Dream on

sraffe8283

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Dream on as this price in the UK will kill sales and everybody will go with the Samsung Galaxy.

FINNISH PHONE MAKER Nokia's Lumia 1520 smartphone has been given an early price of ?699 in the UK, a significant markup on its $749 price in the US.

The INQUIRER has spotted Nokia's debut phablet, which was unveiled at Nokia World in Abu Dhabi last week, at the website of European electronics retailer Alternate. The little known website has started taking pre-orders for the Lumia 1520 smartphone, and has slapped it with an asking price of ?699.

This is likely to irk some potential buyers, as the phone has been priced at $749 in the US, the equivalent of around ?462.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This price differential is pretty much normal for consumer goods. Xbox One will be USD$500, but ?429 here in the UK. Same also for software. Some vendors cite differences in local tax/ employment/distribution costs for the difference in real terms costs.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, aren't phones (and other devices) always more expensive on pre-order than when they normally roll out?
It does seem like a huge price, but eventually things will settle down I guess, and you should be able to buy it for the suggested price.

Also, the $750 price that Nokia gave was just a rough estimate, most probably without the taxes. So, retail stores will always be more expensive, that's how they work.
I found a preety fine website (works only for Serbia tho), that avoids most of those problems and sells SIM-free smartphones for the lowest prices (original phones, not stolen or whatever).
So, I suggest you to do the same, pre-ordering a phone from a retailer is the last thing you should do (if you don't plan to spend nearly twice as much money).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett