Is the ativ s still worth it?

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
yes, i had this doubt too! i can get the ativ s here in Brazil for an amazing price! same specs as 920 (perhaps even a lil better) and cheaper! my only doubt was samsung support and you guys think this device can last for at least 1 year? otherwise, i'll go with Moto X (good price here) but i rly didnt want to go back to android ><
and the new lumias will only arrive next year and they're too big for my small hands! 4.7-4.8" is my limit!

so is it worth switching my 620 for an ativ s? XD

dw852

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I would go for Nokia handsets. AtivS is not bad, but Samsung is not doing what they should be doing. I really doubt that we would get the WP8.1 update.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I would go for Nokia handsets. AtivS is not bad, but Samsung is not doing what they should be doing. I really doubt that we would get the WP8.1 update.

Really, that's a typical Lumia hipster comment "Samsung don't support their Windows Phones". They were the first to roll out GDR2 and remind me when is GDR3 and the Lumia Black update due, that's right, 2014.

While support from Samsung isn't great it's better than HTC have been doing, Samsung have been releasing frequent updates to their apps and we've heard nothing about whether they will or will not release the GDR3 update and WP8.1 so instead of speculating lets wait and see.

Shayx

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
dude, just go with the ativ s. it's really a bargain.
better and bigger screen, better camera.
i bought it for 230 euros approx and since then the price went up to 250 euro because of the high demand.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I'd say it depends on what your needs are, but the ATIV S has stronger hardware than the 8X. For the extra 23 euros in savings, I'd say it's a huge bargain.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
If you want top of the line Hardware, Go for the Ativ S.
Has a great Camera (better than the S3 in low light),
a Wolfson Audio chip and DAC (sounds as good or better than beats with a good set of phones)
Has MicroSD upto 64GB
The AMOLED Pentile display suites WP8 tiles and apps great.
Ive read Nokia Music is still bugged
Removable battery
Say bye bye to buggy android.
Contrary to Rubbish printed online, Samsung Still support the Ativ S
We are due GDR3 any day now.

Get it and enjoy

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
If you want top of the line Hardware, Go for the Ativ S.
Has a great Camera (better than the S3 in low light),
a Wolfson Audio chip and DAC (sounds as good or better than beats with a good set of phones)
Has MicroSD upto 64GB
The AMOLED Pentile display suites WP8 tiles and apps great.
Ive read Nokia Music is still bugged
Removable battery
Say bye bye to buggy android.
Contrary to Rubbish printed online, Samsung Still support the Ativ S
We are due GDR3 any day now.

Get it and enjoy

It's not a rumor, in Malaysia, no GDR2 updates and I don't think they care.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
One minor point to add. I tried both the Lumia 520 and ATIV S. Lumia's ability to lock onto satellite without the aids of any AGPS etc is a significantly better than ATIV S's.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Speaking as an ATIV S owner, I love this device. It's quick and speedy and has great battery life.

I'd go with Nokia.

More support. I don't think Samsung has any more devices in the pipeline, however Nokia is coming out with a beast every 3 months or so.

However, this is a wonderful phone, it's not like you'd be disappointed you got it.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Should I or should I go for the 920? I don't care about the nokia exclusives or the low light camera.. I just wanna try Windows Phone and two of the most important things in the world for me is battery life and of course music. I think the ATIV S suits me better than a 920.. I'm still on contract for another year with my iPhone and I'm selling this to at least experience WP for a year and decide what to get next upgrade. But I think I'm getting a Nokia the next time.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
The ATIV S has a 2300 mAh removable battery, where the Lumia 920 has 2000. In moderate use, I can usually get two days out of my phone on a single charge.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
and Ativ S has 16Gb of internal storage PLUS microSD card support!

if i decide to stick with WP (gonna give myself a new smart as xmas gift :3) i'm going for the Ativ S! here in Brazil, there's a store selling it WAAAY cheaper than the 920! it's a great deal XD

btw i also don't care about nokia exclusives (barely use them) or low light performance...and for the common user i am (FB, whatsapp, skype, email...social stuff in general lol) i dont want to spend a lot of money for this kind if light usage!

Phillip Tshabalala1

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Official GDR3 is now available in South Africa, sim free Ativ S, just checked yesterday. Will post screenshots when I manage to download as my data is limited. Samsung support is awesome. I also use Samsung apps and get regular updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb