Trouble with Unlocking Device

silent1rain

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I bought 2 Nokia Lumia 1020's (full price) at the Microsoft Store about a week ago and I have been struggling with At&t to get it unlocked (I want to use it in Tmobile's network and for study abroad). I'm a former At&t wireless customer and current Internet customer but that doesn't make it any easier to unlock the device. I've spoken with many representatives and they all have directed me to the att.com/deviceunlock website. However, the IMEI section always rejects our phone and says it can't be unlocked. I had a representative supposedly fill it out but never received an email response, and now I have been talking to the in store rep's to attempt to get it unlocked. No luck so far.

Long story short, is anybody currently having these issues? I've read various forums on here that people claim they were able to unlock it the same day they bought it (at the Microsoft store). Is there any hope!?!? Are there any solutions to this dilemma?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately it is illegal to use third party sites or anything where I live. So I won't go there. Thank you though.

Seriously? Where the heck do you live? I just can't imagine a legitimate law that would ban consumers from doing with their fully paid for devices whatever they want.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Seriously? Where the heck do you live? I just can't imagine a legitimate law that would ban consumers from doing with their fully paid for devices whatever they want.

The same place you live, the United States. The carriers had a law passed making it illegal to unlock a carrier branded phone without the carriers permission.

I always buy unbranded/unlocked phones.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The same place you live, the United States. The carriers had a law passed making it illegal to unlock a carrier branded phone without the carriers permission.

I always buy unbranded/unlocked phones.

Talk about corrupt law making. When I first read the post above I thought it must be some oppressive communist third world country.

Anyway its not really illegal per se, but it has gotten more ... complicated.

For anyone else interested in this:
For brief summary see: Unlocking new phones now banned under DMCA, the EFF weighs in but for an in depth interesting read on this topic read https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2012-26308.pdf; also response in https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-unlocking-cell-phones-legal/1g9KhZG7

So now I have learnt something new; thanks palandri.

Last edited:

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately it is illegal to use third party sites or anything where I live. So I won't go there. Thank you though.

Don't give up on using a paid service to unlock your phone - from what I read about this, the consensus seems to be that nothing will happen if you unlock your device, but if you ditch on a contract with AT&T (ie if you paid contract price) or anyone else after unlocking, they can sue your a$$.

That said, if you do have any obligation on this, don't screw around with trying to get out of the contract; carriers can kill your IMEI which effective bricks the device - then if your caught trying to change the IMEI at that point you're in potential legal trouble with the FCC.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Don't give up on using a paid service to unlock your phone - from what I read about this, the consensus seems to be that nothing will happen if you unlock your device, but if you ditch on a contract with AT&T (ie if you paid contract price) or anyone else after unlocking, they can sue your a$$.

That said, if you do have any obligation on this, don't screw around with trying to get out of the contract; carriers can kill your IMEI which effective bricks the device - then if your caught trying to change the IMEI at that point you're in potential legal trouble with the FCC.

I'd like to mention that once unlocked, and if the original carrier blacklists the imei, you cannot use the phone on original carrier, however you can use it on all other carriers.
Am not saying go ahead and do that, just a view on your statement :), I have no idea of US laws and stuff but what I said is a fact ;)

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here. Activated and used on AT&T. This was replacement phone fully paid for but the AT&T portal says cannot unlock now. Customer Support said no too and directed me to the site.

gbbg

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Apparently, my ol 920 which is a brick now got its unlock code couple of weeks back from At&t even though I am still under contract. I guess I will wait for 60 days before I try again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers