[Real Users] My Lumia 1520 Review

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Just tried out the Lumia 1520. I stopped wanting it after one glance.

Some people just have tiny hands. This phone is not for them.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I love these WPC diatribes! lol My opinion is ultra important! Read 7 paragraphs please. LMAO

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Now THIS is a hands on preview. Thanks for the very few or non existent grammatical errors and insightful view on your experience with the 1520. I'm going to get it as I use my phones nowadays less as a phone and more as a mini PC. I have a fairly large hand and adapt well to new things I never thought I could. So it should be a fun anf delightful challenge to adapt to this extraordinarily large phone. We shall see!

quek9

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I am a grown man with grown man hands, the 1520 will fit me nicely. However, my petite wife is looking forward to her new 1520 too, go figure. I guess most normal people aren't intimidated by a phone, lol.

omegafiler

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I think it's safe to say that if you're perfectly happy with a 4.5" screen, the phablet category is clearly not marketed towards you. :) I completely understand where you're coming from though. These are the same comments folks had back when the 5" phones started showing up, which were clearly pointless given that the fruit products were selling great with 3.5" screens. Why bother big larger screen phones? Now, that's pretty much considered the norm these days, with even larger phones selling like crazy around the globe.

They're trying something out of their comfort zone, which I think is both long over due, and awesome. As somebody who has used and lived with phones from 3.5" to 6.5", I love these big phones and find anything under 5" virtually unusable. In my hands, 6" is big, yet somehow perfect. I just hope enough folks show interest to encourage future large phones from WP manufactures. Otherwise, I fear WP will get left behind while Android (and eventually Apple) move forward with the latest tech trends and advancements.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I wasn't sure if he was in an AT&T store or he stumbled in on an Urban All Male Review.

Infarction, in the future be careful about cross posting with the Penthouse Letters forums.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

Nokia has lost its mind yet again with another strange product.
It was imposingly large and black when I first saw it. just massive. .

Just wondering what the other Nokia strange products are?
You were aware it is a six inch phone or did this come as a suprise ?
Everything said about the size is already known. How could this be new information?

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Maybe if you get the white one it'll be smaller. *snicker*

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site

I think saying the phone's software should be better optimized to take advantage of a larger screen is a valid point. Saying the phone is too big or too small is personal preference. The iPhone screen is too small for my taste, it is a deal breaker, and I would much rather have a Sony Xperia Z Ultra but I recognize that other people might feel differently. If you think the 1520 is "just massive" you should check out the Sony.

Nokia-Lumia-1520-vs-Sony-Xperia-Z-Ultra.jpg

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

I went and played with the L1520 this past Friday at my local store. Here are my thoughts.

Size: It is a big phone. Having used the original Note and the LG Optimus G Pro(which is an amazing phone btw), I was surprised at how jarringly big it seemed when I first picked it up. After handling it for about 30 minutes however, as well as comparing it to the Note 3 and the Mega, that faded. I believe the surprise was because I was used to the size of my L920 and hadn't used a larger phone for some time. Had to use both hands for typing, camera, etc., but anyone getting a device this large probably anticipates this.

Feel: From the onset it felt better to me in hand than the L920. No sharp edges that the OP said he experienced and the buttons felt less obtrusive than my L920. For some reason it actually felt lighter to me than my L920 even though I know that's impossible. The matte body felt great but seems just as slippery to me as the L920.

Screen: All I can say is DAMN! It's a beauty! I always thought the Optimus G Pro had the best screen of any smartphone out right now, but in my opinion the L1520 wins out. It's almost hard to believe that it's not an AMOLED screen as the blacks are great and colors really pop. Viewed some web pages and watched a couple videos and it was amazing. The extra tiles are nice.

Camera: I only took about 20 shots on it, but from what I took they look outstanding.

Speed: Overall, everything just seemed a tiny bit faster. I tried to open up apps on the L1520 and L920 at the same time and results were negligible.

I definitely will be being getting one I just haven't decided whether to wait for the 32GB version or not. I think it will be a great device for media consumption.

As to the OP questioning the release of this niche device. The same was said for the original Note when it came out. These aren't for everyone but there is a market. I think Nokia is trying to cover all their bases and this competes with the Xperia Z Ultra, the Mega, and the Note 3. Some people want a stylus and some could care less about it.

I sure a refresh of the L920/925/928 is coming. People tend to forget that the L920 hasn't been out a year yet and the L1020 even less.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

if 4.5" is your limit I don't know why you were even considering the 1520 in the first place
Saying that it is too big to compete with the note 3 is just asinine
0.3" is negligible

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

If 4.5 is the largest you will go in a phone then why were you looking at it, and now complaining, in the first place? You do realize you are essentially complaining about being disappointed they released the device they said they were releasing? Were you expecting it would have a dimensional manipulator so that it would be smaller when you picked it up? Sorry but Doctor Who really is just science fiction....

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

I recently went to the Microsoft Store near me, and I tried out the 1520. I got the complete opposite reaction! At first I thought it would be too big, since I don't have the largest hands, but I was actually using it with one hand, and the flip cover was on it. The keyboard was huge, and so much better than the size of the keyboard on the 521. The camera actually seemed to focus a little better than the Lumia 1020 next to it, but I assume that is from the new camera app that wasn't installed and Nokia Black. The display was amazing, and it was pretty speedy, although it was about the same as the 1020. Once the 1520 comes to T-Mobile, and if it does, I am definitely going to pick it up.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Maybe if you get the white one it'll be smaller. *snicker*

I also heard yellow can distort size as well...either way, I plan to swing by an AT&T sotre after work to check it out...

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site

As much as I love this phone, having spent time with it in the store, I do agree with questioning its positioning in the market. Without strong pen support, the 1520 seems more like a high end competitor to the Mega. This is something I think the 1320 would be better suited for. Frankly, that's really what is holding me back (along w/ the wireless charging issue). I'd love to go down to a laptop and a phablet, phasing out my Surface, but I think I'd just miss a few things.