I don't like the 1020 video recording!

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from a 920 to a 1020. The phone feels amazing, the lighter weight is nice, the phone does feel faster. The still pics are amazing.

The screen is not as great as the 920 and it does take a little wind out of the sails for me.

But the video camera is my main gripe. Yes it's sharper and better in many other ways...but the mechanical OIS is not as good as the spring mounted OIS system of the 920 in my opinion!

When you move around and stop, the camera lens plays catch up. It just looks weird and jarring.

I made a music video using my 920 ( S. Creed Aka The Brooklyn Scotsman - Emulate Feat. Immy Perez (Official Music Video) - YouTube ) and was really hoping that the 1020 would help me make an even better video.

I'm not as confident now tbh. Now I have go back to the drawing board. I know I shouldn't expect so much from a phone...but when I upgrade within the same product range I expect similar or better performance.

The 920 was better with videos imo...I guess it's a trade off I'll have to live with.

Does anyone know what kind of OIS system the 1520 uses? Maybe it's just time to get a dslr. *sigh*

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
In settings does the 1020 have the "continuous focus" ON (default) or OFF option ?

If you have manual focus in Pro Cam Video ( in the GDR3 it's now Nokia Camera/ Video) depending on how close to the subject you are
you could set to manual focus to and from about ( you'll have to test what the
depth of field is) 6ft - infinity it would be in focus and focus will stop "searching" & not play catch up as you say.

Last edited:

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
In settings does the 1020 have the "continuous focus" ON (default) or OFF option ?

If you have manual focus in Pro Cam Video ( in the GDR3 it's now Nokia Camera/ Video) depending on how close to the subject you are
you could set to manual focus to and from about ( you'll have to test what the
depth of field is) 6ft - infinity it would be in focus and focus will stop "searching" & not play catch up as you say.

I have tried all the above. I assume you have the 1020? If so, take a video and move left to right...about 90 degrees should do it.

Now watch for that moment after you stop moving and watch as the camera moves into position.

Do you see what I mean?

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I own both the 920 and the 1020 and have to say the OIS on my 1020 is much better.

While I don't entirely disagree as the overall stabilization is solid...that last judder at the end is a killer for me!

I'm going to make a video later and post it to show what I mean. I've been dying to use the Nokia video upload app anyway, lol.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean, I noticed the same already... But as I don't record videos very often, I don't mind about how the OIS on the 1020 works here (but maybe they can adjust the motor control of the OIS in Lumia Black). But I can see how for your use-case this is pretty bad :-(

dgprakash

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I thought I was the only one with this problem. yes I have this playing catch up thing happening on my 1020 during video recording too.

So upsetting, but doesn't happen sometimes. Will try to upload a video when I have time.

boodi

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I have both 920 and 1020 , do some video shots here and there , and for video capture overall quality on the go ( ois ) the 920 is the better choice of the two
actually i think still the 920 is the thing to beat for superior video recording quality in the smartphone area . the well designed ois makes more then 50% of it .

as for today the 920 is the only smartphone who offers affordable semi-professional recording
the htc one is second . but not as good .

925 falls lil behind both .

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I thought I was the only one with this problem. yes I have this playing catch up thing happening on my 1020 during video recording too.

So upsetting, but doesn't happen sometimes. Will try to upload a video when I have time.

For a moment I thought it was just me, lol!

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I have both 920 and 1020 , do some video shots here and there , and for video capture overall quality on the go ( ois ) the 920 is the better choice of the two
actually i think still the 920 is the thing to beat for superior video recording quality in the smartphone area . the well designed ois makes more then 50% of it .

as for today the 920 is the only smartphone who offers affordable semi-professional recording
the htc one is second . but not as good .

925 falls lil behind both .

Luckily my bro still has a 920 that I can use. It is tragic though...their shouldn't be a trade off but instead a trade up!

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Nice music video! Do you have one taken with the 1020?

Thanks. No...and now I doubt if I'll even bother! I have my brother's 920 I can use. Although I may try and figure out where I could use it. Maybe some manual focus shots, some still shots and some zoomed in shots.

I think the 920 will be my movement shot camera. Quite annoyed about it all tbh, lol!

Maybe it's time to step into the realm of enthusiast instead of amateur and bite the bullet and get myself a DSLR! Now with Microsoft having bought Nokia...I don't know how I feel, lol.

It's bad enough that Nokia touted yellow as their main colour and having owned a yellow 920, then purchasing the yellow purity pros to go with it, and then upgrading to a yellow 1020 only to find out a yellow tablet cannot join my colour coordinated collection!!!

Gutted!

But who knows...maybe the warp stabilizer in Adobe Premiere Pro could help sort the 1020 'judder'!

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

I'll keep experimenting...if Nokia never nailed the video recording so well with the 920 I would never have attempted making a video as it gave me confidence to try it out. But in the same breath, if Nokia never did so well with the 920, I wouldn't have noticed it so easily in the 1020!

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean, I noticed the same already... But as I don't record videos very often, I don't mind about how the OIS on the 1020 works here (but maybe they can adjust the motor control of the OIS in Lumia Black). But I can see how for your use-case this is pretty bad :-(

I guess we can only hope mate.

boodi

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Luckily my bro still has a 920 that I can use. It is tragic though...their shouldn't be a trade off but instead a trade up!
they focused on launching the 41mp format ( 808 ..) on wp , nothing more . videoshootin and ois was not the game changer . for 920 , a flagship new multimedia wp8 phone was all a game changer , so it has a well thought ois too . mind the extra thickness (920 only..)

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe I didn't know about the infinity focus setting, I filmed an entire car montage and my friend had a tough time focusing the car at night and driving.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have tried all the above. I assume you have the 1020? If so, take a video and move left to right...about 90 degrees should do it.

Now watch for that moment after you stop moving and watch as the camera moves into position.

Do you see what I mean?

If I set it to manual focus and it's doesn't search because the autofocus is turned OFF and no
I don't have a 1020 but I do have Nokia Camera/Video and once I set it to manual and the focus is set.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok...I've played around with it further and here's what I've found:

If you do slow shots and avoid sudden movements, the OIS works pretty well and if used correctly, it could produce some stunning shots.

I'll be shooting a new video in the near future...I think I can make something good with it.

Still have my bros 920 for the faster shots, so I'll live, lol. Here's to hoping. 😁

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720