New owner not impressed with Lumia camera

grunge100

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
The camera seems to work real nice with daylight shots, but at night the camera seems to struggle.

This picture was taken in night mode, the room was fairly well lit.
WP_20131105_18_44_46_Pro[1].jpg

All of my night pictures turn out this way. Am I missing something, some setting that I may of overlooked? All help is appreciated. Or is this camera not what it's supposed to be.

kb4000

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
What is your main complaint? The blurriness? Since I have never seen how this picture should look it's hard to tell what the problem is. Mine works great at night.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

grunge100

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Another one taken in low light, not dark by any means, using Nokia pro cam. The pic is not sharp at all, my old Trophy can rival this photo--which is really crummy.

WP_20131105_21_09_25_Pro[1].jpg

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, the pictures seem to be blurry. What are your setting that you use for low light pics?

Here's what I would try using Nokia Pro Cam:
- Manually set ISO to 200. You want to stick within the 100-400 range for most shots. Never go above 800.
- Hold the phone very still when taking the photo.

The grain you are getting is largely from ISO shooting up. A smartphone will default to raising the ISO because it doesn't expect the user to hold the phone very still. If you manually set the ISO to a lower number, the software will instead increase the exposure time to compensate. This will reduce the grain, but you have to hold the phone still or you will get blur. Let us know how it goes.

grunge100

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Night mode, ISO 200 with flash

WP_20131105_21_32_58_Pro[1].jpg

Night mode, ISO 200 without flash: 2.8 second exposure

WP_20131105_21_34_10_Pro[1].jpg

Do these look better? I am wondering if it is the hardware?(something is not functioning correctly) I bought this off contract at ebay, and I do not like getting hosed.

Thanks for your feedback.

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 48890

View attachment 48891

Do these look better? I am wondering if it is the hardware?(something is not functioning correctly) I bought this off contract at ebay, and I do not like getting hosed.

2.8 seconds without motion blur? Thats a crazy long exposure.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you're taking shots at 1/10 or below what can you expect? Not even a point and shoot or DSLR can save you from that, but a tripod will :)

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It is not the device, it is the condition of shooting and the scene. As previously mentioned, the ISO will cause a lot of noise to show up in your photos. At ISO 200 the shutter needs to be open longer (for more light to get into the sensor) and object shake (not in this case as it is still) or photographer shake (due to lack of tripod) are the common issues.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 48890

View attachment 48891

First of all, if you were holding the phone in your hands, I am amazed that the second photo looks as clear as it does with a 2.8 second exposure. That is some impressive steadiness.

I think these photos look MUCH better, and what you should probably expect from the camera. If you are at all disappointed with these results, keep in mind that you are presenting the camera with a fairly challenging shooting situation. Very few smartphones would be able to offer comparable results, and that's just the way it is with smartphone technology at the moment.

So no, I don't see anything wrong with these shots that would indicate you got a bad device. Take the phone out tomorrow in the daytime and try shooting in a few different situations to see how it comes out. I can tell you right now that one of the great strengths of the 928 is macro photography, so hopefully you should be able to see some satisfying results there.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I never change modes, use the default camera and I have great shots night or day. They rival my point and shoot cannon.

I'm not sure how you are taking the pictures or what modes, but I have no issues. try the same shots side by side with a different phone camera and see if they compare (also, try default settings as well, with out manually changing modes or the default camera, maybe it's a setting you set).

grunge100

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate your input, I will continue to mess around with the settings to get better photos. This phone camera takes really nice outdoor photo's but the indoor ones are a different story (using auto settings) I may have been expecting too much, but that's ok. BTW I have a Cannon SX260 point and shoot, and the 928 cannot rival it indoors at all.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate your input, I will continue to mess around with the settings to get better photos. This phone camera takes really nice outdoor photo's but the indoor ones are a different story (using auto settings) I may have been expecting too much, but that's ok. BTW I have a Cannon SX260 point and shoot, and the 928 cannot rival it indoors at all.

Are you serious ? the Canon is almost as big as the phone and it's only a CAMERA and you want to the 928 to rival the SX260 -
-you have unrealistic expectation.
BTW the 928 doesn't fly either so don't try taking a trip anywhere soon on or in it :wink:
Compare:
CANON SX260 12.1MP ~ 6.17mm X 4.55mm sensor ~ F3.5 - F6.8 aperture ~ 4000 x 3000 Max image resolution ~ w/ a superb OS (Optical Stabilizer)
vs
Nokia 928 8.7 MP (effective 8PM/7.1MP ) ~ 4.80mm X 3.60mm sensor ~ fixed F2.0 aperture ~ 3556 X 2448 Max image resolution.

Enjoy the camera on the 928 it's quite good
but the Canon doesn't make very good phone calls.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 928 camera doesn't do pics as well as the 920 as a rule IMHO, but they are better than others. Take advantage of the links Mussing dropped. They helped me.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My cannon takes better shots, it's just a camera (and has optical zoom), but for shots to print as 4x5 for the photo album, I can't tell the difference. Best smart phone camera I have ever used.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Here is something I did a while ago. You can see the grain and blur...but the bottom half is the screencap of the viewfinder as it looked at the time.

3 months (L) and 3 years (R)

:D

715e43b7-258b-4c23-89b5-585368121a16_jpeg.jpg

Also...I don't feel like the update to GDR3 and update to Nokia Camera (from Pro Cam) have helped...it seems a bit off lately, but hard to put my finger on why.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss