04-05-2016 11:55 PM
357 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Just got a UK sim - says "Pay & Go Go Go " on the package - think it actually displayed o2 once installed.

I can confirm my unlocked AT&T 920 now has Internet sharing on Straight Talks ATT system. Didn't have any issues previously with MMS with my setup, but couldn't use the internet sharing until now.

Thanks OP!!!
    trooters likes this.
    02-17-2014 08:59 PM
    I followed the instructions as stated and it did not work. I got a hold of a Rogers SIM to do the trick with and MMS plus Internet sharing still does not work nor sending mms. I followed everything exact
    02-19-2014 12:28 AM
    Is it cool to use am Ultra sim???
    02-19-2014 04:27 AM
    I can confirm this worked for my ATT 1020 that I had unlocked by ATT so I could use it on T-Mobile USA. I used an Orange SIM card I bought off Amazon.

What I am more curious about is how we gain the ability to use our phones without resorting to a workaround - ie you install Access Point and it just works! I actually contacted Nokia technical support about this, needless to say they were beyond unhelpful.

Despite the fact that my phone works now after using the method, and the fact that the error message (before using this workaround) says that I just need to upgrade my T-mobile plan to enable internet sharing (catch-22, the plan already supports sharing), they continued to state that ANY Lumia devices in the US and Canada are only meant to work on the carrier they are branded for.

The obvious catch-22 here is that Nokia does not sell any unlocked devices directly to anyone in North America, so you really have no option but to buy an ATT or T-Mobile phone. The other catch-22, regarding the internet sharing error message and the fact that the work around does enable a 100% functional phone, is that apparently it is Nokia corporate policy to not enable 100% functionality across carriers for North American phones that have been unlocked. This would probably explain why having access point installed and having all of your settings correct always results in the phone not working with internet sharing.

I'm not sure if this is a problem that can be fixed through T-Mobile changing something on their end or something Nokia needs to fix. My gut feeling is that it is Nokia who can solve this ultimately, but obviously they are not willing to fix it. Most likely because of contracts with ATT.

Tl/Dr - Nokia claims they cannot guarantee service outside of the network is branded for, and that their policy is to not allow the phones to function 100% after they have been unlocked.

What else can we do though? Email Elop? It seems that we are going to be punished with a not-100% functional phone for unlocking a device legally, using a compatible network and service plan, and using the standard method of using Access Point to configure the phone. The only way to get these phones working is to use a strange method to circumvent what seems to be an intentional restriction.
    andraeseus and knowname like this.
    02-21-2014 04:18 PM
    Followed these instructions with a UK vodafone sim card (New UK Vodafone Prepaid Pay as You Go Sim Card Good for Travel SHIP from USA | eBay) and internet sharing is now working on my ATT branded unlocked 920
    ClixT likes this.
    02-22-2014 01:23 AM
    I never had any issue with MMS on my Rogers 920 running on T-Mobile. I never was able to get Internet Sharing to work until I got the Black update this week. It now works perfectly. Didn't have to try any special techniques to get it working at all.
    02-22-2014 10:47 PM
    @canadian1der: I remembered reading this when it was posted, basically says Nokia will bow to the US carriers and no longer sell unlocked phones in the US, explains all the crap we are going through with these devices:

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lays-ou...nquer-america/

So basically we are stuffed if we want a truly unlocked device in the US.
    KongsPhone likes this.
    02-23-2014 01:25 PM
    I finally got MMS working on my phone, which was a big plus. Now I can't enable Internet Sharing. It takes me to the page for T-Mobile to sign up for it, which I already am with 2.5GB data plan. My workaround for the MMS was installing the Spanish Keyboard hack again and after wiping my phone and starting all over again.
    02-23-2014 11:39 PM
    It's really disappointing to be honest. I remember buying unlocked phones straight from Nokia off of their website, even when you could buy locked models straight from ATT. (RIP my old E71!) It's terrible annoying that they apparently admit to gimping branded-but-unlocked devices from working 100%.

I suppose I can deal with it, as long as we are able to continue using the workaround described by the original post. The question is what the future holds. Hopefully we can continue using this method after the coming Windows Phone 8.1 updates.
    KongsPhone likes this.
    02-24-2014 12:12 AM
    I never had any issue with MMS on my Rogers 920 running on T-Mobile. I never was able to get Internet Sharing to work until I got the Black update this week. It now works perfectly. Didn't have to try any special techniques to get it working at all.
    Open Access Point once and a restart will take you back to how it was before
    02-24-2014 03:45 AM
    unless something has changed. I have bought unlocked nokia devices in US. I bought the maemo n900 a few years ago (prob way more than a few) and it was unlocked. I bought from newyork, I think they also have stores in LA and Chicago. maybe something changed though.
    02-24-2014 07:44 AM
    unless something has changed. I have bought unlocked nokia devices in US. I bought the maemo n900 a few years ago (prob way more than a few) and it was unlocked. I bought from newyork, I think they also have stores in LA and Chicago. maybe something changed though.

Sorry, Nokia closed all its US stores and doesn't sell any unlocked phones in the US, no one does unless they are imports and apart from Rogers devices which are pentaband (and still technically a carrier phone) you can't buy a current US Nokia device unlocked and unbranded.
    canadian1der likes this.
    02-24-2014 11:24 AM
    MZ3 (and others) can you confirm internet sharing can be initiated on LTE as well? I could start sharing on everything but LTE before trying this out; Using a new Telus CA sim resulted in claims of no cellular data connection available AND no MMS functionality.
    02-25-2014 02:14 PM
    MZ3 (and others) can you confirm internet sharing can be initiated on LTE as well? I could start sharing on everything but LTE before trying this out; Using a new Telus CA sim resulted in claims of no cellular data connection available AND no MMS functionality.
    With my 1020, tethering works on lte.
    02-25-2014 02:50 PM
    I can confirm this worked for my ATT 1020 that I had unlocked by ATT so I could use it on T-Mobile USA. I used an Orange SIM card I bought off Amazon.
    Just bought this same sim and confirm that it works on both mine and my wife's ATT Lumia 1020s. Thanks for the link!
    02-25-2014 06:36 PM
    Confirmed working using a 3uk sim i cut down (its pretty old) on my unlocked att branded 920
    02-27-2014 01:13 AM
    My internet sharing works when it says LTE so I'm assuming yes. I can connect my surface to it and stream Netflix pretty well if that means anything
    02-28-2014 09:59 PM
    I tried this on my AT&T 920 with a Bell SIM from Canada. This did not work for me. If I am on 4G it works fine, but not if I'm on LTE. I was careful to follow the instructions exactly and even tried them a second time. Interestingly, when I try to enable internet sharing now, the failure message I see no longer mentions AT&T so the process did make some difference. It says I need to update my account to use internet sharing and gives me a link to T-Mobile's web page. I have the 2.5GB plan which is supposed to include tethering. Any suggestions?
    Kebero likes this.
    03-01-2014 09:53 AM
    Ok, so another update. I ordered a Virgin Mobile Canada Micro SIM from ebay, and followed all the steps for both access points on the SIM (a Bell and a Virgin AP), the Bell one didn't work in my wife's 1020, but the Virgin AP changed the message that I received on the phone. I double checked and triple checked the AP settings for T-Mobile, and everything was as it should be. I reinstalled Access Point, with the T-Mobile SIM in, and tried the internet sharing and it worked just fine. Connected a laptop to it and all. When I rebooted the phone, a message then pops up saying Internet tethering is not authorized on this account (or something like that). Now her internet sharing and MMS won't work, when MMS has been fine this whole time.

I'm trying the process on my 1520 right now and will update with those results...
    03-01-2014 01:57 PM
    I just ordered the Orange SIM card linked to above from Amazon, after trying a Centennial card I got from a cell phone store yesterday (didn't work). This is an add-on item so you can't just buy it, you have to buy $25 of other stuff, shipped from Amazon to be able to add this item to the order. We should start mailing these around to each other after we are finished with them. I'll do that with mine after I'm comfortable I won't need it again. One stamp and an envelope is no big deal compared to what I was just forced to buy from Amazon (stuff I needed/wanted anyway :-) )
    03-02-2014 03:36 PM
    Followed these instructions with a UK vodafone sim card (New UK Vodafone Prepaid Pay as You Go Sim Card Good for Travel SHIP from USA | eBay) and internet sharing is now working on my ATT branded unlocked 920
    I can verify that this works on unlocked ATT Lumia 920. I'm now a happy camper hehehe
    Sim needs to be cut to micro sim size though
    03-02-2014 11:18 PM
    I have tried this any way I can. I even transferred my service to Tmobile to follow the instructions exactly. This will NOT work with the 820. I keep getting the message "There's no data connection to share right now...." I get this even though I am able to connect to the internet and send pictures on texts. The only way I can get this to work is to follow the steps and then reinstall the Access Point app. This will work until I reboot and then Access Point will reset the settings from the Tmobile card and not work again.
    I have the exact same issue as maxmin. I've got an unlocked AT&T Nokia 1020 - works great with T-Mobile service, just no internet sharing. I got wind of this "workaround" and was excited to give it a shot!

Tried O2 SIM from Ireland and Vodaphone SIM from Spain - exact same results as maxmin:

"I followed the steps and I couldn't connect. I reinstalled the Access Point App and then I could connect. The problem is when rebooted the phone I could no longer connect. The same procedure applied to both ATT and T-Mobile. I couldn't connect without Access Point installed. But on reboot Access Point will read the sim card and loose the foreign settings." I also tried un-installing Access Point with the date trick while Internet Sharing was working. As soon as I rebooted, the foreign settings were lost.

I had already updated to Lumia Black before trying any of this.

Any tips, ideas, or suggestions?
    03-03-2014 12:09 PM
    I can confirm that this fix works on an AT&T 920 using a giffgaff micro sim. I'm on T-Mobile and LTE is being shared and MMS is working too.
    03-04-2014 11:31 AM
    Damn is there anyways to do this without a foreign microsim? How do you people get a foreign microsim?
    03-07-2014 11:26 AM
    Go to ebay - I had one sent from Great Britain - had it within a week.

This is the one I purchased --- https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...item3a8bdd23cc
    KongsPhone likes this.
    03-07-2014 03:57 PM
357 ... 23456 ...