Lumia 920 OIS defect :(

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.. My Lumia 920 is just a month old. I've tried countless of times but no matter how hard i try i get blurry images 90 percent of times. I guess my OIS is not working or OIS itself is making shakes instead of cancelling them. I'm here attaching a link to my skydrive folder which has 3 images 2 taken with 920 with Nokia camera, Amber update and 1 with my old Xperia U. Taken with custom settings, at ISO 800 and shutter speed 1 second for both the images with Lumia 920. And set ISO 800 on Xperia U also and when checked through Quickpic Android photo viewer app it shows Xperia's photo is also taken with shutter speed 1 second. 90 percent of times I get blurry images on my 920 and got a good image with my Xperia U in just first try. The shake in Lumia's worst image is just too much I think. Xperia U with it's mediocre 5MP camera and no OIS was able to capture a good picture. But i don't understand that videos with Lumia 920 are quite smooth and steady, i don't get what's wrong with my phone.. :(
Here's the link, https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...5&authkey=!AAJBiC9yA2-U6KQ&ithint=folder,.jpg

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The 920 has a 'fast' wide aperture lens, which means it can capture a lot of light in a short amount of time. 1 second is quite a long exposure and trying to steady your hand for that long can result in blurry pictures. Try keeping the ISO on 800 but lower the shutter speed by half or more. Play around and you'll get a much sharper result. It's also a good idea to use the focus assist light if you haven't been. If you want to learn more about taking pictures, check the thread in my signature.

Last edited:

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Does that mean my Lumia is alright? Please check the link and see the images. By the way I already had checked your thread and it's really good. But still if you once view the images, it would be better. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there's anything wrong with your 920 from those pictures or your description. Have a play around and see if you can get better results. If you're still having the same problem after that we'll try to help you out further!

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there's anything wrong with your 920 from those pictures or your description. Have a play around and see if you can get better results. If you're still having the same problem after that we'll try to help you out further!

Oh.. Thank you very much. I'll play with my camera more and then post here.. :)

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Seem like your picture's blurred by shaking. Although the 920 has wide aperture and OIS but it still has its limit. If the light's too low then there'll be 2 things that can affect your picture:
1) The capture time is too long to stable enough to capture without shaking (even with OIS)
2) The light's too low to focus properly which can lead to out of focus picture.

Did you try to capture in a better light source? Not daylight, just indoor.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I had kept focus to infinity so that's not the problem. I understand that 1 second is still longer shutter time but I just don't get how come my Xperia U captured more steady picture. I'm in completely love with 920's camera that it captures more light than even my eyes can see but no matter how steady I keep my hands the picture gets blurred. That doesn't happen when I put my phone on a table (don't have a tripod) but handheld it blurs every low light picture, some times even on auto settings. I think the slight vibrations that my hands pass to the phone, the OIS somehow amplifies them. That's why I first captured the photo with Xperia U at ISO 800 and the Xperia itself took 1 second shutter time. Then on Lumia, I put focus to infinity, ISO the same 800 and shutter speed 1 second just for the comparison purpose, after 8 tries I got a good shot. All the other 7 photos are the same, so much shaking and my hands were not shaking that much.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
With 0.5 second shutter speed indoors i can get clear picture with CFL light and with ISO 100 it captures highly detailed images but i have to keep my hands super steady. Otherwise, it gets blurred by slight vibrations, i think OIS should cancel these slight vibrations.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
When I hold my phone in just one hand, I can see shakiness in the viewfinder when I'm in camera mode but when I switch to video mode, the viewfinder is rock steady. Does that mean OIS isn't working for still photos?? Any kind of bug?? And too bad I thought this forum was for helping newbies.. Isn't there any other 920 owner who would shed some info on my doubts?? :(

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Guys, the viewfinder looks rock stable in video mode, while it isn't as stable in photos mode. Is it normal or any problem with my phone?? I just want to know if my phone is alright? Is OIS made stronger in video mode?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
OIS mainly comes into play when recording videos, because of shaky hands and moving subjects. OIS doesn't have much to do with still photography, except under low light conditions. Photos might come out blurry if you have long exposure times.

h_portal

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Even the best OIS systems can't deal easily with ultra slow shutter speeds like 1/4sec or more. Without OIS, you are in the risk of motion blur from about 1/30sec. with VR (Nikon OIS) I can achieve 1/6, 1/8 shots depending on the lens (wider angle lens suffer less from motion blur), Panasonic's Power OIS is a tad more powerfull so I can do 1/4, 1/6 shots .

The 920's OIS is very impressive as I had made even 1/2s. shots (try and error, timer on, holding breath, holding phone with two hands and in very stable position)... The good thing about this is that being able to use slow shutter speeds, allow me to use low ISO sensitivity for best quality :)

BobPro2

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
To avoid blur from tapping the screen or shutter button at slow shutter speeds: use the "timer" function in the Nokia Camera app.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Guys thank you very very very much.. I just noticed that the viewfinder is the same rock solid when I focus in photo mode. I was just so worried.. Such a relief!!! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes