About 1520 & Att: My experience

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I went to Att with my mom saturday so she could get a new phone(she is tired of paying nearly 100 dollars with VZW and can save a little more with Att)....

I tried pushing her to windows phone but unfortunately the poor soul prefers to stick with Android and has the LG G2 now.....Old Age is messing with her brain JK :p

Anyway I saw the 1520 and Oh...My...God. It was big...bigger than the pictures made it seem like. The largest phone I've ever owned was a Droid Dna at 5 inches. I have been using the Lumia 920, 1020 and 928 all year long so I am used to my screen size and i put my 1020 by it and it made my phone feel so impish lol.

Unfortunately, the rep was doing a factory reset so i wasn't able to get the full experience of playing around with it.

I also saw the Galaxy Mega phone...my god, that phone is huge. My mom was like "Is that a tablet?" and i was like "Nope. It's a galaxy phone."

But what amazed me was not the phone itself(that was great)...But Att. I was actually pleased that the rep was actually really happy about it and excited and was saying how it is the biggest Windows Phone to date and he was saying nothing but praise for it and that was just a pleasant thing to hear. It's like when a parent has a kid who is super bad at home and it always shocks you sort of when someone tells you how great your kid seems to them...It's a pleasant surprise :p

I was chatting it up with him about the phone and I was just happy to experience a pleasant experience.

Now i do want the 1520 but one thing that is bugging me about the phone is windows phone.....I find myself still sort of missing a few apps I'd like to have as well as I feel as core features are either half-baked or still missing from Windows phone that are in Android and IOS...and even blackberry.

(I am the only one who can't BBM with my friends lol)

I played with my mom's LG G2 all night last night and caught up on Subway surfers but i can pretty much say that I can not stand Android...It barely has any apps on it and the phone just feels still slightly laggy and what not...and this is a top of the line android phone.

In all honesty, I think Windows Phones and i are married for the long haul but i find myself growing tired of the same old same old...and waiting to see if this will happen and it doesn't happen.

If iphone had a 4.5 or bigger screen, I could see myself jumping over to IOS 7 as i love the new iphone(the 5C anyway) but i can't deal with that small screen.

But I know i will be getting me a 1520 and perhaps that will rejuvenate my love for the OS entirely instead of me loving it...in spite of :p

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Now i do want the 1520 but one thing that is bugging me about the phone is windows phone.....I find myself still sort of missing a few apps I'd like to have as well as I feel as core features are either half-baked or still missing from Windows phone that are in Android and IOS...and even blackberry.
<snip>
I played with my mom's LG G2 all night last night and caught up on Subway surfers but i can pretty much say that I can not stand Android...It barely has any apps on it and the phone just feels still slightly laggy and what not...and this is a top of the line android phone.
<snip>
If iphone had a 4.5 or bigger screen, I could see myself jumping over to IOS 7 as i love the new iphone(the 5C anyway) but i can't deal with that small screen.

Ha ha well it sounds like you're pretty much screwed!

WP = lack of apps & core features
Android = laggy
iPhone = screen too small

It sounds like your only option is BlackBerry!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I actually do like the way the Blackberry OS looks.

It reminds me of android only much better to look at it and it doesn't seem so hectic and out of place like a lot of android phones do.

I really dislike their cameras on Blackberry. I am a Brown Skin Black/Dominican male but my friend's Z10 made me look like I was wearing black face....lol was not feeling that all.

But their app quality is even worse than Windows Phone.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Windows Phone and I enjoy my tiles so much but sometime it does aggravate me with certain small features our OS still lacks....

I have no doubt in my mind that I can safely say I will never use an Android phone again as my personal device unless Android has a radical change(like Windows 8 type of change) of the OS to the point where it is visually appealing.

I love the 1520's look and feel from the brief time I held it and I am mostly content with 1520...but the only OS I think that could pull me away from Windows Phone entirely would be IOS with a bigger screen, since IOS 7 actually looks like Windows 8/phone 8 minus the tiles<3
Ha ha well it sounds like you're pretty much screwed!

WP = lack of apps & core features
Android = laggy
iPhone = screen too small

It sounds like your only option is BlackBerry!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
All my friends are using bbm and I find it ridiculous

I just hate being left out of the convos :p though they told me to download an app called LINE and we can use that to communicate.
But I briefly played with BBM on my Mom's android phone and I can see why people like it. It is a pretty decent app.

Cactoes Gel

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I actually do like the way the Blackberry OS looks.

It reminds me of android only much better to look at it and it doesn't seem so hectic and out of place like a lot of android phones do.

I really dislike their cameras on Blackberry. I am a Brown Skin Black/Dominican male but my friend's Z10 made me look like I was wearing black face....lol was not feeling that all.

But their app quality is even worse than Windows Phone.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Windows Phone and I enjoy my tiles so much but sometime it does aggravate me with certain small features our OS still lacks....

I have no doubt in my mind that I can safely say I will never use an Android phone again as my personal device unless Android has a radical change(like Windows 8 type of change) of the OS to the point where it is visually appealing.

I love the 1520's look and feel from the brief time I held it and I am mostly content with 1520...but the only OS I think that could pull me away from Windows Phone entirely would be IOS with a bigger screen, since IOS 7 actually looks like Windows 8/phone 8 minus the tiles<3

My first ever smartphone was a Samsung Vibrant. Today, I carry three phones. I got an iPhone 5 with T-mobile when it first came out so I could Facetime with my boys. My work phone is a GS3 with Verizon, and tomorrow I'm hoping to replace my Note with a 1520 (my first Windows phone) with AT&T. That being said, after about 6 months or so with the iPhone, I find myself bored with it and using my GS3 a little more.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Supposedly a larger iPhone (with curved screen) is in the works.

MS better step it up or a bigger iPhone may take away some users.
The bigger iphone will be a huge hit and definitely WILL take a bunch of users away from all platforms. It will eliminate the "Oh it's too small" complaint while they will still have a smaller flagship phone also.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Supposedly a larger iPhone (with curved screen) is in the works.

MS better step it up or a bigger iPhone may take away some users.

I read this a few days ago. I think they are exploring 4.7" and 5.5" sizes. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
For now though my tiles are a differentiation between my android friends and IOS and I like being different and I think the 1520 will definitely rejuvenate my love for windows phone 8 as I still love this os but I find myself frustrated and aggravated sometimes.

That said if after blue comes out next year and the actual OS does not improve, I can probably say the1520 would be my last windows phone that I ow , so if that is the case I may as well go out with a HUGE bang :p

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
For now though my tiles are a differentiation between my android friends and IOS and I like being different and I think the 1520 will definitely rejuvenate my love for windows phone 8 as I still love this os but I find myself frustrated and aggravated sometimes.

That said if after blue comes out next year and the actual OS does not improve, I can probably say the1520 would be my last windows phone that I ow , so if that is the case I may as well go out with a HUGE bang :p

LOL to the huge bang.

I've got hopes for 8.1. I'm in software myself so I know the challenges in the updates. But MS should be able to focus on at least bringing core features up to par if not surpass the competition. For one, live tiles are nice but not a total substitute for notifications.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I read this a few days ago. I think they are exploring 4.7" and 5.5" sizes. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with

It's way too early to have any reliable info on what the next iPhone(s) will be like. I for one don't get the talk of curved phones (for any ecosystem).

jayweh32

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
So I guess I will post my short experience with the Lumia 1520 here.

I went to the store yesterday as I wanted to check this out before the pre-order. I found the phone to actually not be too big in size and with it being so thin it did feel lighter than my 920.
I consider myself an amateur photography so camera is a big deal to me. I feel the 1520 has a lot better shooter than my 920 but far lacks that of the 1020 during my short tests. The 1020 had a yellowish hue to the pictures before even being snapped until I changed the WB manually where as the 1520 didn't experience this. Sorry don't have much time to post more but I did spend about an hour with it so if you have questions I can try my best to answer

Now on to my actual experience:
First thing I noticed when I walked over to the 1520 was the big advertisement right above the phone which had the new Lumia 520 note on it, but the advertisement was clearly for the 1520. I should have taken a picture of this as I thought this was extremely odd. I would hate for some people to come into the store test the Lumia 1520 out to think it is the 520 and go out to buy it online for a lot cheaper. Next the ATT guy was extremely nice but not as excited for the Windows platform. Kept trying to push me towards purchasing other items, really pushing Samsung which I am not a huge fan of and also wanted me to get a hotspot when I can tether my phone already his reasoning was that it kills the battery life too fast on phones. Ill just keep tethering.

On to the biggest surprise of all. The guy states that they are scheduled to have the 1520 in stock this Friday the 15th. I had him confirm three different times with three different managers as the store is about a 45 minute drive to get there. The guy that was assisting me stated that he would be there Friday and told me to call him. I'm guessing they have this all wrong and it wont be there until the next Friday but we will see and I will definitely be giving this guy a call to hold him up on what he promised.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea