Lumia 1020 successor

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Do we expect a 1020 successor in next year's MWC? That will have the same or better camera, but, the hardware configuration of 1520 with smaller screen but same resolution. After seeing numerous commercials of 1020. I am tempted with its camera, but hate the hardware specifications. Even in its reviews it has stated, that because of slow hardware the camera is bit slow.

Usman Mubashir

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I want Nokia to add a removable battery to it somehow and if they do it without us having to remove the back cover, it will be best. I think the most they can give is a device which stores true 4k video capturing and either a sd card support or a device with huge internal storage (at least 128GB considering that 1GB of 4k video is only 2mins long)
Plus, they should limit the weight at less than that of 920.
It sounds too good to be true but if Nokia wants to release a true high end camera phone, lets just put in all things and I will be happy to pay them +$1000.

Marlon Bu

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Do we expect a 1020 successor in next year's MWC? That will have the same or better camera, but, the hardware configuration of 1520 with smaller screen but same resolution. After seeing numerous commercials of 1020. I am tempted with its camera, but hate the hardware specifications. Even in its reviews it has stated, that because of slow hardware the camera is bit slow.
With the New "Nokia Camera" App it isn't slow anymore.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
With the New "Nokia Camera" App it isn't slow anymore.

Irrespective of camera app. 1020 has a great camera but has 2 year old and outdated hardware. You need to have the latest hardware in order to support the camera. Take a look at Xperia Z1, can 1020 take 8 pics in one second?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
You could argue its using 2year old hardware compared to some android phones, sure but the fact is Windows Phones manage their hardware much better. No lags here. It might take longer to take a picture than the Z1 but that's not taking 2 pictures and using oversampling.

Its like apples and oranges. Not to mention the coming RAW support.

Either way I would expect a refresh in a year to a year and a half from this point, personally.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
There will be a successor fo' sho! Can't wait for it.
Considering I'm already saving money, I expect to have enough just when it comes out (I buy phones sim-free, without contracts and so on).

I would be happy enough if it was a Lumia 1520 with 1020's camera, tho improvements are welcome.
But I'm sure Nokia(MS) will come out with something new, I'm just afraid MS won't ruin it.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The successor to the 1020 is kind of up in the air, because by that time it will be Microsoft's decision not Nokia's anymore. So it all depends on what plans Microsoft has for the Nokia division it is buying.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Slow hardware? You sir, have been horribly misled. My Lumia 1020 never stutters or lags, runs like a dream. What you're referring to is the long-ish Pro Camera app (now Nokia Camera) startup time, and the few seconds between successive shots. That's because loading such a whopping camera has got to take its toll on the processor, especially since it's saving both a 5MP oversampled and a 38MP photo at the exact same time.

Otherwise, this thing runs like lightning and runs buttery smooth. And now that Nokia SmartCam + Pro Cam are combined into one app (Nokia Camera), you can easily switch between the two, so you can use SmartCam's features to take many fast, rapid and successive shots (you just can't go back and rezoom later). SmartCam is for the fast things in life, Pro Cam is for anything standing still where you're going to be manually adjusting the settings to get the perfect shot.

So please, don't be misled, the Lumia 1020 is a fast little thing. Also, consider this: Yes, a newer model will likely come out next year, with beefed up specs, that will help combat the latency between startup and shot-to-shot. However, in the meantime, think about all the great shots, moments in life you'll be missing. It's as the saying goes, "The best camera is the one you have with you." Life won't care that you're waiting for next best model. Life is always in motion, and the next great technological revolution is always just around the corner.

I'd recommend just buying a Lumia 1020 now, you won't regret it. Always putting things off because you're waiting for what's next is no way to live. Treat yourself and buy the awesome Lumia 1020, and take some beautiful pictures along the way.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, in the past it's been a month or two between announcement and launch. Seeing as how there has been no announcement, it's anyone's guess. So, do you wait at least two months or go for it now? I just got my 1020 for free on contract recently so it was an easy decision for me. Additionally, it will likely be 2 GDR's before WP 8.1 is stable, so there's that to consider. The 1020 is stable now.

Mike_J

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Love the 1020 - Travelling in the US for three weeks and it is going great. Last holiday had a Lumia 920 and a Sony Cybershot - ditched the Sony and the 1020 is taking better pictures and less bulk. Also first trip without dell xt3 - running a Surface pro and could not be happier, less weight but full functionality.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I own a Lumia 920. So upgrading from 920 to 1020 will be a minor upgrade except for camera. I don't have a choice but, to wait for the successor of 1020

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
From someone who upgraded from a 920 to the 1020 it is a major upgrade for many reasons. 1) The camera. 2) 2Gb Ram which will fair better with future OS updates. 3) ball bearing OIS 4) it is faster than the 920. You do lose wireless charging and I miss the red color but overall this phone is more future proof than the 920 and is still getting some major updates from Nokia. Games such as Order and Chaos run so much more smoothly with a higher FPS.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I think we all do welcome better hardware for better image processing results. I feel like 1020 is currently restricted by the power of the hardware given with the massive 41MP photo processing. With raw photos option coming, more horsepower is always a welcome. But I doubt there will be another 41MP Pureview anymore. MS will not be focusing so much on camera for sure, but its ecosystem along with the mobile OS. And since Nokia has now joined the tablet market, seamless integration and windows store apps will be their top priority.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I dont think their will be a 1020 successor soon,
Nokia is currently building an army of phones which suit all mass. Their are very few people who will want the best camera.
Normal 8-13-20 mp cameras do the day to day job,41mp camera's are niche products,but still 1020 is selling well.

Nokia and Microsoft will be focusing on low end and mid end phones now, and will try to get the software right.
With WP 8.1 nearing they dont want to goof up with anything.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why most manufacturers except Samsung opted for nonremovable batteries for their flagship products. The only reason I think is to force everyone to buy a new phone once the battery unable to hold charge anymore. I hope Lumia 1020 successor will have a removable battery.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I think is to force everyone to buy a new phone once the battery unable to hold charge anymore.
I don't think I have ever had a phone where the life of the phone has been longer than the battery - I have always replaced the phone before the battery becomes problematic.
I don't replace for that reason, just that after 1-2 years I'm ready for a new phone.

on the list of wants for a 1020 successor, a removable battery would be at the bottom of my list :smile:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I would be shocked...SHOCKED... if there isn't a 1020 version WP8.1 by the summer of 2014. I also will be shocked if it is not a larger screen, quad core, and an equal or better shooter. I can see even more built in software just to maximize the effectiveness of the pictures and shutter speed. They might even be able to engineer a way to cut down on the bulk of the camera hump.

This is one of those ways Nokia is distinquishing themselves, and with the Sony Z1 getting rave reviews for it's camera, Nokia will be coming full boar enraged to protect it's throne. Even if MS has completed their purchase of Nokia's hardware division by then, the existing engineers and development teams will have a dozen or so devices in the design/testing phases, so Nokia will be able to dictate what WP devices are released for at least the entirety of 2014 and most likely into 2015. Bet on a new and improved 1020, hopefully with more carriers selling it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99