Still waiting for 929, now what?

timmpete

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
So my Sprint contract has been up for over a week now, and I have been planning on going to Verizon due the superior network. My wife and I will be joining my brother (currently using old prepaid flip phone), and both of them are anxious to get moving over to Verizon, so I don't really have an option of waiting it out at Sprint.

It seems as though I have two options with Verizon: get a "free" 928 with a new contract, or purchase a used one so that I can upgrade once the 929 (or something else) comes out. If I go with the latter, it looks like my options (for Windows 8 phones) are: HTC 8X, Lumia 928, Lumia 822, or the Samsung ATIV.

What would you do?

timmpete

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Verizon Edge Plan allows you to upgrade your phone frequently. If that's is your thing. Verizon Edge - Verizon Wireless

That doesn't look that appealing to me, it is essentially financing a phone, by paying retail for it. I'm not going to have any less of a service contract, so there is no up side for me. Especially since I'm not looking to upgrade every 6 months (just need to buy a little time until new WP comes out), nor am I looking to lock myself into an additional monthly payment. If I'm going to have to buy a year old phone, I'll find it used on e-bay.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
In your situation I'd probably pick up a used 928 saving my upgrade for the 929 whenever it comes out. Its always possible by then if its later in Q1 that something else might catch your eye. I wouldn't want to use my first upgrade freebie on the 928 tho. I was planning on getting the 929 myself, but have been wanting to test drive the AT&T network as it would be cheaper for me. So since its(929) not coming out for awhile I'm taking advantage of this situation to get a 1520 and go prepaid at $60 a month for as long as I need to, while keeping my Verizon account open. I can save near $50 a month going with AT&T by switching. If I can adjust to the lesser coverage factor that may not be the issue I have always thought it would be I just might make that switch.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Verizon Edge program is garbage. It's a great way to throw your money away.

What i'm doing is buying a used 822 off ebay to tide me over until the 929 comes out. I'll either use my upgrade on the 929 on the first day it's out, or i'll buy another phone before then and sell it on ebay and buy the 929 straight up with the $ I make from the sale.

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So if you're moving from Sprint to Verizon, your only option is to get a phone on contract. You would have to get the free 928, then pay retail price for the 929 is released. You can buy a used phone if you want, but you'll need a new plan to put it on. If you have a new plan, you can't get a "discounted upgrade" later for the 929, because you're eligible for a discounted upgrade after two years.
Whether you come to Verizon with a used 928 or get a free 928 from them, if you start a new contract with Verizon now, you'll be paying full price for the 929 (rumored to be $500).

timmpete

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
So if you're moving from Sprint to Verizon, your only option is to get a phone on contract. You would have to get the free 928, then pay retail price for the 929 is released. You can buy a used phone if you want, but you'll need a new plan to put it on. If you have a new plan, you can't get a "discounted upgrade" later for the 929, because you're eligible for a discounted upgrade after two years.
Whether you come to Verizon with a used 928 or get a free 928 from them, if you start a new contract with Verizon now, you'll be paying full price for the 929 (rumored to be $500).

Per my conversation just now with Olivia at my local Verizon store, if I am providing the equipment, i.e. a used 928/822 from ebay, there is no contract, and I can enter into one and get the discount when a phone that I liked is launched.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Per my conversation just now with Olivia at my local Verizon store, if I am providing the equipment, i.e. a used 928/822 from ebay, there is no contract, and I can enter into one and get the discount when a phone that I liked is launched.

Yup, there's no reason you couldn't do this.

rdviper96

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a company plan that was with AT&T. My boss (iPhone user) upgraded to the 5S and had terrible reception. So, he moved over to Verizon and took everyone with him. I had a Lumia 920 and it was great. This happened in October. I knew the Lumia 929 was coming so I didn't want to use the company's 2yr activation price on a Lumia 928. We hit up E-Bay and I was able to get a used, kind of beat up on the edges, Lumia 822 for $80. Phone works great. Definitely a downgrade from a Lumia 920 but it's held up well up to this point. If I were in your shoes (and I was), this is exactly what I'd do to get by and wait for the latest and greatest phone w/o putting too much money into a used one.

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Don't believe the hype, the phone isn't coming out until you hear a word from VZ, that's if you hear a word from VZ. Look at how they released the HTC One Max, no preorders or announcements. That's how VZ roles.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Don't overthink this. Your first plan is the best. Heck, the L822 would be an even cheaper option and is every bit the phone the L928 is, so long as you are not a photo buff and don't mind a "lesser" looking device as the L822 is not considered as nice looking. But, if you are just waiting on a better WP 8.1 option or the L929 which is vaporware at this point, then buying a used WP to tied you over works.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
What exactly do they gain in being so secretive about the release dates of these phones? Maybe I'm missing something here? The most that this strategy would do is cause one to doubt the phone will ever be released and buy another brand, possibly even switch carriers. If the 21st was even a plausible potential date then the phone would have to be tested, manufactured and ready to ship. So unless they're blowing smoke I can't understand why they wouldn't just announce a date.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
They don't want to announce dates of upcoming phones so that the sales of existing phone won't be affected.
If you were in the market for a Windows Phone, but knew there was a new one coming out in a week, you would wait and not buy what is at the store now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte