Disappearing photos post Nokia Camera update

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the issue on my Lumia 1020. I can see photos on phone, just not on file explorer on my PC. First transfer froze so that's the culprit, but how can I fix? SkyDrive upload doesn't work either.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I try to use ProShot and 1Shot but my pictures is just in the color gray. Can't see them at all. Anybody else have this issue since Nokia Black?
Nokia Camera works great thou.

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
For those of you having issues with photos missing, I suggest you read through the forums, and especially this thread, if you wish to reach a solution. Just stating that you have a problem without seeking a solution isn't going to fix your problem.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
But this are new photos, not old. Every photo taken is grey with the apps. Re-install apps etc will make the first picture ok then the rest is down the drain. The photos is there, but everything turns grey.

Tried searching for 1Shot (since I care about that app) but found nothing of interest.

Gian777

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Had the same issue but at different times with the 1020. Seems that this affects me when I'm taking 12+ pix in a span of a few hours.

I must of taken 20+ pix last night and shared all them via Instagram, Whatsapp and WeChat. This morning when I checked them it seems the last 10 pictures I took disappeared for no reason and they're not on my Skydrive and if I connect my phone to my laptop I can't find them either. If I go to WeChat or Whatsapp they still there and I can save them back to the phone at a lower resolution (Which defeats the purpose). It's VERY annoying and I tried everything I saw in this thread but no luck getting them back :(

Andrew Russel

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
@thecrazyswede,

Your answer is close I think, but let me fill you in on a bit more information:

I have a technical background with so always trying to logically reason what goes on with my gear.
I had this issue for the first time today on my Lumia1020
I had this issue for the first 3 months of my Lumia920 before it was updated.

This is what I *think* happen(s)

The Lumia Cameras store the photo information into some kind of buffer (Ram?) So photo taken and written to Storage, Then "normally" the image is written out, with thumbnail and added to an internal database (Cache).
"IF" the database (cache) is not written out, no thumbnail is created or database (cache/index) and the camera eventually "fills" up its buffer (Ram?) and it hangs (locks) .
Hence you need to force reboot it, thus all the "buffer" is lost, so when it restarts the phone doesn't have any index for the pictures taken in the camera roll etc.

My reasoning behind this is that I have my old Lumia920 here and I have "MOVED" all the files off it to my PC and the photo's are still accessible from the phone, and I can't get it to purge the index (database), i'm going to have to do a full reset. (The strange thing is I can still open and edit the pictures as well.... gues that will keep working untill the file system is overwritten.... its very strange, its like file tables, one for Windows and one for phone internally)

On my Lumia1020 I only first experienced this today so i'm hoping its not a frequent event!

I post most of my pictures to instagram if anyone is interested. Instagram Love my Lumia Phones!

I hope the team can find and fix the issues above! when I update my Lumia920 to black i'll try
My lumia1020 is already on black. :(

I hope Sir Rob Mulally could reach this one to @nokiadevelopers or @nokiabetalabs on Twitter

dfredh

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear that photos has disappeared using Nokia Camera.

This issue has been resolved in the latest version. Please go to the store and download the latest version.

After installing the update, enter "..."->settings and press "find" to restore the photos that has disappeared.

Br,
David @ Nokia

TheRadHouse

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone can help me, I believe I have a related problem that is affecting the photos. However I can see the photos on my phone, but can't edit them and if I transfer them to my PC they have zero byte content and if I attempt to view say they unsupported format.

I did update the Nokia Camera app and selected the option in settings to "Find photos and videos shot with Nokia Camera", received the message at the top of the screen advising "Don't go yet, still tagging photos & videos". Returning to the photos they are still unusable.

Unfortunately I only noticed this problem after a very special day with our adopted son and while there are only a few pics on there I am rather loath to risk losing them because they are obviously special. Can anyone think of a way I could recover the photos?

I'm hoping the problem won't occur again now I've updated.

insignis

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue, or more worst. I was taking photos as the battery gone empty and the phone (Lumia 720 with Lumia Black) stopped. After connecting to the power source ALL my pictures were disappeared from the Camera Roll folder also while connecting to phone to a PC via USB cable.
If I want to see the camera roll on the phone itself, it kills the app ASAP and the phone shows the main screen.
Then I tried to shot a new photo but the camera was not able to run! I restarted the phone and after the restart the camera was working. I shot a photo, and this only one photo is shown on the phone and also on the PC!!! Every photo shot before is GONE to the electronic hell...
The last successful upload to the SkyDrive is from yesterday because the pics shot today was in a region where no wireless connection was available.
The picture viewer of the phone tells me that there are failures occurred during the upload, and if I click on this message all my pics of today are listed with tiny previews as a list. So the previews are still somewhere on the phone... But if I click "retry" the app freezes. If I try to reopen the photo viewer, it jumps back to the main screen after some seconds of "running dots".
I tried to tips before to install the latest Nokia Camera and to find all related photos. It finds only the single one shot during this desperate process.
Please help... the pics shot today were important for me, I spent some great time with my son and we shot some great photos together!

Thank you!!!

Mctashatash

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Have tried this 3x, but still not showing up! I have the Lumia 625. After the camera update it is still showing my pictures as blank grey squares, rather than the picture thumbnails. Please help! (I'm a bit of a technophobe, so stuff like this is completely mind-boggling for me)

SHREE NITHYA N

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
guys, the same thing happened to me.
its probable that you changed the way you viewed the pictures, when and if they were connected to the pc.
use a USB cable, connect your phone to your computer. then, open the gallery in the computer, and change the view settings in the top right corner.
it should work.
good luck.

1robdal

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Disappearing photos post Nokia (Microsoft) Camera update

Months on and I have the exact same issue on my lumia 640, as does my daughter on the same phone! Does anyone know how to resolve this? I have tried several different things with no success and have read many threads, none of which has helped. When I connect via my laptop (windows 7) the photos still show as "greyed" out on my sd card. My phone says I have the most up to date and no update is required for the device ( my phone is windows 8.1). Any suggestions to allow both of us to see the photos we have taken on separate phones and separate laptops???

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Disappearing photos post Nokia (Microsoft) Camera update

Months on and I have the exact same issue on my lumia 640, as does my daughter on the same phone! Does anyone know how to resolve this? I have tried several different things with no success and have read many threads, none of which has helped. When I connect via my laptop (windows 7) the photos still show as "greyed" out on my sd card. My phone says I have the most up to date and no update is required for the device ( my phone is windows 8.1). Any suggestions to allow both of us to see the photos we have taken on separate phones and separate laptops???

If you can't open the photos in the laptop, then I suspect your sd card might be the problem. Remove the sd card, take some shots and see if they appear in the phone and laptop.

Also try different photo apps like refocus or camera 360 or proshot. See if any make a difference

mvh57

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I have a nokia Lumia 530 which has to be the worst ever cannot update no room tells me to remove things to allow updates well I would but the stuff I want to remove is built into it, only have a couple of apps I want on there, have card for my photo's to save to and all of a sudden last week or so my photo's disappear and I am left with a grey box, doesn't matter whether they are my pics or someone sent me them I have grey box before I bounce this phone can anyone help me, has updates waiting but cannot do them as no room, didn't realise till I had this a few months that it only had 512RAM and I think 4gb on phone I told the guy when I upgraded I didn't want the phone to be like last one and fill up immediately and me not be able to use it properly but couple months down the line and it filled up and no camera is doing this HELP anyone :angry:

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I have a nokia Lumia 530 which has to be the worst ever cannot update no room tells me to remove things to allow updates well I would but the stuff I want to remove is built into it, only have a couple of apps I want on there, have card for my photo's to save to and all of a sudden last week or so my photo's disappear and I am left with a grey box, doesn't matter whether they are my pics or someone sent me them I have grey box before I bounce this phone can anyone help me, has updates waiting but cannot do them as no room, didn't realise till I had this a few months that it only had 512RAM and I think 4gb on phone I told the guy when I upgraded I didn't want the phone to be like last one and fill up immediately and me not be able to use it properly but couple months down the line and it filled up and no camera is doing this HELP anyone :angry:

First, empty space so you can upgrade. Delete apps or do hard reset. Even try with upgrade advisor app.
Second, your micro sd hard may have problems and that's why photos are dissapeaeing. Save photos on pc, and try to reformat, most likely it will fail and that is a sign of bad sd card.
Third, next time first take a little research about what you buy, and never,ever, never trust to salesman. They are there to earn money, not todo miracles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs