Qi charging on ATT 1520

teoami

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I will be pre-ordering my black Lumia 1520 tomorrow from the ATT store (trading in old phone to get a discount). Since ATT decided they wanted to try and force PMA onto their customers, I will be making my own Qi charging case for it.

I want the official Nokia flip cover, but I don't think they will be making a charge cover version of it. I noticed that the 925 shares the same 3 pin connector as the 1520. So I will essentially be taking the charging coil sticker out of a 925 case and attaching it to my flip cover to work with the 1520.

I figured this gives me the best of both worlds, Qi charging and having a valid warranty through ATT.

Anyone else considering this?

FYI, I'm using this video as reference for taking the charging cover apart: DIY: Nokia Lumia 925 Wireless Charging Mod - YouTube

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Good luck. I'm sure if it works, there will be interest in it. Make sure you document it so others can reproduce it when you are done.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've looked but haven't found anything that I think would work better than the video that the OP linked.

So it may be possible to open the case and add in the induction sticker/layer?

There is probably some sort of Chinese supplier out there for the part. Hopefully, someone will buy in bulk and resell.

teoami

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
To answer some questions:
I have looked for a supplier for just the charging coil used in the 925 cases, none have surfaced. Maybe if someone was to pose as a manufacturer that wants to make cases and asks Nokia nicely where to find the coils?

Also, i'm sure that it would be very simple to add the coil inside the 1520 itself, but I dont want to void my warranty so i am going to add it to the nifty Nokia flip case.

I will definitely document the process and post it back here for everyone to see once I get it accomplished.

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a galaxy note 3 charging coil from eBay that has the three contacts and I will be trying to see if it works. For $8 its worth the experiment

Sent from my RM-846_apac_hong_kong_220 using Tapatalk

teoami

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a galaxy note 3 charging coil from eBay that has the three contacts and I will be trying to see if it works. For $8 its worth the experiment

Hope that it doesn't have a different pin-out for the connectors and mess up the phone.

Also, it has a different layout and would put the coil in a weird place in the phone unless you do some wiring.

Bodrik

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
To answer some questions:
I have looked for a supplier for just the charging coil used in the 925 cases, none have surfaced. Maybe if someone was to pose as a manufacturer that wants to make cases and asks Nokia nicely where to find the coils?

Also, i'm sure that it would be very simple to add the coil inside the 1520 itself, but I dont want to void my warranty so i am going to add it to the nifty Nokia flip case.

I registered just to provide fair warning, but posing as a manufacturer to another company is a variety of corporate spying. Do not do this. You can potentially get anybody that answers you without verifying who you are into disciplinary action.

Have you looked at the QI membership list? For example Wurth and TDK are members as suppliers of wireless charging coils. And look what we have here... Digikey has TDK and Wurth wireless charging coils. The Qi specifications for receivers are a lot simpler then the transmitters, but there are additional components involved. It will be worth knowing if the additional circuitry was actually removed in whole or left alone, with just the coil portions removed.

Good luck.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I registered just to provide fair warning, but posing as a manufacturer to another company is a variety of corporate spying. Do not do this. You can potentially get anybody that answers you without verifying who you are into disciplinary action.

This isn't true

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
They aren't trying to get design information ...they are trying to source a part made by a third party
Even so ...how would you go about proving the caller doesn't have a genuine desire to make Qi cases

...bottom line is this; no one is going to get in trouble for calling in and asking a question

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb