Looking for some answers, opinions, thoughts

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello! I'm a long-time viewer, first time poster, so excuse me if I'm in the wrong forum or anything, but I have some thoughts that I'd like opinions on.

Both of my parents have Lumia 928's and the phones are great. I like them a lot. Although the camera has this odd fuzz/blur in many photos. It's just not crisp like me 2+ year old iPhone 4S. That's a bit concerning. I've messed with ISO, exposure, etc. but sometimes the photos just can't help but be a tad bit blurry. The 928 is also not great as an actual phone. My parents have horrible call quality.

My contract on Verizon ran out a month ago so I have the option to upgrade, and if you're a Verizon customer like me, you know you don't really have many options (especially if you like colorful phones).

I was going to get a 928 like my parents, but it just doesn't feel like it can keep up with upcoming Lumias. I'm extremely picky about the camera. I have an iPhone 4S from 2011, and its camera still holds up really well in terms of taking sharp, crisp photos. It doesn't have the customization options that Nokia phones have. I think Nokia has super camera options, but I worry about that blur or fuzziness to photos.

I only have the 928 to compare since it's right here in my house, but are all Lumias like that? I see some great photos on the Internet, but I can't tell what the conditions were and how comparable the scenarios can be.

The 929 looks great in terms of specs, but megapixels aren't everything. 20 MP will be nice, but it doesn't automatically guarantee a great camera.

I LOVE the 1020, but as a Verizon customer, my hopes and dreams have been squashed from day 1.

So here's my questions and I'd love to get all of your thoughts on it.

-Do I get the 929, knowing I'll need to resist whatever comes out in 6 months?

-Do I ditch Verizon for AT&T and get the 1020 that I love so much, but live with less coverage?

-Do I hold out 6 months (or so) for whatever comes to Verizon next?

I'm really interested in opinions on this. It's a tough call for me. I'm a huge tech enthusiast, and settling for anything less than the best is really difficult, but I hear such conflicting opinions on everything. It's hard to know what to believe from friends and general consensus on the Internet because everyone's response is to go with an iPhone or Nexus or Samsung, etc. but I truly love the Windows Phone platform. It also bothers me that carrier exclusivity is making this more difficult than it needs to be. The 1020 is what I really want. It's got THE best camera, the design is bold, colorful, and iconic, and it's got great specs. But every Verizon Lumia phone seems to get everything that makes Nokia great taken out of it. It's infuriating. What would you guys do in this position? And reasons to back up answers would be much appreciated. Thanks guys. Sorry for the long-winded post.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Have them wipe down the lens before they shoot. Just a shirt will do. If you don't you'll see a blurry shot every time.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have excellent results with my 928.

You never pic a phone over the carrier. Always choose the carrier with the best coverage and then go with a phone from said carrier.

You can't play the waiting game for 6 months. If you do, there will be the next best phone to come out in another 6 months. You will end up in a never-ending cycle of waiting for a phone. If a new phone is a couple weeks out from being released, that's ok. No more than two months.

zekerrific

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
The problem with waiting 6 months to see what comes next is that it will also put you behind 6 months in two years when you are finally due for another upgrade.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I just swapped out my 4s for a 928, and the picture quality on the 928 is way better than the 4s. The 929 will be even better than the 928

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. I guess I will tinker with my parents' 928s a little more. I just can't seem to get the same quality results. The 928 photos are definitely more yellow on the phone, until they are uploaded to the computer, then they are slightly closer in color. And the options and flexibility for changing the look and adjusting to light, etc. in a picture is great, which obviously the iPhone 4S can't do by default. But I still find myself getting really good photos on my iPhone compared to 928 in normal light. The 928 does better in low light, but seems hurt by light in normal conditions unless the settings are specifically tweaked for it, which aren't great for quick photos I want to take. Auto doesn't seem to do the trick. I hope the 929 is better than the 928. Or maybe I've just been spoiled with the iPhone having better auto settings? I don't know. But for a phone 2 years older, it sure holds up well against the 928. But the 929 is 6 months newer than the 928, so I'm hopeful. If it's anything close to what the 1020 results are (minus zoom, etc. that the 1020 has thanks to the bump and xenon flash), then it will be a winner for me.

I agree with the point that if I keep waiting, I'll always be behind. But to me, the ideal time to get a phone is late summer/early fall, when the 1020 came out. But 6 months from now, I can't help but think there will be a better phone on Verizon and I'll be kicking myself for not being more patient. But of course 6 months more with this iPhone 4S on ridiculous iOS7 will make me suicidal.

I just wish the 929 wasn't so dull. I love Nokia for colorful, bold designs. The 929 is so dulled down that it could pass as any phone. It doesnt' scream Nokia just by looking at it (besides the fact that it's running Windows Phone). That bothers me so much. I work in design and technology, and those two things go hand in hand for me. I can't stand owning an ugly phone and settling.

I guess I can't write the 929 off just yet since it hasn't even been officially announced. But the leaked video just looked ugly. 1. Verizon's carrier branding is obnoxious and pathetic. 2. It's black and white. I would die for cyan, or even yellow. The 1020 makes me a believer in yellow. But this phone is so rounded and boring. I hope the specs are out of this world and scream incredible performance and camera.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple's tend to make their own pictures look amazing on i-devices until they are viewed from a different hardware (computer or phone or tablet that's non-apple). Technically it wouldn't make sense that any of the Lumia 92x devices would take worse photo, because 1) the hardware for the series are light years ahead and 2) software support is also pretty industy-leading. Plus tons of tech blogs and camera sites have tested those cameras in comparison to other smartphones and it has proven itself worthy. Do your parents have gdr2 with Amber update? Are you using Nokia Camera? Did you wipe the lens clean? Also, regarding coloring issues that you pointed out, another possible explanation is that because you are quite used to the coloration of iphones, you feel that photo from most other devices are always "off". sort of like when you change from your own monitor to someone else's.

In any case, the 929 should be an excellent phone along with improved camera. Hardware-wise it's probably one of the top in the market, and have more than enough apps (including pretty much all main stream ones) that your parents would need. Although if iphone is really your personal choice then go with an iphone and save yourself some trouble justifying your decision afterwards. =)

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
My parents both have GDR2 with Amber update. The lens is wiped clean. My dad uses Nokia Camera. My mom doesn't care about camera apps, she just wants the default one to work well. For her, the only problem besides fuzzy photos is the need to keep adjusting camera settings to get good pictures in different conditions, instead of just snapping a picture default and turning out well enough.

The coloration on the 928 is certainly more yellow than most phones. It's not my eyes. It's a noticeable difference. But that's when viewing on the phone. Like I said, when I put the photos on my computer, they are normal colored. The camera doesn't take yellow photos, the screen is just more yellow, which I believe Nokia added a setting to adjust the screen warmth so that won't be a huge problem, but by default it's yellow-y.

I'm excited for the 929. It will definitely be better in specs than what I have. I don't question that. I just wish the phone wasn't stripped of everything that makes it iconic on the outside. It just looks like a really bulky phone. I don't mind the bulk if it's looks great. But when it's just a rounded rectangle slab covered in Verizon branding, it's a bummer.

I even like the 928 design better. At least it had some slight angles and the chrome strip on the back. The 929 doesn't even have that. So the camera specs better be a powerhouse, or I'm going to be pretty bummed about the phone design. I work in design, so looks are important to me. If I'm going to be staring at this all day, every day, for the next 2 years, I at least want something pleasing to the eye.

I'm definitely not getting an iPhone again. I've slowly left the Apple ecosystem over the years and I'm finally ready to sever ties completely. My iPhone is the last Apple product I own. I'm just fed up with Apple as a company. That's off topic, though.

But basically, I'm looking for something that I will enjoy for 2 years. The 929 (spec-wise) has my interest, I just wish it were more comparable to the 1020 camera and design. But if AT&T sucks, then I guess I'll settle for the 929. I just hope the camera is great. The phone doesn't look any thinner than the 928. If anything, maybe thicker. So that better mean more battery and better camera.

One concern I have is that I feel like the 920, 925, and 928 are rehashing the same phone to keep costs cheap to manufacture to increase margins. That's totally fine to increase margins. But the 925 and 928 were not released at the same time as the 920, so I expect something better, but it never seemed to leap forward. Everything has always been super similar. For the 929, a phone ~1 year older than the 920, I expect something a year better, not just slightly different.

I'm confused as to why the 929 won't get xenon flash. It's a step down from the 928 in that regard. See what I mean? Why does every 92x release have to trade specs, instead of improve upon them? I'd like a phone slim like the 925, xenon flash like the 928, looks of 920/1020, etc. but it just seems like Nokia is swapping parts to give each phone a different perk.

I love Nokia. I do. This is tough love. Am I way off in my thinking? Or just expecting too much after owning an iPhone that takes great photos and is super slim and sleek (on the outside, let's no talk about the abomination of iOS 7)?

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
My parents both have GDR2 with Amber update. The lens is wiped clean. My dad uses Nokia Camera. My mom doesn't care about camera apps, she just wants the default one to work well. For her, the only problem besides fuzzy photos is the need to keep adjusting camera settings to get good pictures in different conditions, instead of just snapping a picture default and turning out well enough.

The coloration on the 928 is certainly more yellow than most phones. It's not my eyes. It's a noticeable difference. But that's when viewing on the phone. Like I said, when I put the photos on my computer, they are normal colored. The camera doesn't take yellow photos, the screen is just more yellow, which I believe Nokia added a setting to adjust the screen warmth so that won't be a huge problem, but by default it's yellow-y.

I'm excited for the 929. It will definitely be better in specs than what I have. I don't question that. I just wish the phone wasn't stripped of everything that makes it iconic on the outside. It just looks like a really bulky phone. I don't mind the bulk if it's looks great. But when it's just a rounded rectangle slab covered in Verizon branding, it's a bummer.

I even like the 928 design better. At least it had some slight angles and the chrome strip on the back. The 929 doesn't even have that. So the camera specs better be a powerhouse, or I'm going to be pretty bummed about the phone design. I work in design, so looks are important to me. If I'm going to be staring at this all day, every day, for the next 2 years, I at least want something pleasing to the eye.

I'm definitely not getting an iPhone again. I've slowly left the Apple ecosystem over the years and I'm finally ready to sever ties completely. My iPhone is the last Apple product I own. I'm just fed up with Apple as a company. That's off topic, though.

But basically, I'm looking for something that I will enjoy for 2 years. The 929 (spec-wise) has my interest, I just wish it were more comparable to the 1020 camera and design. But if AT&T sucks, then I guess I'll settle for the 929. I just hope the camera is great. The phone doesn't look any thinner than the 928. If anything, maybe thicker. So that better mean more battery and better camera.

One concern I have is that I feel like the 920, 925, and 928 are rehashing the same phone to keep costs cheap to manufacture to increase margins. That's totally fine to increase margins. But the 925 and 928 were not released at the same time as the 920, so I expect something better, but it never seemed to leap forward. Everything has always been super similar. For the 929, a phone ~1 year older than the 920, I expect something a year better, not just slightly different.

I'm confused as to why the 929 won't get xenon flash. It's a step down from the 928 in that regard. See what I mean? Why does every 92x release have to trade specs, instead of improve upon them? I'd like a phone slim like the 925, xenon flash like the 928, looks of 920/1020, etc. but it just seems like Nokia is swapping parts to give each phone a different perk.

I love Nokia. I do. This is tough love. Am I way off in my thinking? Or just expecting too much after owning an iPhone that takes great photos and is super slim and sleek (on the outside, let's no talk about the abomination of iOS 7)?

I think it has to do with contracts and carrier exclusives. I am sure Nokia has contracts with the carriers and maybe there is something in there saying that a certain carrier is to get the device with no compromise and the others when getting a rehashed, renamed version of that phone have to lose out on something? That is just my guess but I am with you in wishing they could put a no compromise device on all of the carriers, and not leave out parts that make it seem just a little behind or lacking compared to the similar device on another carrier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers