How to scan barcodes with Lumia 925

deepsp

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Lumia 925. I tried my best to scan bar codes with my phone and I failed. Could experts here help me and show how to scan bar codes? I went to bing search and selected the eye like button, it only shows scan text. Thanking you all in advance for your time and replies.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hit the search button on the bottom of the phone and then hit the vision button on the search screen (the eye button) and point your camera to the barcode. It will automatically scan and bring up a link for you to select. I just did it with a shampoo bottle and worked fine on my 1020 except for a few seconds of trying to get it to focus correctly

Robert Crist

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Paul. Thank you so much.

Don't forget what else you can do. Point it to some text to translate it. From the Search button you can 'Shazam' music as well. And then there's always straight up searching or using finding local venues. Very powerful hub that Search button is.

deepsp

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Robert and Paul for answering my query. I am concerned about the battery. I think yesterday I charged the phone to 100% in the morning and after that tried to take some shots using Nokia Camera. Within just 5 minutes of using the camera, the battery % went down to something like 75. Is it normal?

Robert Crist

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Robert and Paul for answering my query. I am concerned about the battery. I think yesterday I charged the phone to 100% in the morning and after that tried to take some shots using Nokia Camera. Within just 5 minutes of using the camera, the battery % went down to something like 75. Is it normal?

If it was your first charge, I experienced that with both my 920 and my 925. The first few charges died quickly but subsequent charges lasted all day long with moderate to high use. Something to look for is if you have any hidden wireless networks in your WiFi list. Having them there soaks up battery as it constantly scans to see if that network is in range. I've heard doing a soft reset helps battery but I've never had to. I'm also religious about making sure nothing is running in the background, though the impact seems less severe in WP than it does on my Android handsets.

deepsp

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
If it was your first charge, I experienced that with both my 920 and my 925. The first few charges died quickly but subsequent charges lasted all day long with moderate to high use. Something to look for is if you have any hidden wireless networks in your WiFi list. Having them there soaks up battery as it constantly scans to see if that network is in range. I've heard doing a soft reset helps battery but I've never had to. I'm also religious about making sure nothing is running in the background, though the impact seems less severe in WP than it does on my Android handsets.

Hi Robert,
This is not my first charge. As for the wifi, I keep it off all the time. I only enable it whenever I need it. I also try to switch off all the unwanted applications. How to switch off the other applications running in the background? Thanking you in advance for your time and replies.

Robert Crist

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi Robert,
This is not my first charge. As for the wifi, I keep it off all the time. I only enable it whenever I need it. I also try to switch off all the unwanted applications. How to switch off the other applications running in the background? Thanking you in advance for your time and replies.

My method involves holding the back key until the task switcher comes up. With the latest update you can hit the X in the top right corner to close background applications.

deepsp

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
My method involves holding the back key until the task switcher comes up. With the latest update you can hit the X in the top right corner to close background applications.

I live in Finland, Robert. I dont have the latest update. I have the lumia amber with GDR2 update.

Last edited:

B Oberoi

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
My apologies for jumping in ....

While getting familiar with my Lumia 925 I did a scan of number of bar codes and QR codes ... but now I don't seem to bale to find a way of deleting any of these.
Would VERY much appreciate any tips that will address this issue.

TIA,
Bal

wpwolf

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
My apologies for jumping in ....

While getting familiar with my Lumia 925 I did a scan of number of bar codes and QR codes ... but now I don't seem to bale to find a way of deleting any of these.
Would VERY much appreciate any tips that will address this issue.

TIA,
Bal

Go to Bing search, tap the three dots, tap settings, scroll down and tap delete history. The scan history is part of Bing search history, so you need to delete the Bing search history.

wpwolf

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

Tapping the X in task switcher is only available with GDR3, which has not been officially released, and this does not close applications running in the background. To do this, go to settings, swipe left to the applications screen, and then tap background tasks. All of the listed applications with "allowed" in green are running in the background. Tap each application you want to stop running.

Last edited:

B Oberoi

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
>> Point it to some text to translate it

If you're pointing the phone, say, to the title of a French language book, doesn't the phone first needs to have support for French installed in it??
Where and how does one get that??

TIA,
Bal

deepsp

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
>> Point it to some text to translate it

If you're pointing the phone, say, to the title of a French language book, doesn't the phone first needs to have support for French installed in it??
Where and how does one get that??

TIA,
Bal

I don't think you need to download a separate language pack in order to translate via camera. The camera translation doesn't work offline as if now. So in any case you have to be online (Wifi, Data plan). I tried it offline , didn't work. If you are online then you don't need to install any language pack, point the camera, it will scan the text and then translate it. This is how I did while translating from Finnish language. Hope this helps.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Is this some kind of GDR3 thing? When I hit the vision button in Bing search and aim it to the barcode it does nothing except after a few seconds of focusing if I the thing I wanted to scan wasn't found.

leonalewis

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Lumia 925. I tried my best to scan bar codes with my phone and I failed. Could experts here help me and show how to scan bar codes? I went to bing search and selected the eye like button, it only shows scan text. Thanking you all in advance for your time and replies.

is it sth. about the camera can not focus on the barcode or some others ?here you can check this thread to find a clue
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/7843725a7f

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720