I want the Nokia Lumia 1520 but unlocked with TMobile...

phoneuser2

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
can you please any website you have used to unlock your AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520? I bought the phone out of contract but still At&T is not ready to provide me the unlock code. Please help?

Xabanak

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Having just received my unlock code from AT&T, I'll share my story.

I have an active AT&T account that has been around for years. We're switching to T-Mobile soon, so the pressure was on for me to get my lumia 1520 unlocked as to not delay our switch. I bought my phone outright from a Microsoft store, then got a SIM card and updated my data plan at an AT&T store. After that, I tried the unlocking tool. It did not work. I received the same "This phone cannot be unlocked" message in red everyone else has been getting. I hopped on the technical support chat and let the representative (politely) know that I meet all the criteria to unlock my phone, but the online form will not allow it. She agreed that there was no reason it should not work, so she escalated the issue. The next day I received an email from support to let me know the issue was resolved. They forgot to include the unlock code in the email, so I jumped on chat again and the representative gave me the code with no hassle.

My experience was trouble-free. I can understand if the reps can't unlock the phone, but obviously someone can and did in my case, just on the backend without my direct interaction.

I have not made the switch yet, since I just got that email this morning. Soon.

berrywr

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Correct; it's only AT&T 3G HSPA+. I would like to buy the 1520 but think I will stay in my custom flashed Titan a bit longer despite stuck on 2G on T-Mobile...I have 5 bars where I live, 0 bars Straight Talk but where I had ST; all HSPA+. It's what drives me nuts about T-Mobile; it's great if you live in a city, EDGE if you're rural.

IzaacJ

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Damn, wish I could import the 1520. It'll get released January 16th here in Sweden with a hefty price tag if bought unlocked, off contract. About $1000 USD... :(

Wray Smallwood

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget those that want this for T-Mobile that once it comes out you still need to do your research. This phone, like most GSM phones out there, does not have the 1700Mhz 3G band that most T-Mobile areas use. That means if you aren't in range of LTE (and that's quite frequently if you look at coverage maps), then all you will have is 2G.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone

If the 1520 is bought from the Microsoft Store for full price (no contract) - will they give an unlock code for it?

Thanks

EDIT: I contacted Microsoft Chat Support through the answer desk link in the Microsoft Store and threw this question at them. While they were helpful, they told me that they could not confirm this query as the answer desk dept. does not handle these types of queries (I think they are geared to tackle PC ad Office problems) and gave me a phone number tocontact the microsoft store team.

Has anyone here at WPC bought a 1520 from MS store for full price and gotten an unlock from them?

Last edited:

Kha Bui

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone

If the 1520 is bought from the Microsoft Store for full price (no contract) - will they give an unlock code for it?

Thanks

EDIT: I contacted Microsoft Chat Support through the answer desk link in the Microsoft Store and threw this question at them. While they were helpful, they told me that they could not confirm this query as the answer desk dept. does not handle these types of queries (I think they are geared to tackle PC ad Office problems) and gave me a phone number tocontact the microsoft store team.

Has anyone here at WPC bought a 1520 from MS store for full price and gotten an unlock from them?
Buying a full price phone from Microsoft Store doesn't mean that you get your phone unlock. It depends on the carrier. If you want to use it for other carriers, you have to call AT&T for unlock code. However, it is not possible now because AT&T SUCK!

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I can't find an e-mail address for contacting Microsoft store about my query. I would be mighty thankful if any US WPC member could call them at 1-877-696-7786 and ask if getting an unlock for a contract free 1520 bought from the MS store is possible.

Buying a full price phone from Microsoft Store doesn't mean that you get your phone unlock. It depends on the carrier. If you want to use it for other carriers, you have to call AT&T for unlock code. However, it is not possible now because AT&T SUCK!

If a phone is bought out at full price, doesn;t the customer get to use it on any network he/she likes? Or is there a catch? I am not too familiar with phone contracts in the US.

SnittyKitty

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that T-Mobile has refarmed GSM 1900 to HSPA in Columbus & LaGrange, GA and Auburn-Opelika, AL where we live. That's the good news, but one caveat, as T-Mobile users realize, the moment you leave any city limit welcome to the world of 2G EDGE. I live in a town of 443 people and despite whatever negatives we have about AT&T; their entire 1900 network is now HSPA+ and their MVNOs are clocking in at HSPA+ speeds of up to 7.2 megs. I continue to use interop/developer unlocked Titans running 7.8 and AT&T has dismal sub 1.5 to 3.0 megs down, but wherever I have refarmed 1900 with a T-Mobile SIM...running on average 4.0 to 7.2 megs down which was extremely refreshing, but the moment I left town, back to 2G EDGE so while it's welcome to see the ugrade, it's not the coverage AT&T has on its network in rural areas which is another sore issue with me because there is absolutely no T-Mobile coverage in the Thomaston, GA area...a donut hole that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon. You think we pay less, nope!. I have my decision down to the Lumia 1520 on Straight Talk (AT&T) or Note 3 on T-Mobile. My problem is no T-Mobile where my wife and I live in GA and barely...maybe a no bar signal from AT&T on Straight Talk at our other home in Opelika, AL where our kids are. I'm thinking of going with a Wilson Amplifier but I don't know how good these amps are and whether they do what they say...so...more homework.

SnittyKitty

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
You're correct; AT&T does not offer "true" 4G LTE on any of their MVNOs. They do offer HSPA+ and on Straight Talk (AT&T) our speeds are maxing out at their cap, 7.2 megs down on the HTC One (M7) 64GB Developer's Edition from HTC.com $649.00

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
If a phone is bought out at full price, doesn;t the customer get to use it on any network he/she likes? Or is there a catch? I am not too familiar with phone contracts in the US.

Turns out carriers (or at least AT&T) have started subsidizing the full price of the phone, even off contract. The reason is, if the phone is locked to their network, they still benefit from your using the phone on their network (even if it's through an MVNO). The true unlocked 1520s that I've seen are like $800 while the AT&T "off contract" pricing is well under $600. 16GB of ram and Qi doesn't cost $200.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You're correct; AT&T does not offer "true" 4G LTE on any of their MVNOs. They do offer HSPA+ and on Straight Talk (AT&T) our speeds are maxing out at their cap, 7.2 megs down on the HTC One (M7) 64GB Developer's Edition from HTC.com $649.00

I think ST has started offering LTE on AT&T. At least I read that somewhere (and I think someone confirmed it here).

One thing I like about T-Mobile is they have up to 42Mbps HSPA+ in many areas, which I've found can be as good as other carrier's LTE in some places. I have never been that happy with the HSPA performance of my Titan on AT&T, and I think one reason is that phone is locked to the 7.2Mbps category.

Nokia1520

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
IF you are in a bind like I was and are overseas, they might help you, you can check out my very first post. If you just want to switch to TMobile, it may be a bit harder and I have no experience with it. Just in case anyone is looking so they can travel overseas.

Jnelson071

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
What do I need to to in order to get the Nokia Lumia 1520 unlocked and working with my tmobile plan?

and will the phone work with Tmobile?

I bought my New Nokia Lumia 1520 Quad-Core 20MP 4G LTE (FACTORY UNLOCKED) 32GB and QI Charging w/no Tmobile LTE band one week ago and even though I don't live (or work in for that matter) in a Reframed Tmobile area, I get decent reception and WIFI is readily available at both work and home. That being said, almost everywhere surrounding me is Reframed and Tmobile's H+ really is Blazing Fast in Washington DC and it's surrounding areas, so the tradeoff (for me at least) is worth it. I did my Research prior to my purchase and knew what I was getting myself into so, even though $689 is a hefty price for a cell phone, I got what I wanted and I'm extremely happy the device. Just keep in mind that there are tradeoffs and if your willing to live without TMO LTE, Visual Voicemail and WIFI calling, this is the phone/tablet for you.
Link where I bought mine: New Nokia Lumia 1520 Quad-Core 20MP 4G LTE (FACTORY UNLOCKED) 32GB White Phone | eBay
GOOD LUCK And ENJOY!!!

Pacherecords

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jnelson071 do you had a total satisfactory experience buying with tropical-mobile on ebay?? the vendor sent the phone with FED EX? I never before bought a phone from an ebay seller =S

Jnelson071

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes Pacherecords, my entire experience thus far has been wonderful! My phone arrived in an unexpected 3 days which is fast by any standard and was exactly as described with all accessories included. All I had to do was enter my sim card from T-Mobile and I was in business. I was a little disappointed at first because I couldn't test the H or H+ speeds due to my area not being Refarmed but once I got to see this baby at full tilt in my surrounding areas, I was completely satisfied. Besides, I don't need 4G or LTE @ home because WiFi is readily available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss