Nokia Lumia 1520 Unlocked

Mediademics

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: nokia lumia 1520 unlocked

I did not call them, I used the chat on the international support page you linked to. I spoke with two reps then was transferred to a Manager and got the same run around that they are unable to unlock the phone and kept trying to send me to the device unlock URL. When I told them I will be traveling outside the country they just pitched their international service/rates.

I guess the best thing I can do is port my number from T-Mobile to a GoPhone plan and keep trying then switch back once successful.

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

If your willing to spend around $600 for the phone but not $150 for the unlock then that is in my mind band preparation. I purchased these devices aware that the unlock may cost me more than I would want but that is the cost of importing a phone not made for the UK.

I can't check if all 3 are $150 but when I went to unlock my 1020 I found a couple that were and then found one that was $19.99 and that worked. Of course those of you in the US could just switch to AT&T which isn't an option for me.

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

If your willing to spend around $600 for the phone but not $150 for the unlock then that is in my mind band preparation. I purchased these devices aware that the unlock may cost me more than I would want but that is the cost of importing a phone not made for the UK.

I can't check if all 3 are $150 but when I went to unlock my 1020 I found a couple that were and then found one that was $19.99 and that worked. Of course those of you in the US could just switch to AT&T which isn't an option for me.

things have changed thats why unlocking iphones cost around 100 bucks, because the way to do it is no longer available, and same goes for lumias so no more 19.99.

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

It appears I may well be the first person to try these tomorrow when I get my 1520 and 2520.

I was hoping that someone else would have a go first and report success however!

Mediademics

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

It appears I may well be the first person to try these tomorrow when I get my 1520 and 2520.

I was hoping that someone else would have a go first and report success however!

Please fill us in on whether the third party unlocks worked. Not sure how they would if AT&T will not give them out. Of course I have never unlocked a phone before and do not fully understand how it all works.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Please fill us in on whether the third party unlocks worked. Not sure how they would if AT&T will not give them out. Of course I have never unlocked a phone before and do not fully understand how it all works.

It's a randomly generated number assigned to the IMEI of the phone. My best guess on how they get these unlocked codes is they know someone on the inside at Nokia or AT&T.

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

I believe that there is a database provided by Nokia and they can calculate the unlock code based off an algorithm.

Or they may well know someone inside AT&T or Nokia. However it works doesn't matter.

I unlocked my 1020 using a third party site when AT&T told me it wasn't possible so they do work.

Mediademics

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

I ended up signing up on a GoPhone plan with a new number. If I end up liking the device and service I will port my T-Mobile number. During that time I will keep at trying to get it unlocked.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

This says DTM feature and WCDM1700/2100 (Band 4) will be disabled from RM-940. The RM-940 is the AT&T phone. Band 4 is T-Mobile
This is the phone that went through the FCC.
Nokia Lumia 1520 passes through FCC

Thanks for pointing that out. I was going by the Nokia U.S. spec page which has an AT&T logo on it: Nokia Lumia 1520 - 4G Smartphone with 20MP Camera - Nokia - USA You would expect it to accurate, but it's not. Now carriers can say their phones are unlocked to the FCC, but it does nobody any good because you can't switch carriers with them. What a joke.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for pointing that out. I was going by the Nokia U.S. spec page which has an AT&T logo on it: Nokia Lumia 1520 - 4G Smartphone with 20MP Camera - Nokia - USA You would expect it to accurate, but it's not. Now carriers can say their phones are unlocked to the FCC, but it does nobody any good because you can't switch carriers with them. What a joke.
Conflicts in specs which in a round about way seem to be from the same source.
Just have to wait and see what real world speed tests are on an unlocked phone on T-Mobile. Just because you have an LTE symbol by the connection bars doesn't always mean you have LTE speeds.
Is their any other things check on an unlocked phone on T-Mobile?

gepepper

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
What was your relationship with AT&T when you asked to get it unlocked for travel? Contract? Prepaid? Also, does internet sharing work on t-mobile?

7anooof

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
can someone tell a place to get the 1520 unlocked cause att are not letting me unlock it ? really would like the phone before i go home.
(7,000) miles away:winktongue:

blur510

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
can someone tell a place to get the 1520 unlocked cause att are not letting me unlock it ? really would like the phone before i go home.
(7,000) miles away:winktongue:

here is how I got them to unlock my phone, I really didn't try any tricks, I just read the requirements and I qualify, I bought my phone outright so it is not under contract.
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Here are the specifics.

Customer-Specific Requirements
• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:◦ Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term
◦ Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: the customer must wait 14 days after the device upgrade has been completed to request an unlock of the previous device.
◦ Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee

Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).

Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months.

Most of the reps I spoke to tried to tell me that I have to have the device active for six months (text in blue) but it isn't true. that applies only to gophones/prepaid phones.
What I tell them is that the account has been active for more than 60 days (blue text) and that the account is in good standing. Again it's the account that has to be active not the device. The reps don't understand the requirements properly and you might have to keep chatting till you find a rep that is able to understand the rule as it is written. Also I had to chat with someone from customer service and not international chat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb