How do I delete "other" storage?

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Here's something that should work.

Go to settings>internet explorer.
From there, delete history. If you browse a lot, this should clear up a lot of data. Also, uninstall some apps. App data is included in "other".

okay beside the delete history( which I already do since this bug) I would love to know which app is taking so much other? I would delete it! But it wont tell me nor on phone storage or any where...... My biggest gripe!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
well what im hoping is that someone can explain what's Wrong!

No one here is going to be able to explain what's wrong in your case. Not only does no one here work for Microsoft or Nokia, but no one here has your phone in front of them. Also, no one here watched what you've done with your phone since you've had it, to see any sort of usage pattern or glitch which may have caused the issue.

And if I do reset who's to say that will fix anything?

Everyone here who has had a problem with "other" and done a reset to fix it, that's who. Many, many people have done that. Many, many people have recommended it as your solution. YOU are choosing to not do it, but then you keep polluting every "other" thread with your unique issue, unwilling to do what it takes to fix it.

Obviously your case is unique. Obviously something bad happened. Stuff like that happens all over the place with computers and technology. Obviously the fix is a reset. Do that, or toil away in silence; you have your solution, if you choose to not do it, that's on you.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
okay beside the delete history( which I already do since this bug) I would love to know which app is taking so much other? I would delete it! But it wont tell me nor on phone storage or any where...... My biggest gripe!
Settings>Storage Check>Apps.

If you don't know about that, go try.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
No one here is going to be able to explain what's wrong in your case. Not only does no one here work for Microsoft or Nokia, but no one here has your phone in front of them. Also, no one here watched what you've done with your phone since you've had it, to see any sort of usage pattern or glitch which may have caused the issue.

Everyone here who has had a problem with "other" and done a reset to fix it, that's who. Many, many people have done that. Many, many people have recommended it as your solution. YOU are choosing to not do it, but then you keep polluting every "other" thread with your unique issue, unwilling to do what it takes to fix it.

Obviously your case is unique. Obviously something bad happened. Stuff like that happens all over the place with computers and technology. Obviously the fix is a reset. Do that, or toil away in silence; you have your solution, if you choose to not do it, that's on you.
While I'd like him to pull off a hard reset, or update his phone to GDR3, he refuses to do so.

The least we could do is provide alternative solutions to his problem.

Besides, I've been in this situation a lot of times before. A hard reset - no matter how immense the impact - is still temporary.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

doing a factory reset and bricking my phone is a good Idea? That's all I keep hearing about this hard reset along with loosing all data, why would I want to do this? I feel if I do a reset and brick my phone and lose everything i would really regret even complaining about it!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
While I'd like him to pull off a hard reset, or update his phone to GDR3, he refuses to do so.

Besides, I've been in this situation a lot of times before. A hard reset - no matter how immense the impact - is still temporary.
im on gdr3 and yes this hard reset would have an immense impact.. On me at least. Too much on theses endless spinning cog wheels on 920s trying to hard reset.with my luck ... Mine will brick too....

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Go read his other threads; his problem isn't that he has tons of storage used by "other", it's that "storage check" shows 10gb of other that doesn't show up in "phone storage". "Phone storage" shows 10 fewer used GBs than does "storage check". (Or vice-versa, I'm going off of memory here.) Obviously, something has gone horribly wrong; were something like this happening on desktop Windows which could not be otherwise fixed, most people would recommend re-formatting the HDD and reinstalling Windows or some other equally draconian method.

There is no alternate solution to his problem available to anyone who isn't a Microsoft of Nokia employee.

Really? You've had a phantom 10gb show up in "other" in one app but not the other? Again, we're not talking about the far more commonplace high "other" usage, here.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never heard of a phone bricking from a factory reset.

I've heard of it, but it's definitely the exception and not the rule. I factory reset my 820 a number of times with no problems. I've factory reset my current 920 twice: the first time took a long time and I thought it was bricked, but I did a volume-down+power reset and after a while it was fine. The second time was just a couple of days ago on GDR3 and the entire process took less than 10 minutes.

It can happen, but again, it's not the norm.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I've heard of it, but it's definitely the exception and not the rule. I factory reset my 820 a number of times with no problems. I've factory reset my current 920 twice: the first time took a long time and I thought it was bricked, but I did a volume-down+power reset and after a while it was fine. The second time was just a couple of days ago on GDR3 and the entire process took less than 10 minutes.

It can happen, but again, it's not the norm.
what will I lose?

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm sitting on 10 GB of other and I've tried everything anyone can imagine from a to z;

I see that you have posted this in the wrong place. AFAIK the Lumia 720 has 8 GB of internal memory. 7.2 GB out of which is the actual value and 1.9 GB of that is dedicated to the OS itself.
The "Other Storage" has plagued me once, 1.6 GB. But the solution that I had suggested cleared some 700 MB for me. However, I did go ahead with a hard reset last week for no particular reason. Contacts, messaging and multimedia items are always backed up. So no issues with that. As far as games go, I started playing them over again. Equally fun still.

I'll try to break down how the other storage increases. I'm assuming you don't have a Lumia 720. You probably have a 16 or 32 GB device. Here goes:

1) Pics and videos taken are automatically backed up to the sky drive. The data is stored in the other storage area when, the pics and videos are being uploaded. Once the pics are uploaded, the other storage doesn't clear itself automatically. It is cleared at an interval of 14 days. So advancing the time helps in reducing some space this way.

2) All data can't be categorized. To keep the list simple, much of the data are grouped under other storage. Email attachments, drafts, browser/store cache data are stored in the other storage area. So clearing cache and performing a soft reset after that helps in re-claiming some space from other storage.

3) Although all apps installed have their own app data, some of it is saved in the other storage area. Try uninstalling lots of large apps/games like Asphalt, Angry Birds, Where's My Mickey etc. You'll see a good amount space been reclaimed from the other storage area.

I hope this post helps you understand the problems you face, and explain them better to people so that we can help. We're a community, and we strive to help every WP user as much as possible to make WP a better user experience. We are not employed by Microsoft. We are willingly here to genuinely help other WP users. So cribbing won't really help. As far as the other storage problem goes, if my post doesn't help you and you need a further detailed explanation, I recommend you to contact Joe Belfiore. He'll help you.

You've been suggested a lot. Rest is up to you to decide what to do.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I see that you have posted this in the wrong place. AFAIK the Lumia 720 has 8 GB of internal memory. 7.2 GB out of which is the actual value and 1.9 GB of that is dedicated to the OS itself.
The "Other Storage" has plagued me once, 1.6 GB. But the solution that I had suggested cleared some 700 MB for me. However, I did go ahead with a hard reset last week for no particular reason. Contacts, messaging and multimedia items are always backed up. So no issues with that. As far as games go, I started playing them over again. Equally fun still.

I'll try to break down how the other storage increases. I'm assuming you don't have a Lumia 720. You probably have a 16 or 32 GB device. Here goes:

1) Pics and videos taken are automatically backed up to the sky drive. The data is stored in the other storage area when, the pics and videos are being uploaded. Once the pics are uploaded, the other storage doesn't clear itself automatically. It is cleared at an interval of 14 days. So advancing the time helps in reducing some space this way.

2) All data can't be categorized. To keep the list simple, much of the data are grouped under other storage. Email attachments, drafts, browser/store cache data are stored in the other storage area. So clearing cache and performing a soft reset after that helps in re-claiming some space from other storage.

3) Although all apps installed have their own app data, some of it is saved in the other storage area. Try uninstalling lots of large apps/games like Asphalt, Angry Birds, Where's My Mickey etc. You'll see a good amount space been reclaimed from the other storage area.

I hope this post helps you understand the problems you face, and explain them better to people so that we can help. We're a community, and we strive to help every WP user as much as possible to make WP a better user experience. We are not employed by Microsoft. We are willingly here to genuinely help other WP users. So cribbing won't really help. As far as the other storage problem goes, if my post doesn't help you and you need a further detailed explanation, I recommend you to contact Joe Belfiore. He'll help you.

You've been suggested a lot. Rest is up to you to decide what to do.
I'll just deal with it. If continues to grow that just means if I reset it will just grow again obviously it my device habits and WP can't handle it. Hopefully its fixed in 8.1 if not its ok too just will have to figure out what os fits my needs no big deal thanks anyway guys!

tan_moy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here......,i am having nokia Lumia 720,,,,i just got an update of 586 mb...i guess the black update,,,,,but low on storage ...when i checked by storage check its showing other as 3gb!!!!

wp_ss_20140131_0001.png

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
basically, "Other" is not the problem. it's growing size is.

if u r using Whatsapp, or similar apps, the data stored by it is counted in "Other".
try to minimise ur data, and delete obsolute data. it shall result in the recovery of it.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Try advancing the phone date by a year. Then perform a soft reset. Next open storage cleaner and clear temp files. This should help reduce the "Other storage" size.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa