Touch not working after Amber update (replaced digitizer)

Phillip Ankerson

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Dropped phone, cracked digitizer to the point it did not work. Purchased replacement from parts4repair.com. Replaced the digitizer and phone worked, though it wasn't perfect like before, it did work. Had to push a little harder sometimes in some places. I've read about cheaper units doing this. My part was $40 or so plus shipping, so it wasn't cheap.

Last night, I saw the update notification, so I proceeded. Now the screen doesn't respond to anything at all. Tried the hard reset, still doesn't work - it's bricked. I read somewhere (?) that if the replacement isn't a Nokia part this would happen. Does anyone know? The phone is worthless now, and I'm not spending anymore on it.

ninny1176

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The touchscreen on my 928 randomly stops working after the Amber update - no other choice but to reset the device each time it happens (once a week or so). I haven't replaced my screen/digitizer, but if your is not OEM (Nokia) then it may be possible that it isn't compatible with the update.

Phillip Ankerson

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
It's AT&T Lumia 820. I don't have the phone with me right now but I can find out more model info if needed. It powers on but touch does not respond at all. I took drastic action and did a hard reset (vol up, vol down, power, vol down) and this did reset the phone. Now when it powers up, the welcome screen is displayed, but touch doesn't respond.

So it looks like Windows/Nokia is bricking phones now...the digitizer I purchased wasn't a "cheapie". It was around $50 so one would assume it was a reliable replacement. It worked ok (not great, but ok) after the replacement, before the software update.

josh715m

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem also with an AT&T Lumia 820 that I bought 15 days ago, after update and after restart the phone, the touch doesn't respond. Already tried soft & hard reset, but it remains the same. Can't send it back for a refund because I'm not in USA anymore. Anybody got any idea? Please help :(

josh715m

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
So after trying several things, I flashed the phone to a previous Amber update and now the touch is working again, at least I can use the phone.

josh715m

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I followed this guide:
Manual para Flashear cualquier Nokia Lumia - FaqsWindowsPhone

It's in spanish but google translator helps, or this guide:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ia-lumia-eu-rom-gdr2-amber-download-link.html.

But instead of downloading the rom through this program, you will get a faster download rate from this page:
http://www.mrcrab.net/Nokia-Product-Code.html?ProductCode=059M0F3

in my case the one that did it for me was the second option:

Variant ID : 7224985975
Varian Name : RM-824 NDT AMERICA US ATT
Product Code : 059M0F3
Software Version : 1232.5962.1314.0001

Copy the downloaded files to the corresponding directory in your computer, and set the program to offline working mode, charge the rom in the program (before, rename all of the files and remove the leading serial numbers like the picture below) and follow the steps to flash your phone, let it restart and that's it.

IMG_20131112_152131.jpg

In my case my phone is RM-824 with product code: 059M0F3, so download accordingly to yours.

Keep in mind that it will destroy your warranty and it may have unexpected results which I am not liable for.
Flashing your device also wipes all data off the device.

The program I used was Nokia Care Suite 2013.13.4.4

Last edited:

josh715m

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry that it didn't work, I don't have the cellphone anymore, after I explained what happened, got a full refund. Not really sure what to do, maybe try again with a Lumia 925? In the meantime I'm using a Lumia 520. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

maker3

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
So it looks like Windows/Nokia is bricking phones now...the digitizer I purchased wasn't a "cheapie". It was around $50 so one would assume it was a reliable replacement. It worked ok (not great, but ok) after the replacement, before the software update.
Not genuine digitizer is bricking phone, not Nokia.

blastus

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Josh715M post worked for me as I have the same phone and product number.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ng-after-amber-update-replaced-digitizer.html
Variant ID : 7224985975
Varian Name : RM-824 NDT AMERICA US ATT
Product Code : 059M0F3
Software Version : 1232.5962.1314.0001
1. Download and install Nokia Care Suite (Don't launch Care Suite until step 2 is complete)
2. Extract usergroupsconfiguration.cfg to C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0 or C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0 for 64-bit (Be sure to overwrite)
Get Lates Nokia Firmwares From Product Code 059M0F3. Select all the files for variant ID 224985975 on this page.
Get Lates Nokia Firmwares From Product Code 059M0F3
3. Put the files in this folder. (C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products (you have to then place the firmware in the folder of your variant code, ie RM-824) – Note: this is a hidden folder so you’ll have to unhide it in windows explorer. You may want to place all the files except “usergroupsconfiguration.cfg” already in the folder to a new folder named RM-824backup as they may cause the fix to fail.
4. Open Nokia Care Suite
5. Double click Product Support Tool
6. Choose Care Suite External

EXTRA IMPORTANT STEP: Choose Work Offline on the bottom right of the window.

7. In Product Support Tool choose File > Open Product

8. In the filter box type RM-824 (Image below is similar)
p1.jpg

IMPORTANT EXTRA STEP: IN THE BOTTOM LEFT SELECT PROGRAMMING >
I tried this first.
RECOVERY
p2.jpg

9. Your firmware should then appear in the box below if you put it in the correct folder on your PC.
10. Bite the bullet, hit START!
11. Once you hit start it will bring up the recovery screen saying it has lost connectivity, this is normal.
12. Turn your mobile off.
13. Once off, plug your mobile into your PC and hold the DOWN VOLUME key - because it was plugged into your PC it should power on automatically into the "RECOVERY" mode.
14. Hit retry in the recovery screen.

It should then start flashing your device. Mine Failed.
15. So I tried using the “Multi software updater 5.0” in the Nokia Care Suite inputting the information requested and clicking the little arrow at the top of the page. The firmware began to flash. It could be seen on the phone status bar.
16. After the flash completes disconnect the phone and do a soft reboot by holding the power button and the sound down key. Wait for the restart. The touch screen should now work. Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)