Waze = MASSIVE battery drain?

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Im no stranger to using GPS apps on my 925. I have played with just about all of them. I installed and used Waze today and I really like it! Just one problem, and I think you know what it is from the title. I installed Waze early in the day and still had 90% battery left. Within 2 hours, I was at 58%!!!!! That was WITHOUT LOADING IT YET! I rebooted thinking something got stuck in RAM. I logged into Waze, and quit out. 2 hours later, im at 28%. WOW!!! This was with light useage! At the end of my day, I had 18% and put it in the car charger on my way home. Normally my phone at the end of the day will have 50-60% left. 80% battery drain in 6 hours is just insane.

Has anyone else tried Waze on the 925? I unstalled it and will go tomorrow without to see if I get back into normal battery usage.

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Waze is a big battery drain when in use. Its like that on iOS and Android. I downloaded the app but it doesn't drain the battery when its not being used for me.

Daniel Szabadi

May 29, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't drain battery when not loaded for me (L920).
Check background tasks and block it, and then restart (it was enabled automatically for me after installation).
However today Ive been testing it out... 3g network, phone 100% charged. In less than 1 hour (~50mins) of usage, the battery went down to 65%... and this was with constant chargin with Nokia cr-200 in the car... now this is insane.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Why use Google-owned Waze when we have HERE Drive, which is superior?

Google refuses to support Youtube on WP8 because they can't serve ads, but they're okay with launching Waze? This basically means they have another way to collect your data to sell on.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
While I'm a fan of HERE Drive, it is not superior to Waze.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Waze has so much more to offer than HERE Drive+, although I do love that I can download maps and not use up my data while using the GPS with Drive+. I wouldn't say one is superior to the other, both have their pluses and minuses

It's great to use Waze to avoid traffic and find speed traps to avoid tickets. I don't think there's really a bug in the app that drains the battery. since car chargers never could keep up with Waze use on iPhones that I have used. Maybe Waze can do some optimizations, but that thing constantly updates data while using the GPS at the same time. Expect massive battery drains.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The OP is complaining about battery drain without even running Waze. My golly...

I installed Waze early in the day and still had 90% battery left. Within 2 hours, I was at 58%!!!!! That was WITHOUT LOADING IT YET!

Waze properly shuts down, in any device it runs on iOS (my then iPhone 4s), Android (my Xperia V) and Windows Phone 8 (my HTC 8S).

ViniBT

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed brutal drainage after installing Waze and Instagram BETA. Considering Waze keeps background tasks on, I tend to blame it.

I've just turned off the background task and I'll see what happens.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Good thing I didn't buy a Lumia 925 then. My HTC 8S doesnt suffer from additional battery drain by just having Waze installed.

ViniBT

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm Waze heavily uses battery even when closed.

Turned off background tasks for this app and my phone got a better battery life again. Hopefully it'll be 30h as before installing the app. With Waze's tasks running on background it was 10h!

I use a L920 by the way.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm bailing out of this Nokia thread. I can confirm I don't experience unusual battery drain when Waze is not running.

Daniel Szabadi

May 29, 2013
Visit site
wth... my first thing was to check background tasks after installing waze, and disable it and restart phone (this is what I always do after installing an app).
Don't misunderstand I DO use background tasks (for like viber, weather app, chronos calendar),
but why on earth would you want a map/navigation app to use background tasks??? The bigger problem is the battery drain when Waze is actually running... thats terrible.
But many ppl have already reported this on the official Waze support forum so I hope they will fix it asap. :)

ViniBT

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, the app should at least offer the option to disable background tasks on installation (just like so many apps do).

This little thing can ruin the experience of a regular (and not geek) use, since they see battery lasting a few hours and tend to blame the manufacturer, the OS...

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't get any abnormal battery drain while Waze isn't running, but when it is running, I might as well just bathe the phone in electrons. 50 minute drive home took down half my battery charge.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I use Waze on my 520 for my hour commute, and I usually go from 100% to 70-75% by the time I get to work. This is with no car charger. I also haven't noticed any abnormal battery drain when it isn't loaded. I have the background task enabled.

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I too have noticed that when Waze is running it drains the battery faster than Michael Moore at an all you can eat fried chicken party. Seriously it my car charger won't even keep up with it! I just turned off it's background ability, so i'll see over the next couple days if it helps me general battery usage.

And for those wondering why you'd want it to use background threads, I guess it is for when you start the app on your commute, but while stopped at a light you go check your email or something. Waze can continue to report your speed,etc... back as you drive, even when it isn't running in the foreground. However, seems to me if you Shutdown it, it shouldn't be running and using any battery.

Anyone else annoyed you have to confirm you want to Shutdown? Grrr, that's why I clicked the damn back button. At the very least, the countdown default button should be the Shutdown not the cancel.

Hamberthm

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Waze gets my 925 way too hot and battery drains extremely fast when in use. I think it's not good at all for our batteries, it's a good app but I won't be using it again until it gets updated and optimized.

The people who are saying it does consume battery even when closed, are wrong. You're not closing it properly poeple. When in Waze, hit the back key until it shows a sign asking if you're sure to shut Waze off. Once you hit yes, it's properly closed and there won't be ANY background tasks at all. You don't need to block anything. Just close it right (not by pressing the Windows key, the only thing that does is sending it to background, a.k.a. minimizing it)!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)