Camera grip battery life

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Is it me or does the camera grip not really add that much in the way of battery life? It seems to run out of charge extremely fast.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
When I was on holiday in August and used the 1020 for a ton of photos and videos each day the grip definitely made a huge difference. The phone usually ran out around 1500 and the grip made it possible to use until the evening. Only on two or three occasion I had to plug it into a car charger to get a bit of juice in late afternoon.

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 1020 has a 2000 mAh battery, the camera grip has a 1020 mAh battery.

So, purely arithmetically, the grip should be able to add 51 % to one of these values, or possibly even more, since after that battery test the Amber udpate was supplied which in general is reported to improve the battery life.

How many more photos you can take with the grip can probably not be answered, since the camera unit's power consumption depends strongly on how it is used.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
On a trip to Spain I was very glad to have the camera grip. Any extra capacity is welcome and the grip allowed me to comfortably go a full day despite very heavy use.

frank ha

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
In theory it should add 51% to the battery life. But in reality because of the loss in energy transfer from battery type to battery, you can only get around plus 30% to the battery status in 1020.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My camera grip stays on my 1020. I love the extra battery life and the phone still slips right in my back pocket, grip and all.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The official '55' minutes that the battery grip adds are most likely for video recoding... I noticed that video recording uses a lot of power, in fact so much that the battery will run flat in just about 2 hours... so that 55 minutes value for the 1020 mAh makes sense.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My camera grip ads a lot of time to my battery life. ITs adds so much I do not keep it on my phone. I save it for when I think I will need it.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
From what I understand about the camera grip is that it keeps the phone topped up while attached. This would theoretically mean that you are actually going to burn through the grip's battery first, then the phone.

Either that, or they run in parallel, draining at the same time.

Hmm, now I am questioning myself. If they are in parallel and draining simultaneously, would the grip also charge the phone? This would mean that the grip would drain twice as fast.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
From what I understand about the camera grip is that it keeps the phone topped up while attached. This would theoretically mean that you are actually going to burn through the grip's battery first, then the phone.

Either that, or they run in parallel, draining at the same time.

Hmm, now I am questioning myself. If they are in parallel and draining simultaneously, would the grip also charge the phone? This would mean that the grip would drain twice as fast.

You can either leave the grip on so that it charges the phone as the phone battery depletes or turn the grip off to keep the additional power in reserve.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You can either leave the grip on so that it charges the phone as the phone battery depletes or turn the grip off to keep the additional power in reserve.

How do you turn the grip off? The little button, I thought, was to display how much charge the grip has.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
How do you turn the grip off? The little button, I thought, was to display how much charge the grip has.

hold the button until it blinks a few times.

def helpful to have a grip for extra battery when you are using the camera often

i also have a nokia battery pack as a back up.

regarding charging, sometimes it doesnt seem to charge fully with the phone plugged in. i prefer to unplug the phone and charge them separately .

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
hold the button until it blinks a few times.

def helpful to have a grip for extra battery when you are using the camera often

i also have a nokia battery pack as a back up.

regarding charging, sometimes it doesnt seem to charge fully with the phone plugged in. i prefer to unplug the phone and charge them separately .

Thanks! I finally figured out how to use this...

FFugue

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I often turn the battery off on the grip when I know I'm not gonna need the extra energy but still want the grip for taking or just to make it easier to hold the phone, but one thing I have noticed, I might be wrong about that, but my phone's battery seems to last longer without the grip than with the grip turned off. Did anyone else notice that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon