New Member--Pre-oordered on the 8th..Questions

Shockwave78

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Long story short...I have been dying to give a good try/switch to Windows phone for a couple years now. Sadly Verizon had nothing that was worthy of getting IMO compared to the iphones. Anyway, i switched back to AT&T after a couple years with Verizon, one of the main reasons was for the amount of phones to choose from..Picked up the 5s a few weeks ago and now I pre-ordered the 1520(i do try out 4-5 phones per year trying to switch away from iOS lol)

Anyway...I have a few questions regarding WP8 in general...I could have sworn i posted a thread on this already this morning or yesterday but it doesn't show in my past post from my account so i guess i never hit the submit button, if i did my bad.

1. Notifications.. Say if there is a breaking news notification, or sports or whatever. Does it display on the lock screen at all? What should i expect in this regard? I did try out the 1520 in the MS store a few days after i pre-ordered it. It was much better than i thought it would. Felt much smaller in hand than i thought, looked smaller than i thought..ect

2. Is there a Jailbreaking/Rooting type community? If so, worth it?

3. What version of WP8 will it ship with? Everything i seem to read about WP8 is about gdr3. These are beta's right? (no problem with that here)

4. Gmail...are push notifications possible?

5. Is visual voice mail built into WP8? I thought i read somewhere it was, or maybe this was a specific model.

I'm sure i'll have more questions...

*EDIT*

6. Folders...I don't believe they exist, any word on them?

Thanks!

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
1. Notifications.. Say if there is a breaking news notification, or sports or whatever. Does it display on the lock screen at all?
If the developer of the news/sports app set it up, they can send the phone a "toast" notification. These do not appear on the lock screen. They can also push a "tile" notification with a count (like "1" for one new story). The lock screen can show the icon and counts for up to 5 apps.

No, WP8 is pretty well locked down.

3. What version of WP8 will it ship with? Everything i seem to read about WP8 is about gdr3. These are beta's right? (no problem with that here)
I believe that the 1520 is shipping with Nokia Black, which is a combination of Microsoft's GDR3 and some custom Nokia software. GDR3 is a developer preview, but is supposedly in final/near-final form.

If you mean push email, yes. If you mean something else, explain the term "notifications" in the content.

5. Is visual voice mail built into WP8? I thought i read somewhere it was, or maybe this was a specific model.
Yes, but you need the feature turned on in your AT&T account.

App/icon folders do not exist. If you meant folders in a file system sort of way, don't. A WP should not be thought of as a storage device with a phone -- it does not expose its space that way and gives each installed app its own isolated storage, meaning that apps can't see each other's files. (This is great for security and bad for apps sharing data.)

Shockwave78

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Another question..

I forgot to try this out in store last weeked, or maybe i did and didn't realize it.

When you are on your main home screen, i know you can scroll down to see more apps, but can you scroll up to bring the apps that are near the taskbar/clock down to the bottom of the screen? If not i think this would be a HUGE feature to add. No more reaching to the top of your phone with the thumb, instead swipe to get them down near the bottom of the screen.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Long story short...I have been dying to give a good try/switch to Windows phone for a couple years now. Sadly Verizon had nothing that was worthy of getting IMO compared to the iphones. Anyway, i switched back to AT&T after a couple years with Verizon, one of the main reasons was for the amount of phones to choose from..Picked up the 5s a few weeks ago and now I pre-ordered the 1520(i do try out 4-5 phones per year trying to switch away from iOS lol)

Anyway...I have a few questions regarding WP8 in general...I could have sworn i posted a thread on this already this morning or yesterday but it doesn't show in my past post from my account so i guess i never hit the submit button, if i did my bad.

1. Notifications.. Say if there is a breaking news notification, or sports or whatever. Does it display on the lock screen at all? What should i expect in this regard? I did try out the 1520 in the MS store a few days after i pre-ordered it. It was much better than i thought it would. Felt much smaller in hand than i thought, looked smaller than i thought..ect

I'm sure i'll have more questions...

*EDIT*

Thanks!

Most of your questions have been answered above, but I just want to expand on a couple.

3. The Nokia Lumia 1520 is the first phone to be released with the final version of GDR3 along with Nokia's Black firmware. All the other phones with GDR3 are running the developer preview without Black.

5. I didn't have to do anything special to activate visual voicemail. It's built right in. I assume if you change from an iphone, it'll automatically be enabled in your account.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure but I think that EAS SUPPORT for Gmail has ended or ending soon.

I am not sure if CalDAV is supported yet on Windows Phone

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Another question..

I forgot to try this out in store last weeked, or maybe i did and didn't realize it.

When you are on your main home screen, i know you can scroll down to see more apps, but can you scroll up to bring the apps that are near the taskbar/clock down to the bottom of the screen? If not i think this would be a HUGE feature to add. No more reaching to the top of your phone with the thumb, instead swipe to get them down near the bottom of the screen.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The homescreen is just like a list. You scroll down to see more apps below. You scroll back up to see the apps near the top.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

EAS / Push for Gmail was extended till December 31st. After that, you'll use CalDAV, which is Google's official method for pulling email. Same as used on the iphone for Gmail. Unfortunately I believe it has like a 30 minute pull time? Haven't used an iphone recently, so not sure about that

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

1. Yes. But a developer will have to enable lock screen support on their app and you are only allowed 1 lock screen app to take control of the lock screen at a time. You are still allowed 5 apps that show numerical notifications along with their icon at the bottom of the screen.

2. WP8 has been "JailBroken" a little, but this was only for the Samsung model. The model you are getting has not been "Jailbroken". Wouldn't put to much stock in jailbreaking.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

Or you could do the smart thing and sign up for an outlook.com email then have your Gmail forwarded to it until you can get yourself off of Google completely

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo