PSA: The Amazon $199 1020s may not be unlockable

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I was fortunate enough yesterday to order a few Lumia 1020s for $199 on Amazon - and actually receive them. I've spent the better part of this morning on the phone with ATT to no avail.

First, the majority of people who I spoke to today are complete morons. Here are some of the choice responses I've gotten:

• Amazon could have sold you a Sprint or Verizon phone
  • AT&T doesn't sell a phone called 'Nokia Lumia 1020'
  • That phone is under contract (even though it's brand new, never opened, never activated)
  • Go to the unlocking website (x10)

I'm a former customer, so I tried the website - the IMEIs simply come back as 'not available for unlocking.'

I called the international number and the lady there was somewhat more informative. Not sure how true this is, but it may be possible: effectively, resellers like Amazon buy phones for 'contract' and 'off-contract' sales - so, for instance, if Amazon bought a batch from ATT, there'd be some IMEIs marked as 'on contract' and 'off contract.' With the price discrepancy yesterday, it wouldn't surprise me if these are technically 'on-contract' phones (i.e., the phone you'd receive from Amazon had you purchased service from them).

I've seen in other threads that some people will use them on ATT, make a call to 'register' the IMEI as an active IMEI on the network and that that somehow allows it to be unlocked. I'm skeptical, but I'll try and report back (provided I can find my old ATT SIM).

If ebay codes don't pan out, I may just send them back - unless anyone's interested in some ATT locked yellow Lumia 1020s - sell 'em to ya cheap ;)

unfaix

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's not just the Amazon price glitch 1020, it's all 1020s.

I've inserted my Unlocked 1020 bought from the microsoft store in the ATT device unlocked and it said the same thing.

ALso 3rd party unlock site doesnt have an option to unlock ANY AT&T lumia devices.

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
That's actually encouraging - it may mean I just need to call ATT more like some of the other people on the forums who have managed to get them unlocked.

I also wonder if sometime in December they'll be more likely to give out codes - this phone released in late June yes? Mid December would be six months, if it's an exclusivity problem.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
That's actually encouraging - it may mean I just need to call ATT more like some of the other people on the forums who have managed to get them unlocked.

I also wonder if sometime in December they'll be more likely to give out codes - this phone released in late June yes? Mid December would be six months, if it's an exclusivity problem.

If you can't figure it out and want to get rid of it, I'll buy it for whatever price you paid for it ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786