Creative 1520 homescreen layouts

Coolaaron88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So since the 1520 is one of the first Windows Phones to feature the new three column tile layout, this opens new ways to organize your start screen.

How do you plan on utilizing that space on your 1520?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Coolaaron88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
We'll for myself, one of the first things I notice is that you can be more creative with dividing your start screen into sections. Like for example placing all of your email inboxes as three medium sized tiles next to each other.

I plan to have the first section be all social. The playing with double wide and medium title layouts will make my start screen really interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
We'll for myself, one of the first things I notice is that you can be more creative with dividing your start screen into sections. Like for example placing all of your email inboxes as three medium sized tiles next to each other.

I plan to have the first section be all social. The playing with double wide and medium title layouts will make my start screen really interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Please post some screenshots when you get your device. I'd like to see what your start screen looks like.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I think it will be much more useful for utilizing the "header" tiles I've seen people with. On the standard 2 column screen, these seem cool at first, but really take up space.

Shockwave78

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to windows phones and this will be my first (if I end up keeping it)

With all theseive tiles, how does it effect battery life? Are they constantly updating when the phone is locked and not being used?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
With all theseive tiles, how does it effect battery life? Are they constantly updating when the phone is locked and not being used?
Each of your "live" apps comes with a small companion program (bundled in, so there's nothing for you to do to get them) that does the tile updating every 30 minutes (plus or minus a few minutes). The updates can only use a little bit of memory and have to finish quickly (under 30 seconds), so they don't have a great impact on battery life.

You can see which apps have these "in the background" or "periodic" tasks by going in to Settings, swiping to the Applications panel, and opening the Background Tasks page. This is a list of the companion programs that we do work in the background. Note, a companion program can be active even if the app isn't pinned to the Start screen. (For example, you might want Weave to get new content regularly, but not have it pinned.) If you find an app that's annoying you, you can use this page to block the app's ability to even schedule the task to run periodically.

Two final notes that causes some confusion for some new users:
1) The main part of the app is what asks the operating system to schedule the periodic task to run. When the OS does that, the schedule is for every 30 minutes for two weeks. Usually, apps extend the schedule each time they start up. IF you have an app that works this way and you pin it so read information from its tile, but you don't ever tap the tile to go in to the app, the updating will stop within two weeks because the scheduled task will end.
2) If the periodic task is a bit buggy or slow, Windows Phone will unscheduled it -- these tasks are allowed to fail or be slow once in a while, but if they screw up two times in a row, the OS won't even try a third time. (Of course, the app itself can ask the OS to schedule the periodic task again, but that means that you have to go in to the app. Most apps don't tell you the "state" of their background task "subscription" so there's no way for you to know if the updates are running or not; Microsoft needs to do a bit of work in this area. (Mine reports "on", "off", "expired", "slow", "memory hog" or "crashed", but it's not a general-purpose app.)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I mostly envy the 1320 and 1520 for that third column layout, I want it so bad on my 1020!!! The new specs are nice too, but I'm mostly drooling over that third tile column (also, I don't want such an obnoxiously big screen, and if I switched, I'd have to sacrifice that beautiful 41MP camera).

Hopefully the rumors will be true, and a third column will be made optional on Windows Phone 8.1, I want it so bad!!!

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Each of your "live" apps comes with a small companion program (bundled in, so there's nothing for you to do to get them) that does the tile updating every 30 minutes (plus or minus a few minutes). The updates can only use a little bit of memory and have to finish quickly (under 30 seconds), so they don't have a great impact on battery life.

You can see which apps have these "in the background" or "periodic" tasks by going in to Settings, swiping to the Applications panel, and opening the Background Tasks page. This is a list of the companion programs that we do work in the background. Note, a companion program can be active even if the app isn't pinned to the Start screen. (For example, you might want Weave to get new content regularly, but not have it pinned.) If you find an app that's annoying you, you can use this page to block the app's ability to even schedule the task to run periodically.

1) The main part of the app is what asks the operating system to schedule the periodic task to run. When the OS does that, the schedule is for every 30 minutes for two weeks. Usually, apps extend the schedule each time they start up. IF you have an app that works this way and you pin it so read information from its tile, but you don't ever tap the tile to go in to the app, the updating will stop within two weeks because the scheduled task will end.
2) If the periodic task is a bit buggy or slow, Windows Phone will unscheduled it -- these tasks are allowed to fail or be slow once in a while, but if they screw up two times in a row, the OS won't even try a third time. (Of course, the app itself can ask the OS to schedule the periodic task again, but that means that you have to go in to the app. Most apps don't tell you the "state" of their background task "subscription" so there's no way for you to know if the updates are running or not; Microsoft needs to do a bit of work in this area. (Mine reports "on", "off", "expired", "slow", "memory hog" or "crashed", but it's not a general-purpose app.)

most difficult explanation for Livetiles ever.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, i hope to spice things up a little bit, as i cannot really do much on my 520 that i'll be completely satisfied.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Thanks a lot for the detail explanation. Do you have any idea how to fix the dead tile? Is there any limit on how many apps that can run in the background?

tjwheels

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking I will keep most of the apps I open frequently in the right side column just in case I can hold and operate with one hand and scroll with my thumb. The left side and middle is going to be out of reach for one hand operation (I think). That is where I'll try and keep apps that I primarily just use the live tile, weather, scoreboard, those type of things.

Chief_Adu

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I mostly envy the 1320 and 1520 for that third column layout, I want it so bad on my 1020!!! The new specs are nice too, but I'm mostly drooling over that third tile column (also, I don't want such an obnoxiously big screen, and if I switched, I'd have to sacrifice that beautiful 41MP camera).

Hopefully the rumors will be true, and a third column will be made optional on Windows Phone 8.1, I want it so bad!!!

I'd like to see this on my HTC 8X as well! We just have to wait for new rumors :p

However, I'd really like to see some screenshots of the device :)

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Will the 1520 lag when scrolling down? Actually, I don't think I'm using the right word, but let me try and make and example, I have my game tiles at the bottom of the screen, way down there, and when I want to get to a game fast, I scroll down fast, but sometimes instead of showing my tiles it will show black screen because I went down too fast, I don't know why it does this but will the 1520 do this since it contains more tiles?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any idea how to fix the dead tile?
Just some general suggestions. If a tile seems dead, tap it to go in to the app. If the app has its own setting for tile updates, turn it off, quit the app (in case it only saves the settings change when exiting), restart the app, and turn the settings back on. If the tile was pinned from inside the app, I'd also consider unpinning it, starting the app, and re-pinning from inside the app. Of course, all of this is geared toward trying to get the app to resubmit its request to have a periodic task run.

Is there any limit on how many apps that can run in the background?
There was in earlier releases and I suspect that there now, but I don't recall it. However, the app should get an error when trying to schedule the periodic task and should tell you about the error. Also note that there was (and may still be) a different limit for devices that have only 512MB of memory.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Just some general suggestions. If a tile seems dead, tap it to go in to the app. If the app has its own setting for tile updates, turn it off, quit the app (in case it only saves the settings change when exiting), restart the app, and turn the settings back on. If the tile was pinned from inside the app, I'd also consider unpinning it, starting the app, and re-pinning from inside the app. Of course, all of this is geared toward trying to get the app to resubmit its request to have a periodic task run.

There was in earlier releases and I suspect that there now, but I don't recall it. However, the app should get an error when trying to schedule the periodic task and should tell you about the error. Also note that there was (and may still be) a different limit for devices that have only 512MB of memory.

Tried the suggestion and the "Live Tile" is still dead. :unhappysweat:

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 30, 2007
Visit site
Here's my home screen.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20131121_0001.png
    wp_ss_20131121_0001.png
    924.7 KB · Views: 7

Members online