will the lumia 920 get the 8.1 update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
im just wondering because i got mine in august and really don't want to have to change phones because of the next update?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Since I can't multiquote right now:

Windows Phone 8.1 is likely for the spring, and we'll see it moving closer to RT at that point, with possibly a new GDR for WinRT

GDR3 has already begun to roll out to non-Nokia phones. Nokia phones will see the official roll out alongside the Nokia Black firmware, tipped for Q1.

Darren Walsh

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Since I can't multiquote right now:

Windows Phone 8.1 is likely for the spring, and we'll see it moving closer to RT at that point, with possibly a new GDR for WinRT

GDR3 has already begun to roll out to non-Nokia phones. Nokia phones will see the official roll out alongside the Nokia Black firmware, tipped for Q1.

I honestly think (and hope) black will be out before then, I use navifirm and it notifies me about every new firmware the has been released so I will know when it is released to even developers devices so will check back here when I see anything!!

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Of course Nokia will roll out yet another phone about that time with 8.1 pre-installed, thus pushing back 8.1 rollout for every previous Nokia phone by 6 months..... Thats getting old real fast.

Acryion

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Somehow, I doubt the 920 will see 8.1. It's too early to say.

8.1 was announced for every WP8 device. And the L920 is high-end. Then the 1520 will come will have the low-end :520-720-820, mainstream 92x-1320, high-end 929, 1520. Yeah, that will be the new order, but that doesn't need that Microsoft is just throwing everything they've build and sold thus far out the window.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Why wouldn't the Lumia 920 receive 8.1? Because it has too weak internals? That is in this case not applicable, because this isn't the Android platform. We will get the update as well as 925, 928, 1020, 1320 and 1520. The first 3 have the same internals as 920, and it would be a shame if we wouldn't get it. MS can't affort such a fail.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
8.1 was announced for every WP8 device. And the L920 is high-end. Then the 1520 will come will have the low-end :520-720-820, mainstream 92x-1320, high-end 929, 1520. Yeah, that will be the new order, but that doesn't need that Microsoft is just throwing everything they've build and sold thus far out the window.
Not sure how long you've been on the platform but there were substantial promises made with Windows Phone 7, its capabilities, its future up until those promises all changed. As much as I do admire my Lumia 920, a lot could change between this thread and the actual release. Its too early to be making plans.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
the comments are scarying me, if it doesn't come to the 920, it just pushes customers away tbh, i mean on ios, the updates always go to phone at least 3 gens back, as someone at sixth form(yr 12) i can't afford to keep getting new phone everything a major change/update come out. i love windows phone but if 8.1 doesn't go to the 920 then i just think wp will struggle to get more users, especially as 90% of my friends are on 2-2 and half years contract,i asked this question because one of them of thinking of getting a 920 but needed to know if he would get the next major update.
also just to add, after the rumour about bb to wp8 have there been any developments? or news

thanks in advance

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
it will come to all WP8 devices because Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 both have the same core, Windows Phone 7 was based on an old version of Windows which would hold it back significantly, therefore they needed to do what they did to allow all the future innovation and they won't be doing it again

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
the comments are scarying me, if it doesn't come to the 920, it just pushes customers away tbh, i mean on ios, the updates always go to phone at least 3 gens back, as someone at sixth form(yr 12) i can't afford to keep getting new phone everything a major change/update come out. i love windows phone but if 8.1 doesn't go to the 920 then i just think wp will struggle to get more users, especially as 90% of my friends are on 2-2 and half years contract,i asked this question because one of them of thinking of getting a 920 but needed to know if he would get the next major update.
also just to add, after the rumour about bb to wp8 have there been any developments? or news

thanks in advance

That's the downside, (if you want to call it that) of a developing technology. You get the best of what they have to offer on the day they drop it, but always, right around the corner is the next big thing. Sometimes you get there by being on the cusp of your last contract, and sometimes, you miss out before the ink dries.

it will come to all WP8 devices because Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 both have the same core, Windows Phone 7 was based on an old version of Windows which would hold it back significantly, therefore they needed to do what they did to allow all the future innovation and they won't be doing it again

Good luck with that but I'm telling you, WP7 was to go far. In fact, I moved to this platform based on theatrics and promises. I survived the disappoints but my WP7 was supposed to be able do do things like no other phone could. I took the bait that said my WP7 would look at my flight schedule, look at the clock and traffic and let me know if I would get there in time. This was the technology that convinced me and I convinced my wife, who never wanted WP to give it a shot. Again, I've gotten over the disappointments and we both love the platform. But make no mistake about it, Microsoft could turn this thing on a dime and you'll not see 8.1 and be justified at the same time. Me, I'm already looking towards the first 8.1 devices as my next purchase. If we get 8.1 sweet but as I said before, its too early to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo