Fed up with Verizon (Lumia 929)

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
BTW, has anyone ever heard of the Palm Pre 3????

Thanks to you, I've been all through the Marketplace on webOS Nations looking for a Pre 3. I've messaged half a dozen people to see if they still have their Pre 3. Why in the world did you have to mention the Pre 3??!! :grin:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

It's a pretty empty rumor. He's a post of mine from another thread copy and pasted.

The problem with that rumor is it's mainly based on the Skinomi accessories listed on Amazon set to be released on December 6th: http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi®-Tech...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2235845

That would be an okay rumor, except that Skinomi is also releasing the 1520 accessories on December 6th:http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi®-Tech...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2235845
Which tells us that accessory release dates aren't necessarily the best indicator of actual device release dates.

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Just read on a site (look kinda sketchy, so take with large amounts of salt) but it supposed to be released on December 6 for $600 which would be way to much for me to spend on a phone with no sd card slot. (only thing I think the 929 is missing)

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I usually stick to under promise, over deliver, as well, but the problem with it is that if you under promise, you likely won't reach maximum potential for sales. If no one knows about it, they can't get it. Verizon seems to (at least in the past) thought that Windows Phone wasn't worth promoting or getting hyped up because no one wanted it. But no one can want it if they don't know about it. So it's a catch 22 I suppose.

I don't blame Verizon, but they certainly aren't making any fans out of Windows Phone enthusiasts by being too quiet, and not showing that they support it. If they don't support the platform I want, how can they expect my loyalty? It's not like Windows Phone is some crazy one-off brand that is obscure and owned by some small, useless company. This is Microsoft we're talking about. And Windows Phone is bigger than BlackBerry now. Sure, it's not as big as Android or the iPhone, but it never will reach its full potential if it doesn't get carrier support.

Verizon isn't about sales, it is about maintaining its customer base. Launching a phone before its ready for primetime or announcing a phone only to have the available product to be inefficient are not ways to please your customers and maintain a stable and growing monthly customer base. Verizon's attitude is to let their competition run into problems with new tech or low quantities on new phones. If they did that, they would not be as reliable as they are. Fact is, Verizon customers tend to be with them because of their network, not because of the phones they have on the network.

Essentially Verizon's core is this: What's the point of having the latest and greatest if you can't consistently access the cell network it runs on? AT&T ran into this problem early with the iPhone. They went for the bright, shiny object and didn't think about the impact on their network or the fact that the network was not up to the task. AT&T's way of doing things is to throw as many phones at the wall and see which ones stick. They are a device oriented company. If you want the latest and greatest, go with AT&T - but the latest and greatest may not fully function on the network at all times.

Over the summer, I was visiting Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park. As I was taking pictures in the middle of the park, I was also posting them online. Other guests of the park noticed that it seemed I had a connection and asked my carrier. AT&T and T-Mobile customers had no signal because there are no cell towers in the park, yet I DID have a signal - I even had LTE. Only two bars, but that was a lot better than what others had. THAT is what Verizon is all about.

Verizon is WAY ahead of their competition on LTE rollout and they will be able to flip a switch at some point next year and ramp up their entire network. Remember, the 929 (like the 928) will support the even higher speeds and they are already deploying their AWS spectrum in markets. It'll be national next year. They have hit 100Mbps in testing and expect that the average joe will be able to maintain 80Mbps on a standard connection.

But the 929 must not only work with the current deployment, but also the future deployment. They don't want someone who upgrades to a higher end new phone right now to be left behind when they turn on their AWS stuff. However, by this time next year, most of Verizon's LTE map will be available AWS.

THIS is Verizon. Ahead of the curb on their network deployment and making sure their customers have reliable phones as opposed to flashy phones. This is why they test a new phone in all major markets before they launch. And they also want customers to get the phones. I've heard of supply problems with the 929. I've also heard that they could launch, but they'd have limited supply. They don't want that. They don't want a great number of people to be disappointed that they can't get their phone. In fact, they feel AT&T's rush to get the 920 out last year hurt the WP8 brand and caused one of those terrible "overpromise, underdeliver" issues. Not to get political here, but regardless of your stances we see that now with the ACA too - and both sides of the aisle are so often guilty of overpromising and underdelivering. Many companies do too - and AT&T does it frequently in their launches.

Verizon will announce when the are confident they can meet demand and that the phone lives up to their standards. They will not make people wait weeks or months to get the phone. They will take care of it now.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Verizon isn't about sales, it is about maintaining its customer base. Launching a phone before its ready for primetime or announcing a phone only to have the available product to be inefficient are not ways to please your customers and maintain a stable and growing monthly customer base. Verizon's attitude is to let their competition run into problems with new tech or low quantities on new phones. If they did that, they would not be as reliable as they are. Fact is, Verizon customers tend to be with them because of their network, not because of the phones they have on the network.

Essentially Verizon's core is this: What's the point of having the latest and greatest if you can't consistently access the cell network it runs on? AT&T ran into this problem early with the iPhone. They went for the bright, shiny object and didn't think about the impact on their network or the fact that the network was not up to the task. AT&T's way of doing things is to throw as many phones at the wall and see which ones stick. They are a device oriented company. If you want the latest and greatest, go with AT&T - but the latest and greatest may not fully function on the network at all times.

Over the summer, I was visiting Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park. As I was taking pictures in the middle of the park, I was also posting them online. Other guests of the park noticed that it seemed I had a connection and asked my carrier. AT&T and T-Mobile customers had no signal because there are no cell towers in the park, yet I DID have a signal - I even had LTE. Only two bars, but that was a lot better than what others had. THAT is what Verizon is all about.

Verizon is WAY ahead of their competition on LTE rollout and they will be able to flip a switch at some point next year and ramp up their entire network. Remember, the 929 (like the 928) will support the even higher speeds and they are already deploying their AWS spectrum in markets. It'll be national next year. They have hit 100Mbps in testing and expect that the average joe will be able to maintain 80Mbps on a standard connection.

But the 929 must not only work with the current deployment, but also the future deployment. They don't want someone who upgrades to a higher end new phone right now to be left behind when they turn on their AWS stuff. However, by this time next year, most of Verizon's LTE map will be available AWS.

THIS is Verizon. Ahead of the curb on their network deployment and making sure their customers have reliable phones as opposed to flashy phones. This is why they test a new phone in all major markets before they launch. And they also want customers to get the phones. I've heard of supply problems with the 929. I've also heard that they could launch, but they'd have limited supply. They don't want that. They don't want a great number of people to be disappointed that they can't get their phone. In fact, they feel AT&T's rush to get the 920 out last year hurt the WP8 brand and caused one of those terrible "overpromise, underdeliver" issues. Not to get political here, but regardless of your stances we see that now with the ACA too - and both sides of the aisle are so often guilty of overpromising and underdelivering. Many companies do too - and AT&T does it frequently in their launches.

Verizon will announce when the are confident they can meet demand and that the phone lives up to their standards. They will not make people wait weeks or months to get the phone. They will take care of it now.

Mr. MacPhisto for CEO of Microsoft 2014.

But that still doesn't get to the crux of my frustration. I'm fine with Verizon releasing the phone when they have the supply for it. I don't mind the extensive network testing either. I DO think that they should announce it when they know when they'll be able to release it with confidence. Why can't they say it'll be ready in January? Why not February? It would really help their customers with their device planning.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It is frustrating that we know little to nothing about the 929. I wouldn't trust anyone from Verizon, my roommate works at one of the corporate offices and she doesn't even know anything about the 928, let alone the 929.

Kart69

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
The reason they don't announce it too far ahead, is that everyone will stop buying the previous version (in this case the 928). That will cause a ton of unsold phones. I am sure Verizon had to guarantee to purchase a number of phones to get the price to a certain level.

Its amazing how people can be so childish over a RUMOR that a new phone is coming out by a certain time. We know its coming out eventually.

If you are fed up, go somewhere else. Verizon really wont care about a dozen unhappy people.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

I totally agree, but failure to communicate to the customer can't be ignored. In an industry with a duopoly, the average person doesn't understand how these networks work or who is ahead of the game. They want the best price for the best phones. Verizon knows most people want the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus (and other Android phones). Windows Phone isn't their top priority. It's very clear.

Verizon certainly has the best coverage. That's why people stay with them. But while coverage is good, it's not the only factor.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree, but failure to communicate to the customer can't be ignored. In an industry with a duopoly, the average person doesn't understand how these networks work or who is ahead of the game. They want the best price for the best phones. Verizon knows most people want the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus (and other Android phones). Windows Phone isn't their top priority. It's very clear.

Verizon certainly has the best coverage. That's why people stay with them. But while coverage is good, it's not the only factor.

They don't usually communicate when the S4 or iPhone or the like come out, but those two are rarities. Those are phones that go simultaneously to all carriers at this point. Most other phones are exclusives or take time. The HTC One did not come out everywhere and it didn't get too much hype before its VZW launch. The Nexus 5 isn't even on Verizon.

Verizon likes Windows Phone, but at this point it is a niche market and AT&T is the one willing to shell out for exclusives. Verizon does get their own versions of phones from Nokia, but they have several factors involved in determining when a phone will hit market.

Fact is, Verizon was onboard from the getgo. They have also done a good job in rolling out updates, but they also will keep an eye on their inventories and projections. If they have 929s and don't launch them for Black Friday, they have a reason. I know it's tough because AT&T puts out every model known to man, but they also don't have the QA process. That's because AT&T has long been about the phone and not about the network or the customer experience.

If Windows Phone can create a high volume sales brand like Galaxy and iPhone, then they will stock it. Until then, it gets treated like other Android phones not named Galaxy.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
They don't usually communicate when the S4 or iPhone or the like come out, but those two are rarities. Those are phones that go simultaneously to all carriers at this point. Most other phones are exclusives or take time. The HTC One did not come out everywhere and it didn't get too much hype before its VZW launch. The Nexus 5 isn't even on Verizon.

Verizon likes Windows Phone, but at this point it is a niche market and AT&T is the one willing to shell out for exclusives. Verizon does get their own versions of phones from Nokia, but they have several factors involved in determining when a phone will hit market.

Fact is, Verizon was onboard from the getgo. They have also done a good job in rolling out updates, but they also will keep an eye on their inventories and projections. If they have 929s and don't launch them for Black Friday, they have a reason. I know it's tough because AT&T puts out every model known to man, but they also don't have the QA process. That's because AT&T has long been about the phone and not about the network or the customer experience.

If Windows Phone can create a high volume sales brand like Galaxy and iPhone, then they will stock it. Until then, it gets treated like other Android phones not named Galaxy.

Totally agree. AT&T is about the phone. But I think Verizon knows Android makes them more money. The iPhone probably makes them more money as well just because more people buy it. But I still don't get the feeling Verizon embraces Windows Phone. I think they just keep it around "just in case" but am I dissatisfied with the quality of devices? No. They do a good job of carrying a high end version of the Lumias, which I appreciate. Although I wouldn't mind if they embraced colors and good design once in a while on Windows Phone. I feel like that's part of Nokia's "thing." Windows Phone could probably stand out more on Verizon and stand out instead of being overlooked if they had colors.

I was shocked at how many people I know now own the iPhone 5C after just owning the iPhone 5. All for the colors. It's amazing. The 5C is literally the same phone with a colorful plastic casing as the iPhone 5, yet I asked why they got it and it was for the colors.

I also have a friend who has a Lumia 920 on AT&T and someone asked him if he had the iPhone 5C because of the color. I nearly died, haha. In my head I was like "Colorful phones were Nokia's thing loooong before it was Apple's thing," haha.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I want the 929 as bad as the next guy, but I am an over the road truck driver and there is no way in hell I would jump companies to own it. I was briefly with att when I started driving, and their coverage is abismal compared to Verizon. I'll gladly wait it out in order to stay with a company that actually cares about their network consistency.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Maanasee Deshmukh

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. AT&T is about the phone. But I think Verizon knows Android makes them more money. The iPhone probably makes them more money as well just because more people buy it. But I still don't get the feeling Verizon embraces Windows Phone. I think they just keep it around "just in case" but am I dissatisfied with the quality of devices? No. They do a good job of carrying a high end version of the Lumias, which I appreciate. Although I wouldn't mind if they embraced colors and good design once in a while on Windows Phone. I feel like that's part of Nokia's "thing." Windows Phone could probably stand out more on Verizon and stand out instead of being overlooked if they had colors.

I agree. While Verizon may not have the "flashy" phones, or the most expensive and high-end devices out there, they stilk have the best service and network, hands down.

I think one reason why Verizon may not support WP8 as much is mainly because its a marketing strategy. See, companies big and small ALWAYS are looking into the future with their products. They want the best products that make lots of money and bring the company more to gain and build the company's reputation in the stock market. It's no different with Verizon. Verizon only wants what's best for their company and their customers, but that doesn't mean their products will always be the high-end phones. Windows Phone is only just recently gaining the upper hand in the market. Verizon knows that they make more customers happy off of Android and iPhones, so they bring in more of those, particularly Android. Verizon adopted Windows Phone because a small minority want Windows Phones, and while the small "minority" is pretty big, its not enough to make a statement to Verizon that "Hey, we should bring in more Windows Phones for our customers!" So, if we want more Verizon support on Windows Phones, particularly Nokia Lumias, then we need more customers to either adopt WP8 or switch to WP8. Its the only way Verizon will then see that Windows Phones will benefit them in the long run and so they will bring out more exclusive and flagship phones, thus making the customers satisfied and happy! :)

Sent from my device using Tapatalk

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I found the solution to this whole problem:
  1. Sell 928 on Ebay for an amount slightly above the VZW termination fee
  2. Port number to AT&T and pick up a shiny new YELLOW Lumia 1020

You guys are a LOT more patient than me, I gave up on waiting for the 929 a month ago!! The fact that today is BLACK FRIDAY and you have nothing, NOTHING new in the Windows phone offerings from VZW tells me all I need to know about what value VZW places on Windows Phone in general and their own Windows Phone customers. If you want to be a Windows Phone customer where being a Windows Phone customer actually counts, AT&T is probably your best bet.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I found the solution to this whole problem:
  1. Sell 928 on Ebay for an amount slightly above the VZW termination fee
  2. Port number to AT&T and pick up a shiny new YELLOW Lumia 1020

You guys are a LOT more patient than me, I gave up on waiting for the 929 a month ago!! The fact that today is BLACK FRIDAY and you have nothing, NOTHING new in the Windows phone offerings from VZW tells me all I need to know about what value VZW places on Windows Phone in general and their own Windows Phone customers. If you want to be a Windows Phone customer where being a Windows Phone customer actually counts, AT&T is probably your best bet.

I agree with many of your points. AT&T seems way more on board with Windows Phone than Verizon, and the 1020 is such a gorgeous phone.
But I'm still hesitant to give up on Verizon's network. I might not like any carrier (from a consumer perspective). But I suppose part of me wants to buy a Windows Phone on Verizon to show them there is a demand on their network. And spec-wise, the 929 is turning out to be a really nice phone. I'd prefer the 1020 camera, but honestly, even something half as good as the 1020 camera is still better than most out there. I wish Verizon would get colorful phones, but if I can't for now, oh well. Specs will always matter more than colors. But yes, the yellow 1020 looks fantastic, especially in matte.

Waiting sucks, but I've waiting this long, I guess I can wait a little longer. Verizon's network may be worth waiting a little longer for. But of course, that's just my personal opinion. I don't blame you for jumping to AT&T for the 1020. I've wanted that phone so bad, but Verizon will never get it.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
^^ I also agree Verizon doesn't seem to care much for windows phones. But, to me coverage is where they excel and that is more important. I'll just take the best device they offer for my needs knowing I'll always have the coverage to use it. Regarding the 1020, nice looking phone till you turn it over. Sorry, but to me that backside is bu++ ugly. Doesn't even sit flat on a table. To each their own.

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree with many of your points. AT&T seems way more on board with Windows Phone than Verizon, and the 1020 is such a gorgeous phone.
But I'm still hesitant to give up on Verizon's network. I might not like any carrier (from a consumer perspective). But I suppose part of me wants to buy a Windows Phone on Verizon to show them there is a demand on their network. And spec-wise, the 929 is turning out to be a really nice phone. I'd prefer the 1020 camera, but honestly, even something half as good as the 1020 camera is still better than most out there. I wish Verizon would get colorful phones, but if I can't for now, oh well. Specs will always matter more than colors. But yes, the yellow 1020 looks fantastic, especially in matte.

Waiting sucks, but I've waiting this long, I guess I can wait a little longer. Verizon's network may be worth waiting a little longer for. But of course, that's just my personal opinion. I don't blame you for jumping to AT&T for the 1020. I've wanted that phone so bad, but Verizon will never get it.

I am beyond thrilled with the 1020! I'd like a 5-5.5in screen (1520 is too BIG for me and I have huge hands), but I just got back from a Bahamas cruise last week, and the photos that 1020 takes are, in a word, AMAZING!!
WP_20131121_15_51_57_Pro.jpg

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
My business rep didn't know anything about the 929 this week either. BTW, has anyone ever heard of the Palm Pre 3???? Yes, it was a Verizon device that was built but never released. Not that it could have saved WebOS, but it was a nice device. I'm not saying the 929 is like the Pre 3 and will never come out, but Verizon does have a history of changing their minds.

The pre 3 didn't come out on any carrier. It was made for a couple carriers, and then killed before it saw the light of day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077