Is Windows 8.1 comming for L520??

Aniket Bhat

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to break it to you guys, but there's a 50-50 chance of WP8 devices not getting an update to WP 8.1 Even higher chance that it wont come out specifically for the 520. I know it is horrible to know that what you just bought is soon gonna be outdated. I too have a Lumia 520. It's just 3 months old. :( It's just that MS isn't keeping up to their promises, nor is Nokia. (Like when they said all WP8 Devices will have glance screen and double tap to unlock.) Just hope that I'm wrong and they do give 520 an upgrade, that too an actual WP 8.1 update. Not like they did with WP 7.8 , mean while lets just keep our fingers crossed.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to break it to you guys, but there's a 50-50 chance of WP8 devices not getting an update to WP 8.1 Even higher chance that it wont come out specifically for the 520. I know it is horrible to know that what you just bought is soon gonna be outdated. I too have a Lumia 520. It's just 3 months old. :( It's just that MS isn't keeping up to their promises, nor is Nokia. (Like when they said all WP8 Devices will have glance screen and double tap to unlock.) Just hope that I'm wrong and they do give 520 an upgrade, that too an actual WP 8.1 update. Not like they did with WP 7.8 , mean while lets just keep our fingers crossed.

hmmm, I own the L1020 but I've not read anything that would suggest that any WP8 wont get 8.1 update, further more I have two friends with the 520 and they both have double tap to wake and glance screen, (great little phone by the way) and WPCentrals review of the 520 by Daniel also demonstrates the double tap to wake and glance screen as well.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... The glance screen is a hardware issue, not a software one (Nokia cut a few things off so the phone can be cheaper), as for 8.1, we're still a few months away from that point, let GDR3 get released to everybody first and you'll then see 8.1, as will every phone out currently.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

Nonsense, all current wp's will get 8.1

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... The glance screen is a hardware issue, not a software one (Nokia cut a few things off so the phone can be cheaper), as for 8.1, we're still a few months away from that point, let GDR3 get released to everybody first and you'll then see 8.1, as will every phone out currently.

interesting, my understanding, which may be wrong mind you, was that glance and double tap was a software addition that was enabled with GDR2 AND Nokia's amber update

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Not like they did with WP 7.8

That was due to a kernel change, which had to be done at some point. Luckily, for the OP it was done with 7.8, so you will definitely be getting 8.1. However, like with any low end device, some of the more hardware intensive features may not be there. Same for any OS, lets not even talk about updates and android. But, even the iPhone 4S and below didn't get some software features of iOS 7 due to hardware limitations.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
interesting, my understanding, which may be wrong mind you, was that glance and double tap was a software addition that was enabled with GDR2 AND Nokia's amber update

No problem, I remember reading somewhere on here, maybe from the forums or an actual article, that the 520 wasn't getting Glance due to using a lower-end screen. Would be interesting if someone got it enabled somehow though.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
No problem, I remember reading somewhere on here, maybe from the forums or an actual article, that the 520 wasn't getting Glance due to using a lower-end screen. Would be interesting if someone got it enabled somehow though.

Zulfigar, the 520 DOES have glance and double tap to wake, I have two friends with the 520, and both have this feature, also watch the video of WPCentrals review of the 520, Daniel clearly demonstrates these features in the video

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Zulfigar, the 520 DOES have glance and double tap to wake, I have two friends with the 520, and both have this feature, also watch the video of WPCentrals review of the 520, Daniel clearly demonstrates these features in the video

I believe it depends on which 520 version you have. Mine has the RM-915 ROM, and it does NOT have glance and double tap to wake. I don't have one with RM-914, but I think it does have those features. So, you are both correct!

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
guys only at&t have double tap to wake.
but they dont have data sense.
and i have RM-914 and it dont have double tap to wake.

Last edited:

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

sky you are absolutely correct, zulfigar my apology's, was only thinking of the AT&T variant, and had not considered the other 520 Variants

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

That's interesting! I didn't really know for sure about RM-914, so I stand corrected. Mine is RM-915, but not the AT&T ROM. I don't have glance or double tap to wake.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
That was due to a kernel change, which had to be done at some point. Luckily, for the OP it was done with 7.8...

That a kernel change occurred is true, but that this is what hampered upgradability is still utter nonsense... always has been...

Guys win 8.1 is comming for L520?? And when??

This is the final word on WP8.1 upgradability:

When Microsoft releases WP8.1, it will be compatible with every last WP device currently on the market, including the L520.

EDIT:
This is what MS means when they say devices will be upgradable, but note that being upgradable doesn't mean devices will be upgraded. The issue is that MS doesn't have direct control over OEMs or carriers, so MS can't make promises on their behalf, meaning it's never 100% certain that every update MS releases will reach every device.

Anyway, all WP OEMs are expected to release WP8.1 for all of their devices. All carriers are expected to sign off on WP8.1 being distributed over their network. At this time, it seems certain that both OEMs and carriers will play nice (just as they have for all the GDR updates), and that you will get WP8.1, no matter what WP device you currently own. Under the strictest standards however, it's wrong to say that it is guaranteed, because there is a difference between 99.9% and 100% certainty.

WP8.1 is expected in the spring of 2014.

Last edited:

impratick

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

you right glance screen feature is available in gdr2 update but its not working in L520 instead of gdr2 is installed!!

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05