Qi charging on ATT 1520

Bodrik

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
They aren't trying to get design information ...they are trying to source a part made by a third party
Even so ...how would you go about proving the caller doesn't have a genuine desire to make Qi cases

...bottom line is this; no one is going to get in trouble for calling in and asking a question

In order to do that, understand that you would need to get through to a engineer in the mobile device development. You would have to impersonate a 3rd party to do so... Then they would have to divulge information on what part of the receiver circuitry is removed for AT&T's version. That is design information only meant for actual 3rd party accessory makers.

The hope is for a tear-down of either the AT&T or International version, and/or find out what the Incipio PMA case includes, alongside an understanding of what the PMA/Qi circuitry differences are. The case should provide clues to what is not in the hardware itself.

Daniel Ferrara

May 11, 2013
Visit site
So, I have a question along these lines. Would it be possible, technologically, for a third party to make a Qi charging back for the 1520. Or was something changed internally in the phone that would prevent this. I don't understand the differences, technically speaking, between Qi and PMA. The back of the phone has the 3 contacts, so could any charging solution be attached to that? Or only PMA ones? Thanks!

teoami

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
So, I have a question along these lines. Would it be possible, technologically, for a third party to make a Qi charging back for the 1520. Or was something changed internally in the phone that would prevent this. I don't understand the differences, technically speaking, between Qi and PMA. The back of the phone has the 3 contacts, so could any charging solution be attached to that? Or only PMA ones? Thanks!
The "tech" inside the phone is not exclusive one way or the other. They are just leads that go to the motherboard same way as the power pin on the USB plug. It just looks for the proper voltage and starts charging.
As an example, if you look for charging coils for the Note 3, they offer both PMA and Qi options that connect to the same pins.

Daniel Ferrara

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. That sounds like great news! So, am I right in thinking that there is nothing from stopping a 3rd party from releasing a Qi back for the Lumia 1520? I already have the charging pad for my 920 and it would be nice not to have to buy a new one.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
In order to do that, understand that you would need to get through to a engineer in the mobile device development. You would have to impersonate a 3rd party to do so... Then they would have to divulge information on what part of the receiver circuitry is removed for AT&T's version. That is design information only meant for actual 3rd party accessory makers.

Sorry, but that is patently untrue. Spreading around false information like that and repeating it over and over helps no one.

Benny Vallejo

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I will be pre-ordering my black Lumia 1520 tomorrow from the ATT store (trading in old phone to get a discount). Since ATT decided they wanted to try and force PMA onto their customers, I will be making my own Qi charging case for it.

I want the official Nokia flip cover, but I don't think they will be making a charge cover version of it. I noticed that the 925 shares the same 3 pin connector as the 1520. So I will essentially be taking the charging coil sticker out of a 925 case and attaching it to my flip cover to work with the 1520.

I figured this gives me the best of both worlds, Qi charging and having a valid warranty through ATT.

Anyone else considering this?

FYI, I'm using this video as reference for taking the charging cover apart: DIY: Nokia Lumia 925 Wireless Charging Mod - YouTube

Just tried this today...not opening up the back of my 1520 but just taking apart the 925 charging cover and removing the Qi coil. The 3 pins on the back of my 1520 are wider than the 925 so i spread the outer two on the Qi coil a bit to make contact then taped it to the back of my 1520 phone and tried it with my Charging pad. NO LUCK. I may be doing something wrong but i doubt it. Good luck with your pursuit and let me know how it goes...so far no good for me. :/

meir602

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry this did not work for you, I was planing to do the same thing. Thank you for taking the lead.
A few questions before I tear apart my 925 charging cover.
How did you spread the pins? Is it possible that they were damaged in the spreading process? Is it possible they were not spread enough.
I would really appreciate any answers. Thank you.

Benny Vallejo

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Sorry this did not work for you, I was planing to do the same thing. Thank you for taking the lead.
A few questions before I tear apart my 925 charging cover.
How did you spread the pins? Is it possible that they were damaged in the spreading process? Is it possible they were not spread enough.
I would really appreciate any answers. Thank you.

I Spread the tips of the 2 outer pins that stick up...after taking off the black small squared plastic piece protecting them. i also made sure that they were aligned perfectly and made direct contact and then taped it down to the back of my 1520..i tried this again after posting to this thread but still no luck. There is a possibility that i may have damaged the coil in the process but i was still able to reassemble the 925 charging case with the coil as if it were new. No visible damage, so you can still try if you are really careful. I used an Exacto knife to get through the back cover. I will be shipping the 925 case to my brother who actually has the 925 phone and I'll ask him if it still works...If it does, then obviously it is just not compatible with the 1520...

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There is a possibility that i may have damaged the coil in the process but i was still able to reassemble the 925 charging case with the coil as if it were new. No visible damage, so you can still try if you are really careful. I used an Exacto knife to get through the back cover.

No need to ship it to brother. I took out the coil on my 920 and placed it on the charger. The small white led will light up when it's on. It's not plugged in or charging anything but the led confirms the coil works. Just look for the white led on your charger

JD_Morecraft

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
No need to ship it to brother. I took out the coil on my 920 and placed it on the charger. The small white led will light up when it's on. It's not plugged in or charging anything but the led confirms the coil works. Just look for the white led on your charger

I was considering taking my 920 apart and trying this too. Have you gotten anywhere with this, or is there more removed from the 1520 so the 920 coil will not even work?

Benny Vallejo

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

@darth_furious Yes, i am aware that the coil will light up the charger...It is specifically made for qi wireless charging. The point is that when i attach it to the back of my 1520, it will not charge. The white light on my charger will light up because it is recognizing the coil. THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL CHARGE. Sorry if there was any confusion.

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
@darth_furious Yes, i am aware that the coil will light up the charger...It is specifically made for qi wireless charging. The point is that when i attach it to the back of my 1520, it will not charge. The white light on my charger will light up because it is recognizing the coil. THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL CHARGE. Sorry if there was any confusion.

If the charger lights up, it means the coil is still working and there is a current passing through the circuit board. The 1520 is not charging probably because the pin setup is different from the 925

MrUNOwen

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
So I've had some success getting a qi adapter to work, but some soldering/wiring is required. I used the galaxy 3 adapter to do this.

Here's what I have:
-The left most pin (back facing you upright) is ground
-The center triggers "charging" with 5v
-The third is a unknown

I say "charging" because I haven't seen any increase in %, but the phone shows the icon for it. As for the third dot, it can be 1 of 4 possibilities, 1: no connection 2: battery temperature 3: the actual 5v input (pin 2 could just be an enable pin) 4: some other serial communication.

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
So I've had some success getting a qi adapter to work, but some soldering/wiring is required. I used the galaxy 3 adapter to do this.

Here's what I have:
-The left most pin (back facing you upright) is ground
-The center triggers "charging" with 5v
-The third is a unknown

I say "charging" because I haven't seen any increase in %, but the phone shows the icon for it. As for the third dot, it can be 1 of 4 possibilities, 1: no connection 2: battery temperature 3: the actual 5v input (pin 2 could just be an enable pin) 4: some other serial communication.

I have tried to find technical specs about the charging contacts on the back of the 1520. I've had no luck at this point. If we knew what each pin is actually for we could definitely get a Qi charging coil to work. Maybe someone with a PMA charging cover for the 1520 could do some voltage testing for us so that we could determine what each contact point is.

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The 920 qi has 4 pins. (1. Wc_en) (2. Wc_det) (3. +5v) (4. Gnd) I tested it and 5v and wc det will close a circuit as well as 5v and gnd. Wc en is what enables charging.wc det detects the charge. I'm guessing the ground you out on left is the det coil and the right is ground. I suspected the center was 5v but didn't know which would be ground. The fact that it shows it charging but didn't charge is only for detection. Try doing ground to both outside by splicing the 2 lead wires to ground. This will allow the circuit to go through
Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Board Express

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Did you guys tried to fit the back of a INTERNATIONAL iq version of phone to The cut down ATT one to get wireless charging?

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

darth_furious

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That would be the ideal option as I'm guessing there is little change to the internals. It should just be a different case to cut down on R&D. When they become available that would be the best option Anyone see a replacement case for sale?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss