Is the ativ s still worth it?

Phillip Tshabalala1

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I lock onto satellites without any aids in less then 15sec when 100km from last destination on my Ativ S. When in same town as last destination its less then 5sec. I play golf and use GPS rangefinder regularly.

ruddevil

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Official GDR3 is now available in South Africa, sim free Ativ S, just checked yesterday. Will post screenshots when I manage to download as my data is limited. Samsung support is awesome. I also use Samsung apps and get regular updates.

Congratulations. We just got GDR2 last week in Indonesia. I will never buy a Samsung phone ever again, no matter how bargain the price is.

Anyway, Ativ S for 150 quid is one sweet deal. I'm sure you would get the updates quicker in certain parts of the world, but definitely not in Asia.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations. We just got GDR2 last week in Indonesia. I will never buy a Samsung phone ever again, no matter how bargain the price is.

Anyway, Ativ S for 150 quid is one sweet deal. I'm sure you would get the updates quicker in certain parts of the world, but definitely not in Asia.

Is your ATIV S carrier locked and branded?

If so then the delay is due to carrier testing not Samsung ;)

ruddevil

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Is your ATIV S carrier locked and branded?

If so then the delay is due to carrier testing not Samsung ;)

No, most phones sold here are not locked nor branded. Even HTC 8X got it earlier. My wife's 920 got Amber almost 2 months ago.

So yes, it's definitely Samsucks fault.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Updates are rolled out based on IMEI number so if you are last on the list then there's nothing you can do!!

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
true dat...i remember when i had my Xperia Mini, my IMEI would take a long time to receive updates lol

btw i'm on an unlocked, unbranded 620 (i'm from Brazil btw) and still no GDR3 for me...so yeah, we can only wait ):

ylap

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, I am happy with my decision to buy ATIV S two weeks ago. Yet, it has GDR2 update, but I can wait until GDR3 roll out in my region. It is a good WP device with good spec, and it is rare where I live. Already received some questions "Wow, I never saw this model? Is it just released?" :amaze:

p111

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
No, most phones sold here are not locked nor branded. Even HTC 8X got it earlier. My wife's 920 got Amber almost 2 months ago.

So yes, it's definitely Samsucks fault.

ok, I really do not understand what the deal with updates is all the time. As long as your phone works well, so what? I personally prefer getting an update later but being sure that it works correct (see for that for example the early faulty update to gdr2 for the 8x).

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
For those who buy branded goods and latest fashion, then ATIV S is not worth it.

For those who need a high spec phone at a mid spec price and don't care much about what the neighbor think, then ATIV S is worth it. Throw in light weight, removable battery, memory slot, it becomes a steal.

PNX81

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, I am happy with my decision to buy ATIV S two weeks ago. Yet, it has GDR2 update, but I can wait until GDR3 roll out in my region. It is a good WP device with good spec, and it is rare where I live. Already received some questions "Wow, I never saw this model? Is it just released?" :amaze:
oh yes, it feels like being very special. Especially thethird tile row results in kind of questions what extra ordinary phone this might be

antoniop

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Ativ S for a week and I must say I'm most satisfied. I bought it in Portugal for roughly 200 euros. The Nokia Lumia 920 was about 80 euros more expensive. Spec-wise they are mosty identical other than the removable battery and SD slot.
When you hold them in your hand you may notice the Lumia is more poshed and has that soft "expensive" feel. However there's no denying the noticeable extra weight, which may be a deal breaker. Being a short fellow, the Ativ S slides and fits nicely in my trousers' pocket.
All things considered (especially the price) I find it a great deal. Screen is amazing, very quick and smooth and the battery usually lasts for a whole 2 days, unless I don't leave it still for a minute, which happened in the first 2 days.
If you want to try WP, go for it.

Regards,

Ant?nio

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The Ativ S is an excellent phone, and now with the massive price drop, it is in serious running for best bang for the buck. I had one for a while and if it wasn't for it being stolen *shakes fist in the air* I'd probably still have it. But aside from the cool metallic look, I hated the shape of it - rounded corners make me want to punch babies.

SirNic

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung ATIV is an excellent phone.
Had a go with an Android a few days ago and it was awful compared with the ATIV.
The OLED picture quality is very good and with the right Apps installed I couldn't live without it. :smile:

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought an Ativ for my gf, and it's an amazing phone. She really likes it, and before she had iPhones and a crappy Htc wildfire . It costs 200 euros in Germany unlocked, and it's a great deal. It's fast, has a nice screen, expandable memory, replaceable battery. Only con is that lumias have a couple of good exclusive apps (here transit, here lens).

It made me hesitate about keeping my 620, but I really like that I can put in my pocket and barely feel it. My next phone will probably be a 1020 or its successor, when I can afford it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought an Ativ for my gf, and it's an amazing phone. She really likes it, and before she had iPhones and a crappy Htc wildfire . It costs 200 euros in Germany unlocked, and it's a great deal. It's fast, has a nice screen, expandable memory, replaceable battery. Only con is that lumias have a couple of good exclusive apps (here transit, here lens).

It made me hesitate about keeping my 620, but I really like that I can put in my pocket and barely feel it. My next phone will probably be a 1020 or its successor, when I can afford it.

The HERE Suite is available on all Windows Phones, you might want to have a look on the store. AFAIK HERE Lens was integrated with HERE Maps as City Lens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss