Volume too high even at 1/30 in headphones

ivanzl

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Bought a Nokia Lumia 1020 yesterday and so far so good, but I have a major problem with the volume levels. If I watch something on Netflix the volume is fine, but when I use Nokia Music, XBox Music or AudioCloud (SoundCloud app) or watch something on YouTube (mobile) through Internet Explorer the volume is too loud even at 1/30 . This is really annoying because I can't listen to music without potentially causing damage to my ears.

So far I have tried:

- 2 pairs of headphones
- soft reset
- hard reset
- lumia system updater to update all nokia system apps

Could this be a hardware issue? Maybe something to do with the Nokia EQ component (which I don't need). Is there something I can do other than replacing/returning the phone?

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I have experienced this bug few times (2,3) and a soft reset fixed my issue. It came as a surprise the fact that yours did not do anything.

I would call Nokia or have it exchanged.

ivanzl

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Replaced the phone - still the same issue. Working around by using a Custom EQ with all the bands waaay down and listening to music and taking calls inside on 1/30 volume level. All Nokia needs to do is just add a couple (2-3) volume levels before 1 and it will be sorted.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Bought a Nokia Lumia 1020 yesterday and so far so good, but I have a major problem with the volume levels. If I watch something on Netflix the volume is fine, but when I use Nokia Music, XBox Music or AudioCloud (SoundCloud app) or watch something on YouTube (mobile) through Internet Explorer the volume is too loud even at 1/30 . This is really annoying because I can't listen to music without potentially causing damage to my ears.

So far I have tried:

- 2 pairs of headphones
- soft reset
- hard reset
- lumia system updater to update all nokia system apps

Could this be a hardware issue? Maybe something to do with the Nokia EQ component (which I don't need). Is there something I can do other than replacing/returning the phone?

It's not a bug but it's bad design. My work around is open the volume equalizer and drag all the bar to half the normal level. It should work for you too.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
My goodness, I'm experiencing the same crap... Media volume at 1/30 is too loud. This is not is a hardware issue. The volume should be recalibrated so that there are ten additional increments between 1/30 and 0/30. Its driving me nuts.

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Never had that problem, but I occasionally get a weird glitch that changing volume levels doesn't really do anything. Like if I start a song at 15 and lower it down to zero, its still playing at 15 and a soft reset fixes it. Does Nokia know of these audio problems? When I had my 920 I never experienced this,but I have it on my 1020. I think it has something to do with Lumia Black update

GPendolino

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I have extremely sensitive hearing.
On the iPhone 4S, my volume was always just the first one or two dots.
I also noticed that when I changed to the Lumia the volume was a bit too much for me at level 1/30.
The way I solved it was with a very inexpensive pair of Soundbot SB240's.
They're bluetooth and pair easily with the 1020.
I've only had them for about a day now so I cannot speak to their longevity but I can say the volume issue is fixed.
I set the 1020 to 1/30 then set the Soundbots to their maximum and lower it from there to get my desired volume.
They work great not only for music and games but the calls as well.
Set my 1020 on the couch of my main floor and walked to one of the second floor bedrooms and my music or calls stays on the entire time at that range.
I even tried my bike helmet on and it fits with these.
I you are still having this problem, give these a try:

Amazon.com: SoundBot? SB240 Sapphire Blue/Black Bluetooth Headset for Music Streaming & HandsFree Calling for 20 Hours of Talk Time, 400 Hours of Standby Time w/ MicroUSB Charging Port & Cable Included: Cell Phones & Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire