I just noticed the 1520 doesn't have HDMI...

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
How big of an issue is that? I've never tried to use my phone as output to a TV.. but then again I don't use my phone for a lot of things that other people do. I don't think the Qi thing is a big deal, but a lot of others do.

I'm just just of surprised that no one has mentioned anything about it.

TravelBro

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people prefer to show the videos and pics wireless to the TV. Even my old android and lumia does it.

If they add hdmi they should just add 4 USB ports for a printer, mouse, external keyboard and external desktop sound system.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I was just comparing it to the Galaxy S4 and noticed it had HDMI. Of course I know they like to throw everything and 10 kitchen sinks in every galaxy.... just because.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people prefer to show the videos and pics wireless to the TV. Even my old android and lumia does it.

If they add hdmi they should just add 4 USB ports for a printer, mouse, external keyboard and external desktop sound system.

hdmi out would work on any tv made in the last 10 years. UPNP/DLNA is relatively obscure still, and the majority of implementations are so terrible that getting it to work is a crapshoot. Moreover wireless transfer requires bandwidth, good signal, etc... HDMI out would be direct, better quality, won't drop the signal or fail, includes less components so has less opportunity to fail... There's a long list of reasons.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I find HDMI on a portable device to be more troublesome than anything. Then again, I almost never try to connect to other people's tvs. Honestly, airplay with an Apple Tv is still the best wirless method for getting what is on your screen to the tv, no matter what you are doing. If only it worked with non-apple products (and I mean fully and well).

EnemiesInTheEnd

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

If you can use the internet on your tv, then you can use Nokia Screen Beamer app to put your display on the television.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
None of my televisions support DLNA. I happen to think it was have been nice if my 1520 had a HDMI port but it was never a deal breaker.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
A little on topic and off. I have both Nokia beamer and Playto on my phone. What's the difference between the two?

Nokia Beamer streams everything you do on the phone on to a second screen using the internet, a web browser and connecting though Nokia servers. Whatever you do on the phone is displayed on the second screen. I tried it through my LTE cell connection and it was definitely laggy. I don't think it would be sufficient as an hdmi replacement.

PlayTo streams only media through your wifi network through a standard called DLNA. It can probably be used over the internet as well, but I never tried it so maybe someone else can chime in.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
UPNP/DLNA is relatively obscure still, and the majority of implementations are so terrible that getting it to work is a crapshoot.

Odd. I bought my TV years ago and Nokia PlayTo is how I watch a lot of TV news. Podcasts are downloaded automatically daily and when I get home I just run PlayTo and the podcasts play on the TV. Even easier than having cable and a DVR. Pretty civilized in my opinion. Set up PlayTo to work at my girlfriend's place as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre