Preorders are now LIVEfor all of the new Surface devicesfor Fall 2021

11-12-2013 11:31 AM
33 12
tools
    How long have you had the device and have you been disappointed about any bugs, unavailable software updates, battery, camera, speaker volume, display quality, features you will never get, etc....

Or are you still 100% happy with your 520 or wish you got a different phone ?
    11-03-2013 02:39 PM
    I got my 520 a couple of months ago when my 920 was stolen. Considering the how cheap it is I think it is awesome. The battery life is about twice as good as on the 920. I miss a flash and better cam and the high quality of the 920. A pro is how light it is and the design. I keep it until the 1520 is available. The speaker sucks, but I don't mind. I don't wish I got another phone.

I'll give it 4/10 overall. 9/10 compared to the price.
    For comparison I'll give the 920 8/10 and 7/10 compared to price.
    11-03-2013 02:56 PM
    I guess it's been 4 months + now that I have been using this phone. I was actually going for an HTC One X+ but I chose this one instead and saved the rest of the money. I don't know if it was a wise decision or not but compared to the price I guess this is the bomb. Better than any entry level smartphone for sure.

Camera dissapointed me. The quality sucks to be frank. If the light is just fine, the phone is able to click decent image but otherwise its all grainy. Second would be the lags. YES LAGS... :| Sometimes when I recieve a call the phone freezes and im unable to pick call. I have to pull out battery and restart. Though this happens very rarely but this pissed me off a lot. Frequent crashes and hangs which I suppose are due to the fact that Windows Phone 8 is just way too restrictive to allow browsers and the fact that the phone has 512MB of ram.

But then again.. For Rs 8500 this is the best thing...
    11-03-2013 11:20 PM
    Very happy. Just $168 and I get literally all the functionality I need. Still going fine after almost 4 months.
    11-03-2013 11:40 PM
    Hmmm..

To be honest, it varies day to day. I like that I didn't spend more than $100 for a semi reliable phone.

Pros:
    - perfect size
    - camera (I thought this thing would be awful in low lights but its not that bad)

Cons:
    - lag (slows up from time to time, but not enough to make me throw it)
    - signal reception (I have a LOT of dropped calls)
    - app crash/restart (internet explorer can't handle intensive data sites and when I multi task back to things, it always refreshes)

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk
    11-04-2013 12:20 AM
    I guess it's been 4 months + now that I have been using this phone. I was actually going for an HTC One X+ but I chose this one instead and saved the rest of the money. I don't know if it was a wise decision or not but compared to the price I guess this is the bomb. Better than any entry level smartphone for sure.

Camera dissapointed me. The quality sucks to be frank. If the light is just fine, the phone is able to click decent image but otherwise its all grainy. Second would be the lags. YES LAGS... :| Sometimes when I recieve a call the phone freezes and im unable to pick call. I have to pull out battery and restart. Though this happens very rarely but this pissed me off a lot. Frequent crashes and hangs which I suppose are due to the fact that Windows Phone 8 is just way too restrictive to allow browsers and the fact that the phone has 512MB of ram.

But then again.. For Rs 8500 this is the best thing...
    Hmmm..

To be honest, it varies day to day. I like that I didn't spend more than $100 for a semi reliable phone.

Pros:
    - perfect size
    - camera (I thought this thing would be awful in low lights but its not that bad)

Cons:
    - app crash/restart (internet explorer can't handle intensive data sites and when I multi task back to things, it always refreshes)

This is enough to put me off...but I'm not sure if its worth paying close to double the price for an 820 or pay 3 times the price and get the 920, what do you think ?

The 520 and 820 are currently my only Windows phone options on an AFFORDABLE contract. I'm trying to decide which one.
    11-04-2013 12:55 AM
    820 for sure. Its brilliant and i had taken it over 920.
    I have been using this phone for past 9 months. It shows no sign of slowing down. I can change the back covers whenever i like. It has got expandable memory and only one in Lumia range (apart from flagships) to score 1GB of Ram.

Fired from my Lumia 820
    11-04-2013 01:42 AM
    Cons:

I agree with the point of call drops but I experience lags very rarely and even my ie doesnt crash often....and refreshing of pages while multitasking isnt such a bad thing....
    11-04-2013 01:45 AM
    820 for sure. Its brilliant and i had taken it over 920.
    I have been using this phone for past 9 months. It shows no sign of slowing down. I can change the back covers whenever i like. It has got expandable memory and only one in Lumia range (apart from flagships) to score 1GB of Ram.

Fired from my Lumia 820
    And battery life ?
    11-04-2013 03:22 AM
    And battery life ?

Well, I put off my WiFi, GPS, Data when not needed and phone easily lasts for 1 day with a hour of music playback, some texts, calls and 10-30 minutes of games.

Fired from my Lumia 820
    11-04-2013 09:38 AM
    Hmmm..

Pros:
    - perfect size

Cons:

Man, you really expect a lot for 100 bucks! I don't have any of these problems.
    11-04-2013 03:24 PM
    And battery life ?
    I don't use mine as much as some, but I can get 2+ days.
    11-04-2013 03:28 PM
    I`m still happy with my 520, i have concerns regarding sim contacts , lack of call duration and messages counter, but i`m happy to redescover it every day .
    11-04-2013 03:29 PM
    I've had mine for about 3 weeks and so far I have been impressed with it for the price ($80 at RadioShack). The only issue that bugs me is when I am browsing the music store, it's slow/laggy and sometimes closes out the page. I have an Xbox Music pass and I got this after a Lumia 900.
    PROS
    -MicroSD slot
    -super long battery life
    -changeable back over

CONS
    -No flash
    -No LTE

Everything else like NFC or a FFC would be nice but for this price I wouldn't expect to have them. I have ATT and only got this because my Lumia 900 lcd (not the glass) panel shattered, rendering it unusable, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the 520. I'd give it a 7/10.
    11-04-2013 04:05 PM
    Man, you really expect a lot for 100 bucks! I don't have any of these problems.

I don't expect anything except good reception, which I don't have half the time

11-04-2013 04:36 PM
    I've had mine since August. I just wish it had more internal space for apps and games. Otherwise I'm happy with it.
    PeltFrelken likes this.
    11-04-2013 04:44 PM
    I said this in another thread yesterday, but my boss, who is 100% apple, hates ms, bought one for his daughter. He was very impressed with the quality for the price. Says it's working out great for her.

my daughter was using my handmedown sammy focus and lost it. I found an L520 on amazon and combined with bonus points it cost me $25. It's been an awesome phone for her.
    11-05-2013 12:37 PM
    Is the reception/dropped call problem entirely the fault of your phone or does your carriers signal share some of the blame?

I have the 521 which is the same device. I'm running T-Mo in an area where T-Mobile is strong and I rarely ever have had a dropped call while using the device. Now, if I travel somewhere where T-MO is not that good, I might expect more suspect signals. But thats not really the fault of the device.

For the price I paid for this device, I don't think I could have gotten more value for my $$. I've had it for about 6 months now and I've gotten my money's worth out of it and more.

That's all I can ask for any product I buy regardless of what it is and what it costs
    Last edited by Oakdale Dude; 11-05-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    11-05-2013 01:00 PM
    I've had mine since August. I just wish it had more internal space for apps and games. Otherwise I'm happy with it.
    add an SD card?
    11-05-2013 02:27 PM
    I wish you could store apps and games on the SD.
    11-05-2013 02:45 PM
    Their is one aspect of my 520 that pisses me right off. resuming the screen in call is buggy as ****. if you need to use numbers in call it is very difficult to get it to react appropriately. It will typically flash on and disappear again. this is highly disappointing because it is a basic function. FIX IT NOW NOKIA!
    11-05-2013 06:16 PM
    I wish you could store apps and games on the SD.
    From my understanding is that apps and games can not be installed on the SD card because of the fact the SD card is removable. Apps and games just like a regular PC are put into the registry. It is possible but I think MS doesn't want to for UX or space reasons.
    11-05-2013 07:47 PM
    Overall, I'm very happy with the 520. I purchased it the first day it went on sale at an AT&T store. I haven't experienced any significant lag. Overall, it's snappy and Windows OS is smooth. It's plenty fast for me, even with 4G. I use wifi most of the time. I've never experienced any dropped calls. A few times, the phone restarted when I streamed my music from Google Play on UC Browser. Otherwise, no random reboots. Of course, the app selection can be better, and I'm going to be patient that the selection and quality will be better. Metrovoice is on par with 1st party Google Voice. I love having FM radio. Standby battery life is much better than my prior S3. I like having a user replaceable battery. The $100 price tag makes all this even sweeter.

I'm going to be patient that more developers will be on board for more apps. Some of the drawbacks are that the apps are not as good as the Android equivalent. I'm hoping for a notification center, and perhaps, the rumored Cortana voice feature. I wish the camera picture quality was a better, but it's not a deal breaker.
    stalemate1 likes this.
    11-05-2013 09:33 PM
    After a couple months, I'm reasonably happy. I bought it for the incredibly low price as a way to try out Windows Phone and T-Mobile (coming from Blackberry and then Android on Sprint). My problems with reception have been limited to T-Mobile coverage issues, though the Wi-Fi calling helps make up for that. Battery life has been excellent--much better than Nexus on Sprint, though not quite up to the Blackberry 8330 or 9650 (which isn't a fair comparison). I'm not a heavy user and while I charge it every night I suspect I could get two days with my light use. I don't have any complaints about lag, but that's in comparison to Android, not higher end Windows devices. My primary complaint is that lack of flash--not so much because of the camera as because I like having a flashlight app. My other big complaint is the lack of a notification light or customizable text/vmail alerts, but that's a WP issue, not a phone issue. (I'm also annoyed that it takes two steps to answer an incoming call, and that the phone dialer seems to default to the call log rather than to the dialpad. Why?? Am I missing something.)

In short, for a non-power user who appreciates low price and long battery life more than all the bells and whistles, it seems like a great phone. I've been thinking about getting a Nexus 5, but I'm just not sure it's worth the extra $$$ (for my needs) and I really like having a removable battery.
    stalemate1 likes this.
    11-05-2013 11:26 PM
    From my understanding is that apps and games can not be installed on the SD card because of the fact the SD card is removable. Apps and games just like a regular PC are put into the registry. It is possible but I think MS doesn't want to for UX or space reasons.
    Of course everyone is different, but the vast majority of my storage is taken up with music and media. Apps are about 5 gb (and I think I have way too many apps). I wish I could put an sd card in my L920 for more music/videos.
    11-06-2013 10:29 AM
33 12