04-05-2016 11:55 PM
357 ... 12131415
tools
    My unlocked AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020 (RM-877) was updated to Denim the other day, and the matteni method still works for me.
    05-16-2015 02:52 AM
    Hello all. I followed the instructions at the start of this forum not realizing that using Straight Talk I would have big problems. I did manage to reinstall Access Point, but it doesn't open. It seems like sophisticated users on this thread, so if anyone has advice on how to successfully reinstall Access Point it would be much appreciated. I have no data or MMS now over cellular.

thanks.
    05-16-2015 11:36 AM
    I actually have Matteni's method printed and folded with the foreign SIM. I keep it in a pocket to bring everywhere with me incase the phone decides to reboot.

- Edit
    Am 1diot. Missed one hyphen in APN settings. All is well.
    Last edited by PYY; 05-18-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    05-18-2015 02:14 PM
    Just updated the DP, used the method and all is still working.
    05-19-2015 02:22 PM
    Hello. Me again. Occasionally, my phone says that there is "No SIM" card in the device even though there is. Usually I can just pop out the tray and then close it back to fix the problem. Sometimes I have to restart/soft reboot it to fix it. I hate having to do it this way because I have to do the foreign SIM hack all over again.

My problem is that I have recently restarted my phone due to the "No SIM" error and Access Point is unavailable for download. The webpage says that it is only for Windows10. Is there a backup Access Point hosted elsewhere?

- Edit
    I found a separate link from WindowsCentral page and it seemed to work.
    08-03-2015 03:31 PM
    Can you add the link here? The app is not coming up from search like it used to. Thanks.
    08-07-2015 01:15 AM
    Can you add the link here? The app is not coming up from search like it used to. Thanks.
    Link is specified in the first post :-)

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...3-25c10463942d
    08-26-2015 12:22 PM
    does anyone know if Matteni's method is still working in Windows 10 Mobile latest build?
    09-25-2015 09:30 AM
    I bought a uk o2 sim, tried your instructions but it still prompts me when enabling internet sharing to download a tmobile app to enable sharing. it is enabled on the tmobile sim because when I put it in an unlocked iPhone 4 it works fine. just not on my unlocked 920. any ideas?

thanks
    09-30-2015 08:05 PM
    Just curious.....how is it that my phone (unlocked ATT-branded Lumia 1020) works fine with Rogers SIM (I still have an active data plan) using internet sharing, but not T-Mobile? That is, I can put in my Rogers SIM, turn on internet sharing with no problem; but when I put in T-Mobile SIM, it doesn't work? Couldn't T-Mobile just do what Rogers did to get it working?
    Last edited by coolibop; 10-02-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    10-02-2015 01:05 PM
    Is this still the only recommended way? I got a 920 and recently moved to T-Mobile.

Is this still relevant for Win10 or does Win10 knows how to address this issue better? I haven't upgraded yet but wondering if it worth the trouble if Win10 will fix this issue.

If not ... Guess I should take the opportunity which I have a visitor with a foreign SIM.
    10-11-2015 04:08 PM
    Is this still the only recommended way? I got a 920 and recently moved to T-Mobile.

Is this still relevant for Win10 or does Win10 knows how to address this issue better? I haven't upgraded yet but wondering if it worth the trouble if Win10 will fix this issue.

If not ... Guess I should take the opportunity which I have a visitor with a foreign SIM.
    For W10, this is not required, it just works (using my w10 920)
    10-17-2015 02:21 PM
    Update: So I upgraded my 1020 to w10 build 10572 from wp8.1 and internet sharing still doesn't work. I'm assuming my 920s internet sharing works because I did a factory reset after updating that to w10.

Update 2: So here's what I did. Before this, I uninstalled access point (that came with wp8.1) thinking that it'll fix internet sharing. It didn't. So I turned off the phone, used a foreign sim, turned on my phone. My w10 1020 didn't recognized it so i fiddled with it like i tried turning on internet sharing and scanned for networks and somehow it detected ATT, TMO, and VZW so i selected TMO, but nothing happened. With my phone turned on, I swapped it with my tmobile sim, and the phone rebooted itself. Now internet sharing works!
    Last edited by ClixT; 10-25-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    10-25-2015 12:26 PM
    Another way to do this that works for me is:

i) Insert foreign SIM. Reboot phone
    ii) Turn on Internet Sharing
    iii) With Internet Sharing still on and running, eject the foreign SIM and insert the T-Mobile SIM

No messing around with dates or uninstalling stuff.

Internet Sharing will continue to be available until the phone is rebooted. You can Internet Sharing on and off fine and it remembers the setting. If the phone reboots you're back to square one though, so keep your foreign SIM and a sim tool handy if you go with this option.

I'm not sure if you need any credit on your foreign SIM to get this working. I am fortunate to have a Three UK contract SIM, so turning on data roaming and Internet Sharing for the purposes of executing this trick is free for me. YMMV.
    11-07-2015 09:58 PM
    Just curious.....how is it that my phone (unlocked ATT-branded Lumia 1020) works fine with Rogers SIM (I still have an active data plan) using internet sharing, but not T-Mobile? That is, I can put in my Rogers SIM, turn on internet sharing with no problem; but when I put in T-Mobile SIM, it doesn't work? Couldn't T-Mobile just do what Rogers did to get it working?
    For T-Mo try setting fastest speed to 3g and then it should work fine. I remember reading about T-Mo not being happy with sharing LTE. I have an unlocked pentaband CV 920 and in order to turn on internet sharing I have to switch to 3g and always works trouble free.
    11-07-2015 10:07 PM
    Setting data speed to 3G has no effect for me, unfortunately. I still need to use a workaround to enable tethering.
    11-19-2015 06:47 PM
    I found that installing the latest version of Window 10 Mobile (Fast track Windows Insider), that I was able to get the Mobile Hotspot to function. I tried every trick to get my AT&T Unlocked Lumia 920 Internet Sharing to work on T-Mobile with Windows Phone 8.1, but nothing worked. Make sure that "access point" is not installed before installing Windows 10 Mobile, it will cause problems. After Windows 10 is installed, you will have to set the APN and MMS settings in Network->cellular + SIM.

APN: fast.t-mobile.com
    MMSC Server: mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

Test that it works by sending a picture text message to yourself, this is a good indicator that the Mobile Hotspot (Internet Sharing, Tethering) will work. Then try enabling the Mobile Hotspot, hopefully it works.
    11-20-2015 12:38 PM
    I tried this on my unlocked ATT lumen 920 on T-Mobile running 586.11 but still get the message "current data plan doesn't allow, etc"

I can hotspot my T-Mobile lumia 925 fine. I wonder what the difference is.
    11-20-2015 06:28 PM
    For T-Mo try setting fastest speed to 3g and then it should work fine. I remember reading about T-Mo not being happy with sharing LTE. I have an unlocked pentaband CV 920 and in order to turn on internet sharing I have to switch to 3g and always works trouble free.
    Nope, that didn't work.
    11-20-2015 11:10 PM
    Nope, that didn't work.
    Sorry to hear. I used to have an AT&T L920 and the foreign sim trick worked like a charm even through WP8.1. That phone died and I have since been using a penta-band MX-CV L920 and internet sharing now works like a charm, I just have to turn down fasted data speed to 3G and it works without any hiccups. If I leave it set to max speed LTE then I still get the error message.
    11-22-2015 03:20 PM
    I see this thread is still living. I think two weeks ago I used this trick after breaking my Internet Sharing (IS) by installing Access Point and/or Network+ apps (I wanted to fix group messaging). I have 928 from Verizon and I don't have to switch to 3G for IS, but my MMS doesn't work (it never did) and for txt msg I need switch to 2G..

Just sharing my experience, maybe somebody finds this useful. And btw I'm running 8.1 w/ latest update
    11-22-2015 03:34 PM
    Has anyone tried to debrand the AT&T Lumia 1020 with any success to get around this problem? I noticed a post on XDA developers forum that seemed to be able to do this...
    11-29-2015 04:10 PM
    I found that installing the latest version of Window 10 Mobile (Fast track Windows Insider), that I was able to get the Mobile Hotspot to function. I tried every trick to get my AT&T Unlocked Lumia 920 Internet Sharing to work on T-Mobile with Windows Phone 8.1, but nothing worked. Make sure that "access point" is not installed before installing Windows 10 Mobile, it will cause problems. After Windows 10 is installed, you will have to set the APN and MMS settings in Network->cellular + SIM.

APN: fast.t-mobile.com
    MMSC Server: mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

Test that it works by sending a picture text message to yourself, this is a good indicator that the Mobile Hotspot (Internet Sharing, Tethering) will work. Then try enabling the Mobile Hotspot, hopefully it works.
    Interesting...I just upgraded my Lumia 1020 to W10 10586.11 (Slow ring) and I still have problems :(. I suspect the foreign SIM workaround would work but have not tried it yet (nor on 8.1). I do have Access Point installed so I will try, I suppose I may have to revert back to 8.1, uninstall AP, then upgrade back to W10.

Update: So in fooling around with my phone; I somehow got mobile hotspot working on T-Mobile on my ATT Lumia 1020 on W10 10586.11 (slow ring)! Not quite sure what happened...Here is what I did incase those with more technical knowledge may diagnose/figure it out:

Popped out T-Mobile SIM and inserted an old Rogers (Canada) SIM that is no longer active (phone automatically rebooted)
    Added T-Mobile internet APN information manually (even though this was Rogers SIM)
    Popped out Rogers SIM and inserted T-Mobile sim (phone automatically rebooted)
    Sent myself an MMS to test and received okay
    Shortly after, got an error message from Access Point indicating something was wrong and may need a reboot; I just ignored this
    Noticed the T-Mobile Internet APN wasn't there after this error message (and data would not work)
    Manually added T-Mobile internet APN (I did not select 'use this APN instead of one provided by my network operator')
    Turned on internet sharing and it works! (toggling on/off also works without error)
    Last edited by coolibop; 12-01-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    12-01-2015 09:24 AM
    So, did you roll back to 8.1, delete access point and then update to w10 insider before getting hotspot working? I am on 10586.29, but cannot get hotspot to work on an att mvno sim. It works on 8.1 on developer preview.
    12-09-2015 07:28 PM
    Nope. I had AP installed on 8.1, and couldn't get it working. I upgraded to win10 (on 10586.11 then) and performed the above.

Every time my phone resets or is updated, I get the AP error message; but hotspot continues to work fine. Since I already installed the latest update and haven't swapped sim cards (as above), I wonder if its just the SIM settings. Have you tried to apply internet APN (without checking the use this APN for LTE... box; checking apply profile box) and MMS profile?
    12-10-2015 07:45 AM
357 ... 12131415