell out when he was cycling and the screen cracked lol, I guess you could say his making the most out of his apple care plan lol. But yeah the iphone 5 is really durable isn't it? /s.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't upgrade until November of 2014, so I'm obviously not concerned with it. However, there does NEED to be a successor to the 920 for the general masses. They aren't going to skip over an iPhone 5S or a Galaxy S4, or even a Moto X, if the Windows Phone alternative is a device whose SoC is 18 months old already. Signing up for 2 years of that is just silly, if you're considering the high-end devices from the competition. They don't even need to put the Snapdragon 800 in a successor, the 600 would be fine. 1080p isn't a big deal either. 4.5-5.0" with a Snapdragon 600, 1280x768 resolution, 2 GB of RAM, 32 GB of storage, and wireless charging is really a passable line of specs for a successor. Just up the SoC and RAM, and make the thing cooler and maybe lighter/thinner.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
... what no gold casing??? LOL

Seriously though, on the hardware size the successor to my 920 should be :-
  • same size (or slightly bigger) with the 3rd column on the start screen.
  • 2GB RAM
  • 20mp camera fast between shots
  • 64GB memory
  • USB OTG
  • FM transmitter (I really missed this feature I had on my C7-00)
  • Battery usage has to be twice as long

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
4.8" screen
Thinner bezel
CPU can be the same.. It's already fast enough in my opinion
2GB RAM
32GB + MicroSD
41MP Pureview in a body with either no bump or one like the 925 has
Xenon flash
As light as the 1020
Wireless charging

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
There really isn't too much of a difference between a 4.6" and a 5" phone. I'd be happy with a 5" phone with 1520 specs, a'la rumored 929. Let's just hope it gets announced soon.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to guess that a 5" flagship is going to be the launch phone for WP 8.1 early 2014. In which case it would be in direct competition with the Galaxy S5 since that will also be announced around the same time.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
They don't even need to put the Snapdragon 800 in a successor, the 600 would be fine. 1080p isn't a big deal either. 4.5-5.0" with a Snapdragon 600, 1280x768 resolution, 2 GB of RAM.

A few corrections:
According to Nokia, the 800 is actually more power efficient than the 600. The price difference is small, and I have yet to hear that the 600 is even certified for use with WP. For all these reasons, and because it is (and always has been) MS' goal to strictly limit hardware fragmentation, it seems unlikely that we will ever see the 600 SoC in a WP device. Let's hope we never do, as that additional fragmentation isn't worth what we get in return (basically nothing but an extra SoC to support).

Also, the 2GB models have that extra 1GB of RAM to use as graphics memory. Therefore, devices with display resolutions below 1080p will continue to ship with 1GB of RAM. This sacrifices absolutely nothing, because putting 2GB of RAM in a 768p device would basically mean the device is powering RAM that is never used... as no app on such a device would ever load their large 1080p resources. In a nutshell, 768p with 2GB RAM makes zero sense.

What I think is missing from Nokia's portfolio is a device in the size range you mentioned, with a 720p display, 1GB RAM, but with the 800 SoC. That would truly fly, as you'd have the same powerful GPU pushing half the pixels of its slouchy 1080 brethren (in comparison). Pair that with WP8.1 and I'd be willing, for the first time, to buy another WP device since WP7.0.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa