Internet Sharing + MMS now working on AT&T 920 w/ USA T-Mobile SIM

Francis Feliciano

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
When you try the internet sharing, do your computers get forced to go to a tmobile internet site effectively making the internet sharing useless? Thx

This is happening to me on my unbranded 1520. Internet-sharing worked initially via Spanish keyboard hack. I think something changed after I updated via Preview for Developers.

Update: I reset the phone, and the internet sharing is not working even with the Spanish keyboard hack: It gets enabled but when a device connects to the hotspot, it asks for a log-in.

Last edited:

Alpo714

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys! I recently purchased the Lumia 1520 and have it unlocked on T-mobile's network. It appears that the internet sharing, even after two attempts, have not been able to work. Can someone please clarify Step 1 as it relates to "configure that it applies the foreign settings (it should read 'active')?" Does this mean I need to look up the settings for the foreign SIM card that I am using and input it into the Access Point? Please let me know!

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I will have to try this today. Hope it works. Everyone who seems to have worked for had previously branded devices.,mines is a unlocked one from the,build,conference. Will report back after tying.

sequoia464

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered an 02 sim from the UK and a Bell sim from Canada, hopefully one or the other will work.

Since I have screwed with my settings so much do you think a reset might be worthwhile once I get the sims? (everything currently works on a Straight Talk ATT sim - except internet sharing)

This is on an unlocked ATT 920.

swimmer160

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even have to use a foreign sim card. I used an ATT one (go figure). I now get tethering on my Lumia 1020 with T-Mobile :D
So I just tried this on my 1520, and I can confirm that it did NOT work. I get a message saying "Internet sharing isn't currently available". I'm going to try this with my wife's 1020 to see if there's success there.

edit: I can also confirm that this did NOT work on my wife's 1020 using the AT&T SIM. I followed all instructions and still get the error saying to contact att.com/mywireless to enable tethering. I'm going to order a foreign SIM and try my luck there.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Didn't work for me with an Aio wireless sim card, now get prompted to contact ATT to enable tethering. This is on a Rogers 1020. Also tried with the keyboard trick, still no go. Any tips?

MannyTheGerman

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if someone already post this suggestion.

If you don't have access to a foreign SIM, here is another work-around to get tethering working for AT&T 920 on T-MO:

Go to SETTINGS > CELLULAR and change the Internet APN to epc.tmobile.com. (This forces your phone to 4G only).
Next, set Internet Sharing to ON.
Finally, change the Internet APN back to fast.t-mobile.com. This will move your phone back to LTE and internet sharing continues to work on LTE.

Unfortunately, this is not a permanent fix, but it works and only takes a minute to set up.

A similar trick works on my Rogers 920:
Go to SETTINGS > CELLULAR and change the "Highest connection speed" to 3G
Next, set Internet Sharing to ON.
Connect your device
Go to SETTINGS > CELLULAR and change the "Highest connection speed" to LTE

- No access point installation needed

calvano915

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Worked for me :)

ATT Lumia 920 with black update. I got a sim on ebay for less than a dollar shipped for giffgaff which is a 02 network reseller in the UK. Followed instructions perfectly except for I installed the access point app on wireless with the UK sim already in the phone. I'm on tmobile in Las Vegas.

Thanks!!

sequoia464

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Just got a UK sim - says "Pay & Go Go Go " on the package - think it actually displayed o2 once installed.

I can confirm my unlocked AT&T 920 now has Internet sharing on Straight Talks ATT system. Didn't have any issues previously with MMS with my setup, but couldn't use the internet sharing until now.

Thanks OP!!!

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I followed the instructions as stated and it did not work. I got a hold of a Rogers SIM to do the trick with and MMS plus Internet sharing still does not work nor sending mms. I followed everything exact

canadian1der

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm this worked for my ATT 1020 that I had unlocked by ATT so I could use it on T-Mobile USA. I used an Orange SIM card I bought off Amazon.

What I am more curious about is how we gain the ability to use our phones without resorting to a workaround - ie you install Access Point and it just works! I actually contacted Nokia technical support about this, needless to say they were beyond unhelpful.

Despite the fact that my phone works now after using the method, and the fact that the error message (before using this workaround) says that I just need to upgrade my T-mobile plan to enable internet sharing (catch-22, the plan already supports sharing), they continued to state that ANY Lumia devices in the US and Canada are only meant to work on the carrier they are branded for.

The obvious catch-22 here is that Nokia does not sell any unlocked devices directly to anyone in North America, so you really have no option but to buy an ATT or T-Mobile phone. The other catch-22, regarding the internet sharing error message and the fact that the work around does enable a 100% functional phone, is that apparently it is Nokia corporate policy to not enable 100% functionality across carriers for North American phones that have been unlocked. This would probably explain why having access point installed and having all of your settings correct always results in the phone not working with internet sharing.

I'm not sure if this is a problem that can be fixed through T-Mobile changing something on their end or something Nokia needs to fix. My gut feeling is that it is Nokia who can solve this ultimately, but obviously they are not willing to fix it. Most likely because of contracts with ATT.

Tl/Dr - Nokia claims they cannot guarantee service outside of the network is branded for, and that their policy is to not allow the phones to function 100% after they have been unlocked.

What else can we do though? Email Elop? It seems that we are going to be punished with a not-100% functional phone for unlocking a device legally, using a compatible network and service plan, and using the standard method of using Access Point to configure the phone. The only way to get these phones working is to use a strange method to circumvent what seems to be an intentional restriction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon