8.1 Amber Update for Lumia 920

Adnan Nazir

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
My query is very simple and short. I just want to know when WP8 Amber update arrive in Pakistan for Nokia Lumia 920 ? Some people say it already arrived but whenever i checked for update it says Your Phone is already Updated something like that. It came for UK dont't say is this the reason ?

Last edited by a moderator:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Adnan, first, Amber isn't 8.1. You're a bit confused there. It's known as GDR2. GDR3 will be Black.

Second, to find out what is on your phone go to your Settings -> About is should say 'Amber' if it's up to date.

In the About section it should tell you everything you need to know. You can take a 'snap shot' of your screen and post it here. To do that you just press the Windows logo and Power button at the same time. The resulting image is saved in Screenshot in Camera Hub. If you post that we can help you more.

Harshana Abeysinghe

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
ok first, for Lumia 920,
There are 3 updates,
1.Amber +GDR2(ONLY FOR NOKIA Phones(others just get GDR2))
2.Black+GDR3(ONLY FOR NOKIA Phones(others just get GDR3))
3.Windowsphone 8.1
So if it says Amber On a Nokia Lumia 920 phone, that means you have both GDR2 & Amber :)

so Amber which is also called GDR2 is now Live (meaning you can download it)...If you are not sure what Update you have, then go to settings =>About => and you will See "AMBER" in your screen, If it says AMBER, YOU ARE UP TO DATE :) If it doesnt say, Then please post a Screenshoot so we can c it.(ALSO Go to Music+Video and when you c the collection, you should be able to c a option called "RADIO"... This only comes if you have AMBER(GDR2) Update :)

now as your furthur Knowdledge ,
GDR 3 update is still in Developer Mode(which means General people can't still get it, but you can create a Developer Account and get it) .. That Update will soon come to your phone(before January 31,2014) as a General Update for everyone :)

Then after that update, Another Big Update will come and thats called "WindowsPhone8.1" (it will in middle of 2014 i think).

So, Again 8.1 is NOT AMBER, AMBER and 8.1 are TWO DIFFERENT updates :)
and as for your questions, The only update you can have in your phone is AMBER... so check that out..( You cant get GDR3 or 8.1 now)

Last edited:

euichii

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Just a correction. GDR2 is not amber, same as GDR3 is not black. They are different from each other because GDR's are OS updates and are from MS. On the other hand Amber/Black are firmware updates that are from Nokia. It just so happens that they are released to the public at the same time, but it does not mean that they are just one update. They are just released at the same time after checks are made by MS,Nokia & the carriers. Also one more thing, GDR3 can already be downloaded,although not a public release which brings rotation lock and closing of apps in the multi tasking screen. If you want to know how to get GDR3/Update 3 just search here in the forums.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
^^ i guess by Amber you mean GDR2.

And GDR3 can be updated on all the phones after developer unlocking for free (the owner does not have to be a developer but registered as one)

Harshana Abeysinghe

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Just a correction. GDR2 is not amber, same as GDR3 is not black. They are different from each other because GDR's are OS updates and are from MS. On the other hand Amber/Black are firmware updates that are from Nokia. It just so happens that they are released to the public at the same time, but it does not mean that they are just one update. They are just released at the same time after checks are made by MS,Nokia & the carriers. Also one more thing, GDR3 can already be downloaded,although not a public release which brings rotation lock and closing of apps in the multi tasking screen. If you want to know how to get GDR3/Update 3 just search here in the forums.

Yah but he has a Nokia lumia 920(and as for his post, what i got was he didnt understand what GDR and 8.1 at all..) so i have edited ma post now . .Thanks :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yes we know that GDRs are MS and the other is the Nokia firmware. However, Nokia devices are joint updates so they're typically referred to by their Nokia update name.

The download for GDR3 is a developer download. Yes everyone can download it and it is the full GDR3 I've been running it since it came out.

However, the OP was asking about Amber/GDR2. So that's what we should stick to.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Now that there is a WP update preview program but no Nokia firmware update preview program, we can't assume Amber = GDR2 anymore. Lots of people have GDR3 with Amber now.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
WP version has nothing to do with amber, and black, its like two parallel updates, one from microsoft the "GDRs", and the other from Nokia aka "amber" and "black".
Amber has a minimum requirement of GDR2, black will have a minimum requirement of GDR3.

And I have the preview of GDR3 + Amber installed on my Lumia 920

geoghotas

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello Adna iam also from pakistan there is no need to launch updates for paksitan because they feeling jealouse Pakistani nation and Pakistan dont talk about amber or offline maps for pakistan i have solid idea how to get the amber updates to your lumia 920 frist of all install the nokia care suite and then copy all nokia lumia 920 variant codes and check the all variant codes in NCS Nokia care suite which frimware version is upper the current your frimware download it manually and find the path where it downloaded then just rename the your product code and close the NCS and then restart it and go to network offline mood in NFC and then recovery mood it ill be amber flashed i have experience to change the frimware you must have experience at least 1/2 years otherwise if you dont have any idea please contact with me.
geoghotas@hotmail.com email me your contact no

tipu2185

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello Adna iam also from pakistan there is no need to launch updates for paksitan because they feeling jealouse Pakistani nation and Pakistan dont talk about amber or offline maps for pakistan i have solid idea how to get the amber updates to your lumia 920 frist of all install the nokia care suite and then copy all nokia lumia 920 variant codes and check the all variant codes in NCS Nokia care suite which frimware version is upper the current your frimware download it manually and find the path where it downloaded then just rename the your product code and close the NCS and then restart it and go to network offline mood in NFC and then recovery mood it ill be amber flashed i have experience to change the frimware you must have experience at least 1/2 years otherwise if you dont have any idea please contact with me.

First of all , pretty weird first line. Secondly, OP stated that his phone is UK variant. It not even bought in Pakistan.

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

uhhh...what the actual F... LMAO. ok that just cracked me up. Thanks for the laugh LOL!

Ganesh Venkat

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Bwahahahaha .thank you soo much for the entertainment xD

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
you should work at some tech store

Adnan Nazir

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions, i know its late but my phone is already update to the latest version.

now question is why GDR3 update releases for download?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 with Black has just started to roll out for Lumias. So any time from now to sometime in Q1 of the new year. We don't have a specific date.

Also, before you ask about WP8.1, that will be shown in April 2014 and we won't receive it until after that. How long after? I have no idea.

grandmaster1618

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
MS decided that they ll give GDR's to the OEMs who will make necessary changes to it depending upon target device and specs.. So amber = gdr 2+nokias magic. For example glance screen is a nokia trick.
GDR3 is available for devs.. Nokia is still making adjustments and testing so you don't brick your device after updating. Hope black will bring some colour to wp8.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
AT&T just started releasing GDR3 & Black to flagship devices. So as I said, it's just started. They had said it would be before the end of the year.

Did you miss the headlines?

corybucher86

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Brand new to windows phone but can someone tell me what update im on?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20131221_0001.png
    wp_ss_20131221_0001.png
    158.2 KB · Views: 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos